22 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,493 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Let's say there were no such thing as steroids, but you found out Barry Bonds were using Sudafed or other stimulants.  Even if you technically concluded he was "cheating", do you think people would be up in arms about it and not letting him into the Hall of Fame?  I seriously doubt it. 

Or, as I mentioned earlier, if you found out Tom Brady or Peyton Manning took HGH while rehabbing their injuries, would you feel it would diminish their accompishments?  That's basically what Andy Pettite did.  I doubt that people would think of Manning/Brady as cheaters, but would call Pettite a cheater.

Like I said, I think the obsession with steroids comes down to the ick factor, and is more unique to sports where there's an obsession with individual records.

Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and many stars of 60s and the 70s have admitted to using methamphetamines.  The witch hunt with Bonds and others goes much deeper than records.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and many stars of 60s and the 70s have admitted to using methamphetamines.  The witch hunt with Bonds and others goes much deeper than records.

Exactly, and no one refers to Aaron and Mays as cheaters.  And Bonds, McGwire, Clemens are all about records.  If the only players that were known to be taking steroids were players like Pat Kelly, Tony Fernandez or Roberto Kelly, I don't even think the issue would come up in CBA negotiations. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Exactly, and no one refers to Aaron and Mays as cheaters.  And Bonds, McGwire, Clemens are all about records.  If the only players that were known to be taking steroids were players like Pat Kelly, Tony Fernandez or Roberto Kelly, I don't even think the issue would come up in CBA negotiations. 

Amphetamines don't make you stronger though. They make you have more energy, but it's not gonna make you lift more weight or swing a bat faster than you could before. Though an argument could be made that it improved some of their focus and as such their performance. I don't see it as being on the same level of cheating that steroids are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users