http://www.sportsone...ticle/47796814/

#2 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

The best part about Marty, is that he's overlooked. I don't think Marty has done anything flashy in his entire life, and the lack of familiarity with the outside sports world formed a deeper connection with the real Devils fans (pretty much true about all of our stars, Patty,Dano,Stevens etc). Kovy sort of adopted this too, either a conscious or subconscious decision, I don't know, but he seems less like a super star NHLer since his time in NJ.

For opposite effect, see Rick Nash, NYR, Marian Gaborik, NYR (Gaby actually came full circle with this sort of thing which is even funnier)
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#3 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Excellent article.  Thnx for posting it. :thumbsup:

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#4 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

You know... I think that Marty's fame almost coincides with that of the NHL. Hockey (in America at least) is a smaller market, tight-knit and devoted fans. We all know who Marty is. Great article. I know that in New Jersey we'll never see anything like him again. Call me biased if you want but I will always regard him as the greatest to ever do what he does, and we have all been extremely privileged to watch this guy play night in, night out, all while bearing an NJ on his chest. 

#5 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

The article nailed it.  

Marty's peak greatness was in a lull of superstar talent.   His climb up the ladder was largely disregarded because of his defense, and his decline now, at 40+ is expected, and most of the league can't wait to bury him.   

I think personally, he'll see a resurgence in regard when he does retire.    I won't call him the most skilled goaltender (maybe top 5/10); but I think his skill mixed with longevity and demeanor puts him in the running as greatest of all time.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

I thought the article was average at best. Why even bring up his marital issues? Was it an embarrassing mess? Absolutely. But that situation has exactly 0% reason how people view his career or overrate, or overlook or underrate. And to give it two paragraphs about it?

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I thought the article was average at best. Why even bring up his marital issues? Was it an embarrassing mess? Absolutely. But that situation has exactly 0% reason how people view his career or overrate, or overlook or underrate. And to give it two paragraphs about it?

Agree, for as scandalous as that whole situation was, it really didn't have that big an impact on how he was viewed.  I don't remember it getting anywhere near the attention that Tiger Woods' situation did (for obvious reasons), but let's face it, fans look past this kind of stuff very quickly.  For one, plenty of "regular folk" get themselves in similar situations...it's not like star athletes have the market cornered on adultery...the act is simply not that shocking, in the grand scheme of it all.  And fans are willing to forgive and forget and look the other way when players make mistakes.  I haven't heard anyone bring up Brodeur's situation in years (until this article), and even when it was relevant, I don't remember hearing that much about it, among hockey fans.  Clearly it was a huge deal for him, but for fans looking back on his career, it's barely a footnote. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Nice article for the most part.. anyone ever read martys book?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#9 JacobPaul1995

JacobPaul1995

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

ive been meaning to buy it.

1488744_662845367109224_1470841889_n.jpg

NEVER DOUBT THE DEVILS!!!

#1 Devils Fan. DJ Jersey Devil on 88.3 WSBU

#10 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

Nice article for the most part.. anyone ever read martys book?

I did, and the author of this article was not fair...Marty addressed his situation re: his affair as much as should have been expected.  He didn't gloss over it nearly as much as the author would lead one to believe, and the book was supposed to be about Marty's career, how he approaches his craft, and whatever else he felt like revealing...it was never billed as some "tell-all, let me let you in on every last skeleton in my closet".  Not only that, but the author should be aware that post-divorce agreements often stipulate that both parties have to be VERY careful how many details they reveal in public.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#11 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

greatest of all time I might dearly shed a tear when he retires and his last game..

#12 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I believe his marital issues are far more important to his his detractors than his supporters.
It's still one of the first things I hear from my Philly and NY friends and coworkers. 

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I believe his marital issues are far more important to his his detractors than his supporters.
It's still one of the first things I hear from my Philly and NY friends and coworkers. 

Yeah, I can see that.

If Lundqvist had done the same thing, Devils fans would let Ranger fans know about it. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users