36 replies to this topic

#1 JacobPaul1995

JacobPaul1995

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

its apparent that Bryce Salvador wasn't the best choice for captain. if Pete DeBoer strips him of the "C", who do you think would make a better Captain and Alternates?

My opinion is:
Captain: Patrik Elias

First Alternate: Ilya Kovalchuk

Second Alternate: Andy Greene

Third Alternate: David Clarkson

1488744_662845367109224_1470841889_n.jpg

NEVER DOUBT THE DEVILS!!!

#1 Devils Fan. DJ Jersey Devil on 88.3 WSBU

#2 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

I think he is a bad player but fine captain. The only way we have a new captain is if sal gets moved and that is going to be something very hard to do

#3 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

I would like to conspire that he was promised captaincy and a good contract if he faked his concussion so the devils could get under the cap 3 years ago.

Devils.

#4 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Sal is a very good leader. Don't see anyone else with the "C" unless he is gone. Elias deserves the "C" and then Clarkson if it comes to that.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#5 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Elias had the C once and didn't like it.  IIRC he said something to the effect that he doesn't want the C.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#6 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

its apparent that Bryce Salvador wasn't the best choice for captain. 

Can you elaborate on why this is apparent?

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#7 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

Brodeur should have been the captain for 14 years now. Whenever there is a problem, the refs go and talk to him to sort it out, and it's obvious everyone in the locker room respects him. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#8 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Anyone who thinks Elias should be captain must not have been paying attention in 06-07

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#9 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

No one. Cant bring what Zack brought to the table. They have no captain.

#10 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sal is most definitely not the best player on the team, but he, Brodeur, and Elias are definitely the leaders in the locker room. Just think back to training camp in 2011 when he came back from the concussion and a bunch of players talked about the kind of shape he was in and the way he handled himself coming back. Several players (including Zach) said he should be captain before Parise was named. He was a large part of the No-Name Defense and Swarm It Up rally cries in last year's run.

They more than likely chose him as captain because Elias doesn't want it, Brodeur can't have it, and they may not want Kovalchuk having more pressure. I don't know if there were many candidates after that. Zajac was a risk for free agency and they probably didn't want to risk that again. After that I don't know. Greene?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#11 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Andy Greene should be captain. Great role model on the ice and he was like a father figure to the young guys in those TMZ videos after the Cup. :giggle:

Edited by Zubie#8, 16 May 2013 - 01:58 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#12 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

I nominate my cat

#13 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Can you elaborate on why this is apparent?

I share this opinion, because it was clear some nights he was the worst d-man on the ice, and sitting him was never an option.  You don't healthy scratch your captain; it's just not done.  It pissed me off to no end on those nights where, let's say, Fayne or Larsson were sitting and Salvador was playing.  He's essentially guaranteed a roster spot for this coming year as well.  

I'm not saying he should be stripped of the 'C', in fact I feel like such a move would be locker room suicide.  He hasn't done anything to deserve having it removed, he just never should have been given the 'C' in the first place, imo.  

The obvious choice for me was Kovalchuk, or Zajac.  Both on long term deals, both likely to be playing top-6 minutes for the duration of their contracts and contribute, etc.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 16 May 2013 - 03:15 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#14 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Captains do get healthy scratched, we just don't see it often because they're normally one of the best players on the team.  I don't think Salvador not being scratched had anything do with his captaincy.  He wasn't scratched the year before either in an 82 game schedule.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#15 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

kovy should be captain... but lou dont want to put more pressure on him

#16 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

I share this opinion, because it was clear some nights he was the worst d-man on the ice, and sitting him was never an option.  You don't healthy scratch your captain; it's just not done.  It pissed me off to no end on those nights where, let's say, Fayne or Larsson were sitting and Salvador was playing.  He's essentially guaranteed a roster spot for this coming year as well.  

I'm not saying he should be stripped of the 'C', in fact I feel like such a move would be locker room suicide.  He hasn't done anything to deserve having it removed, he just never should have been given the 'C' in the first place, imo.  

The obvious choice for me was Kovalchuk, or Zajac.  Both on long term deals, both likely to be playing top-6 minutes for the duration of their contracts and contribute, etc.

The qualifications shouldn't be scoring ability or length of contract.  It should be based on your command of the locker room, command of the rules, demeanor in stressful situations (discussing calls with Refs) and exemplifying traits to serve as a role model for the team.   I can't fault Sal on any of these qualifications.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#17 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

kovy should be captain... but lou dont want to put more pressure on him

I imagine Kovy would embrace having the C. Probably more than he did in Atlanta too, his whole stint in Atlanta was just a sh!t show, but I really think he's enjoying his time in NJ. I see Sal as a bridge from Parise to the guy that's going to serve some serious time wearing the C (Kovalchuk)

As for where the rest of the chips fall, I'd see it being

C:Kovalchuk
A:Greene/Zajac (because of Kovalchuk injury sharing of A)
A:Elias.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#18 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'd like Sal to get the C next season......as in  C  U  Later

#19 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Kovy. It's his team and he should have been captain already.

#20 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have no problem with DeBoer making Salvador captain and I don't see how any of us can question it....DeBoer is in the dressing room, we're on a forum.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users