179 replies to this topic

#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I don't know about bitter, but far too many Devil fans are just insecure and envious when it comes to the Rangers.  

Anytime, I go to a non-Rangers hockey game at the Rock and some idiot starts the "Rangers sucks" chant during a Devils vs Panthers game, my Ranger friends will just look at me and laugh, because he knows that is just envy and I can't defend that kind of insecurity.  Its actually kind of embarrising as a Devil fan.   I don't like the Rags, and I hate them when we play them, but they haven't done anything to garner that kind of attention.

I agree about the insecurity thing with some, but what exactly do the Devils fans have to be envious of?  This isn't, say, Mets fans wishing they had a history and tradition of success approaching what the Yankees have enjoyed.  Too many Rangers fans THINK playing in New York somehow makes them the Yankees of the NHL, but their history has been kind of a joke.  Not one Cup from 1941-1993?!  It's often forgotten that the Red Wings also had a loooooooooong stretch of insignificance, but they clearly with all of their recent success, that is understandably overlooked and forgotten.  Not only have the Rangers basically done little overall since 1941 other than 1994, they did little when they had the means to out-spend and out-resource just about any team that they wanted to.  I'm just not sure what is there for Devils fans to envy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 May 2013 - 11:50 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Alot of my good friends are Rag$ fans..........that is what makes it more fun.
\

same!

Posted Image Posted Image

#43 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I agree about the insecurity thing with some, but what exactly do the Devils fans have to be envious of?  This isn't, say, Mets fans wishing they had a history and tradition of success approaching what the Yankees have enjoyed.  Too many Rangers fans THINK playing in New York somehow makes them the Yankees of the NHL, but their history has been kind of a joke.  Not one Cup from 1941-1993?!  It's often forgotten that the Red Wings also had a loooooooooong stretch of insignificance, but they clearly with all of their recent success, that is understandably overlooked and forgotten.  Not only have the Rangers basically done little overall since 1941 other than 1994, they did little when they had the means to out-spend and out-resource just about any team that they wanted to.  I'm just not sure what is there for Devils fans to envy. 

It's probably the media attention that the Rangers get in the New York market, but that is an issue of geography more than anything.   Not sure why people would get so jealous of that.   

I usually just point to the fact that we have been to the finals several times in the past decade + and the Rangers haven't come near it. 

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#44 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

I don't think it has much to do with insecurity.  I think the issue is how obnoxiously arrogant Rangers fans get over every minor achievement and how much media attention and praise they get for no reason while the Devils rarely get the praise they deserve, which even Martin Brodeur mentioned at the press conference after they eliminated the Rangers last year and Scott Stevens alluded to during his speech at his jersey retirement ceremony.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#45 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I don't think it has much to do with insecurity.  I think the issue is how obnoxiously arrogant Rangers fans get over every minor achievement and how much media attention and praise they get for no reason while the Devils rarely get the praise they deserve, which even Martin Brodeur mentioned at the press conference after they eliminated the Rangers last year and Scott Stevens alluded to during his speech at his jersey retirement ceremony.

Again, that has more to do with geography.   If the Devils played in NYC they would be the darlings of the media.

As a hockey fan, you should have enough intelligence to consider the source of those minor achievements compared to the Devils achievements. 

That doesn't excuse the insecurity of the Devil "fans" screaming out "Rangers suck" during a Senators/Devils game.    It's the equivalent of going out on a date, getting drunk and having your date talk about his/her ex- all night, 

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#46 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

When thinking of Ranger fans, I think of a line from the movie 'Meet The Fockers' where Jack Burns is berating the Fockers: "I've never seen anyone celebrate mediocrity the way you people do!"
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#47 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

When thinking of Ranger fans, I think of a line from the movie 'Meet The Fockers' where Jack Burns is berating the Fockers: "I've never seen anyone celebrate mediocrity the way you people do!"

Classically apt.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#48 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

I don't know about bitter, but far too many Devil fans are just insecure and envious when it comes to the Rangers.  

Anytime, I go to a non-Rangers hockey game at the Rock and some idiot starts the "Rangers sucks" chant during a Devils vs Panthers game, my Ranger friends will just look at me and laugh, because he knows that is just envy and I can't defend that kind of insecurity.  Its actually kind of embarrising as a Devil fan.   I don't like the Rags, and I hate them when we play them, but they haven't done anything to garner that kind of attention.

My guess is your Rangers fan friends don't think twice about the "Potvin sucks" chants they do 12 times a game at the Garden.  Potvin has been retired for almost 20 years and they still do it, but its ok for the Rags because its "tradition."   

The "rangers suck" chant is at least somewhat relevant during a Devils/Sens game in February because (a) the Rags still play in the NHL, and (b) they do actually suck.  Rags fans don't like it because deep down inside they know its the truth. 

Posted Image

#49 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Again, that has more to do with geography.   If the Devils played in NYC they would be the darlings of the media.

As a hockey fan, you should have enough intelligence to consider the source of those minor achievements compared to the Devils achievements. 

That doesn't excuse the insecurity of the Devil "fans" screaming out "Rangers suck" during a Senators/Devils game.    It's the equivalent of going out on a date, getting drunk and having your date talk about his/her ex- all night, 

It's tradition. Why stop the "Rangers suck!" chant?

But I will say, the "Rangers suck!" chant every 5 minutes throughout 3 periods (especially when losing) is the dumbest most embarrassing thing our fans do sometimes. C'mon (dude whistling), learn how to know when a joke is dead.

#50 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

But I will say, the "Rangers suck!" chant every 5 minutes throughout 3 periods (especially when losing) is the dumbest most embarrassing thing our fans do sometimes. C'mon (dude whistling), learn how to know when a joke is dead.

I've been going to Devils games for about 20 years now.  This "tradition" of the Rangers Suck chants only go back about 10 years at most.  Plus when they used to do it, only a handful of people would chant it and not a quarter of the arena.  Only since the move to Newark do I hear them now going at least 3 times a period.

To sum it up, it's not a tradition.

Please stop it.

Edited by DevsMan84, 13 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#51 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

My guess is your Rangers fan friends don't think twice about the "Potvin sucks" chants they do 12 times a game at the Garden.  Potvin has been retired for almost 20 years and they still do it, but its ok for the Rags because its "tradition."   

The "rangers suck" chant is at least somewhat relevant during a Devils/Sens game in February because (a) the Rags still play in the NHL, and (b) they do actually suck.  Rags fans don't like it because deep down inside they know its the truth. 

That still doesn't make it relevent at all.

Let the Rangers and their fans have their dumb "traditions."  Just ripping one of theirs off for the past 8-10 years doesn't make ours right or better.

I swear every year I hear more of the Rangers suck chants than I do of "Let's go Devils" and it just shows what a huge inferiority complex our fanbase has.

#52 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I've been going to Devils games for about 20 years now.  This "tradition" of the Rangers Suck chants only go back about 10 years at most.  Plus when they used to do it, only a handful of people would chant it and not a quarter of the arena.  Only since the move to Newark do I hear them now going at least 3 times a period.

To sum it up, it's not a tradition.

Please stop it.

Amen.    It's not a tradition, it's an embaressment.

That still doesn't make it relevent at all.

Let the Rangers and their fans have their dumb "traditions."  Just ripping one of theirs off for the past 8-10 years doesn't make ours right or better.

I swear every year I hear more of the Rangers suck chants than I do of "Let's go Devils" and it just shows what a huge inferiority complex our fanbase has.

Also shows that you don't really have to understand hockey to buy tickets.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#53 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

You guys are overreacting, get off your high horse. "Embarrassing" is all the years we couldn't pack out our own arena for a Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Flyers game or having Rangers/Flyers fans buy out whole sections of our arena on StubHub during a playoff series wins. That's embarrassing.

But now you got people overreacting to the "Henrique! Henrique! Henrique!" chant last year (saying that it was a taunt/ripoff of the Rangers' "Henrik!" chant) and the "Rangers suck!" chant, others complaining that Baumann's chant is done one or two too many times per game, etc..  Then there were people making fun of the high school band/drumline guys last playoff as "busch league" and the Red Bulls Viking Army singing soccer songs, people made fun of them. Sometimes I think you guys would prefer 9,000 quiet people sitting on their hands every night.

Take the bad with the good. Be happy that we're not a New York or a Toronto whose fans have been entirely priced out. Real great "hockey tradition" there. The average fan or family who wants to go see a hockey game in New Jersey can afford to go and it just so happens that we've had better attendance this past two years than usual. Stop looking for things to complain about.

Unless we start hearing horror stories like Philly, where people are throwing up on little girls, or throwing lit cigarrettes, or starting fights in the parking lot, I'm very happy and proud of our fanbase... A "Rangers suck! Flyers swallow!" chant done a tasteful amount of times has become a funny tradition. If someone does it too many times, sure it's a little annoying, but don't join in; it's not the worst thing.

Edited by DJ Eco, 13 May 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#54 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

You guys are overreacting, get off your high horse. "Embarrassing" is all the years we couldn't pack out our own arena for a Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Flyers game or having Rangers/Flyers fans buy out whole sections of our arena on StubHub during a playoff series wins. That's embarrassing.

But now you got people overreacting to the "Henrique! Henrique! Henrique!" chant last year (saying that it was a taunt/ripoff of the Rangers' "Henrik!" chant) and the "Rangers suck!" chant, others complaining that Baumann's chant is done one or two too many times per game, etc..  Then there were people making fun of the high school band/drumline guys last playoff as "busch league" and the Red Bulls Viking Army singing soccer songs, people made fun of them. Sometimes I think you guys would prefer 9,000 quiet people sitting on their hands every night.

Take the bad with the good. Be happy that we're not a New York or a Toronto whose fans have been entirely priced out. Real great "hockey tradition" there. The average fan or family who wants to go see a hockey game in New Jersey can afford to go and it just so happens that we've had better attendance this past two years than usual. Stop looking for things to complain about.

Unless we start hearing horror stories like Philly, where people are throwing up on little girls, or throwing lit cigarrettes, or starting fights in the parking lot, I'm very happy and proud of our fanbase... A "Rangers suck! Flyers swallow!" chant done a tasteful amount of times has become a funny tradition. If someone does it too many times, sure it's a little annoying, but don't join in; it's not the worst thing.

Let me go down the list:

1) Henrique chant: No real issues with that.

2) Ranger's Suck chant:  Not a tradition as it is fairly new and is to the point where it is done more at the games than a "Let's go Devils" chant.  What does that tell you about a fan base where they rather hate on another team than support their own.  It's neither original nor funny or tasteful in any way and never was.

3) Baumann chant: Baumann used to do it only once a game (usually second period and sometimes third).  He knew doing it more than that would be beating a dead horse and it made the chant extra special.  Now that it is done 3-6 times a game with guys who cannot even get the timing right makes it just another chant.

4) Drumline: It's ok.  What is bush league are the Beatles and Springsteen cover band nights.

5) Red Bull Vikings:  Looks great when we need the fan club of another team from another sport's help to get the crowd to cheer for our own team.  At least they would rather cheer FOR their team and not AGAINST the other.

6) We sold out a majority of the games this year and guess what: No one got priced out!  There are also some other teams who sell out on a regular basis yet keep the cost at least somewhat reasonable.  You just cherry-picked the two worst offenders with Toronto and the Rangers.

7) I have seen Devils fans harassing others and getting into fights as much as any other fanbase.  Philly fans are always going to be the worst but that doesn't mean we are angels either.

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

I love how a thread about Ranger fans has turned into one of self-loathing Devils fans bashing other Devils fans.  Talk about an inferiority complex.  If you can't make a thread bagging on Rangers fans in a Devils forum (which basically has 98.5% Devils fans posting in it) without the holier than thou police coming, where can you?  

I'm not saying we're better than them by large, at least not in terms of drunken behavior.  If anything Flyer and Hab fans are worse than us or Ranger fans in different ways.  Ranger fans can be funny in their ignorance more than anything, and the fact they hero-worship Avery speaks volumes.  It's just that sometimes around here people really need to give the devils' (non) advocate arguments a break.  I don't really know of another fanbase that bashes itself as much as Devil fans do.

I understand being annoyed over some of the stuff other Devil fans do but 'Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow' while I may think it's stupid (particularly the latter part) it's not interfering with my enjoyment of the game.  I'd prefer that any day than some of the jerkoffs who constantly bag on the team and certain players left and right...that got pretty bad at times in 120 this year.  But other than that, or clowns who get violent/embarassingly drunk and scream nonsense in my ear, I really don't care what anyone else does at a game.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 May 2013 - 04:06 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#56 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I love how a thread about Ranger fans has turned into one of self-loathing Devils fans bashing other Devils fans.  Talk about an inferiority complex.  If you can't make a thread bagging on Rangers fans in a Devils forum (which basically has 98.5% Devils fans posting in it) without the holier than thou police coming, where can you?  

I'm not saying we're better than them by large, at least not in terms of drunken behavior.  If anything Flyer and Hab fans are worse than us or Ranger fans in different ways.  Ranger fans can be funny in their ignorance more than anything, and the fact they hero-worship Avery speaks volumes.  It's just that sometimes around here people really need to give the devils' (non) advocate arguments a break.  I don't really know of another fanbase that bashes itself as much as Devil fans do.

I understand being annoyed over some of the stuff other Devil fans do but 'Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow' while I may think it's stupid (particularly the latter part) it's not interfering with my enjoyment of the game.  I'd prefer that any day than some of the jerkoffs who constantly bag on the team and certain players left and right...that got pretty bad at times in 120 this year.  But other than that, or clowns who get violent/embarassingly drunk and scream nonsense in my ear, I really don't care what anyone else does at a game.

Believe me when I have to explain to people whose first hockey game is a Devils vs anyone other than the Rangers game and they hear the Rangers Suck chant and they ask why we chant that when we are not even playing them, it is not exactly something I look forward to explaining.  It doesn't ruin the game for me but I do feel a tiny bit emabrassed about it and especially since like I have said a few times just before that I hear that more often now than "Let's go Devils" chants.

Also it seems like every year I see more and more drunk violent fans at the game.  This is not strictly a Devils phenomena, it does make the game far less enjoyable for me.

The worst of all by far are the women who always seem to sit right behind me and are screaming throughout the entire game "Ssssshhooooooooootttt!" or "Aw my gawd! What the hell is he doin?" with their thick, shrilly Jersey accent.

#57 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Amen. 

Posted Image

#58 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

All the bandwagon ++++ fans are coming out all over Facebook now... How annoying
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Deleted 5 closet Ranger fans. GTFO.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

WHO GIVES A sh!t. fvck THE RANGERS AND THEIR FANS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users