You guys are overreacting, get off your high horse. "Embarrassing" is all the years we couldn't pack out our own arena for a Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Flyers game or having Rangers/Flyers fans buy out whole sections of our arena on StubHub during a playoff series wins. That's embarrassing.
But now you got people overreacting to the "Henrique! Henrique! Henrique!" chant last year (saying that it was a taunt/ripoff of the Rangers' "Henrik!" chant) and the "Rangers suck!" chant, others complaining that Baumann's chant is done one or two too many times per game, etc.. Then there were people making fun of the high school band/drumline guys last playoff as "busch league" and the Red Bulls Viking Army singing soccer songs, people made fun of them. Sometimes I think you guys would prefer 9,000 quiet people sitting on their hands every night.
Take the bad with the good. Be happy that we're not a New York or a Toronto whose fans have been entirely priced out. Real great "hockey tradition" there. The average fan or family who wants to go see a hockey game in New Jersey can afford to go and it just so happens that we've had better attendance this past two years than usual. Stop looking for things to complain about.
Unless we start hearing horror stories like Philly, where people are throwing up on little girls, or throwing lit cigarrettes, or starting fights in the parking lot, I'm very happy and proud of our fanbase... A "Rangers suck! Flyers swallow!" chant done a tasteful amount of times has become a funny tradition. If someone does it too many times, sure it's a little annoying, but don't join in; it's not the worst thing.
Let me go down the list:
1) Henrique chant: No real issues with that.
2) Ranger's Suck chant: Not a tradition as it is fairly new and is to the point where it is done more at the games than a "Let's go Devils" chant. What does that tell you about a fan base where they rather hate on another team than support their own. It's neither original nor funny or tasteful in any way and never was.
3) Baumann chant: Baumann used to do it only once a game (usually second period and sometimes third). He knew doing it more than that would be beating a dead horse and it made the chant extra special. Now that it is done 3-6 times a game with guys who cannot even get the timing right makes it just another chant.
4) Drumline: It's ok. What is bush league are the Beatles and Springsteen cover band nights.
5) Red Bull Vikings: Looks great when we need the fan club of another team from another sport's help to get the crowd to cheer for our own team. At least they would rather cheer FOR their team and not AGAINST the other.
6) We sold out a majority of the games this year and guess what: No one got priced out! There are also some other teams who sell out on a regular basis yet keep the cost at least somewhat reasonable. You just cherry-picked the two worst offenders with Toronto and the Rangers.
7) I have seen Devils fans harassing others and getting into fights as much as any other fanbase. Philly fans are always going to be the worst but that doesn't mean we are angels either.