34 replies to this topic

#21 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Man I pray for no more than 5/year.  I mean, he probably could get more than that on the open market from someone, but he's so clearly not worth that much dough for what he brings.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#22 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

I'd rather the order be Patty 1, Clarkson 2, in all honesty. Come to think of it- Patty 1, Zubes 2, Clarkson 3.

i'm with this.

Clarkson scored early this season but trailed off, especially when we needed goals the most.  IMHO that 30 goal season was special, but a rare thing. 

Posted Image Posted Image

#23 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Clarkson paced scoring 25-26 goals this season, which seems a reasonable number for him when gets gets first unit PP time.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'd be surprised if Clarkson re-signs without taking a look at the open market. This will probably be his best chance at a big payday in his career and I'd imagine most guys in that position would want to see all the options.

I do hope Lou can get a deal done at some point with Clarkson though. He's my favorite type of player - can score, throw the body, fight, and be a dick to the opposition.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

i'm with this.

Clarkson scored early this season but trailed off, especially when we needed goals the most.  IMHO that 30 goal season was special, but a rare thing. 

everybody trailed off it wasnt just clarkson.. The team was getting shut out or scoring one goddamn goal the whole second half of the season almost lol... A few players had to take on more responsibility then what they signed up for.. Moose, clarkson... Who is not and was NEVER a top six player... Team needs to keep him he is valuable to this organization for the right price BUT they need to find some top six talent as well
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#26 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I'd be surprised if Clarkson re-signs without taking a look at the open market. This will probably be his best chance at a big payday in his career and I'd imagine most guys in that position would want to see all the options.

I do hope Lou can get a deal done at some point with Clarkson though. He's my favorite type of player - can score, throw the body, fight, and be a dick to the opposition.

This. I don't see why he wouldn't want to test the market unless LL throws a retarded offer. 

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Plenty of guys have passed on seeing what's available on the open market.  If they like where they are and they think the money's right, there's no need to go to free agency.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

if he overpay for Clarkson and dont make a competitive offer to Elias... so help me god...

Ownnzzzzz  ownzzzzzz

(I think this all the time - I've decided I'm just going to start writing it every time I read one of these :evil: )

I'm here for the party

#29 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

bah useless. sign elias first, who cares about clarky.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

As much as I love Patty, this is a good strategy.  Clarkson will garner a lot of attention from many teams and he is due for a raise.  That being said, in our favor, is that most teams are looking to cut salary because of the salary cap decrease this year.  If this were any other year, Clarkson is gone with big money being thrown at him.  I think we can keep him for the next three-five years at a reasonable salary increase.  Then Patty and they better sign Harold.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Lou will/should put a ceiling on what Clarkie gets paid, just like he did with Gionta/Martin. Clarkson is a third line player, that does play pp. He's not worth 5 mil a year. If another team is willing to do it
bye bye
also, for what it's worth, Clarkie went undrafted and, definately owes Lou for saving his career. Yes,
a "hometown " discount is in order.
Doubt this ill happen however.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#32 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Damned if Lou does, damned if Lou doesn't. Who's more likely to leave the team, Clarkson or Elias?

The obvious answer is Clarkson, so why wouldn't he start talks with Clarkson a bit earlier? If you're Lou, you're at least a bit more confident Elias will come back with the money we're able to offer him.

To all you guys giving him crap for not talking to Elias yet: since when do all of our backroom offseason dealings get leaked to the media? For all we know, the deal with Elias has been signed already but not released yet. We don't know anything, we should be used to that by now; no use criticizing Lou for stuff we don't know. Criticizing him after a deal is made/not made is fine but the average fan has no idea what's going on in his world on a day to day basis.

For all we know, this only leaked in the first place by Clarkson's agent to get Toronto (only recently eliminated) to take notice and put him in their offseason plans.

Edited by DJ Eco, 16 May 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#33 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Clarkson is not worth more then 3,5. Elias could probably get 5 a couple more years.

Posted Image

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Elias's deal is real easy to figure out.  Between 2 and 3 years, between what, 4.5 and 6M per year?  He's 37 so the idea of him getting a 4th year seems a bit insane even if his play has hardly declined in the last 5 years.

Clarkson's deal could go anywhere from 4 to 7 years and from anywhere between 3.8M to 5M and even beyond that.  You have no idea what the market will value Clarkson at, he's a bit of a unique specimen, people around the league greatly overrate him if media types are any indication.

Now if you didn't have an internal budget, this wouldn't be an issue, you could sign either guy first, but I think you'd want to get Clarkson set before you got Elias - that way you could give any extra money you saved off Clarkson's deal (if you structured it differently, etc.) to Elias to keep him happy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#35 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Elias's deal is real easy to figure out.  Between 2 and 3 years, between what, 4.5 and 6M per year?  He's 37 so the idea of him getting a 4th year seems a bit insane even if his play has hardly declined in the last 5 years.

Clarkson's deal could go anywhere from 4 to 7 years and from anywhere between 3.8M to 5M and even beyond that.  You have no idea what the market will value Clarkson at, he's a bit of a unique specimen, people around the league greatly overrate him if media types are any indication.

Now if you didn't have an internal budget, this wouldn't be an issue, you could sign either guy first, but I think you'd want to get Clarkson set before you got Elias - that way you could give any extra money you saved off Clarkson's deal (if you structured it differently, etc.) to Elias to keep him happy.

^^^^On the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users