54 replies to this topic

#41 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

One of the greatest goaltender match-ups of all time: The Great Martin Brodeur vs Sam "Stone Wall" Dellard :lol:

the Squid!

"THREW ONE IN FRONT IT’S BLOCKED THERE, SCRAMBLE FOR IT THERE THEY POKE AWAY AT IT, STILL ITS LOOSE, POKED AT BY KOVALCHUK-
THEY SCOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEE!!!!! HENRIQUE!! ITS OVER!!”

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#42 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

And not sure if you can see this in the US, but here is the entire broadcast from CBC tonight. Brodeur was around pregame, intermissions and post game.

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2387198151/

Edited by devilsrule33, 24 May 2013 - 01:11 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#43 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Just to comment on the Matt & Sherry conversation..

Sherry has never really bothered me too much, I've gotten used to her...lack of knowledge about the sport.

But Matt...his calls drive me absolutely batt-fvcking insane.  He's so, SO SLOW with the play by play.

"He...shoots...and...he...hits...the...post...and...it...goes.............wwwwiiiiidddddeee...."

Like, I usually hear the goal horn before I hear Matt's call.  Drives me insane.  What the hell happened to Randy and..whoever the PBP call guy was?  They were fired for..something, I know.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#44 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

And not sure if you can see this in the US, but here is the entire broadcast from CBC tonight. Brodeur was around pregame, intermissions and post game.

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2387198151/

No, the game replays don't work for US residents.  Some of the auxiliary clips do though.  You can see Marty in the first six minutes of the Wings/Datsyuk clip (they even troll him by bringing out the replay of Game 3 against the Ducks after Rask's gaffe lol).

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Sherry has never really bothered me too much, I've gotten used to her...lack of knowledge about the sport.

But Matt...his calls drive me absolutely batt-fvcking insane.  He's so, SO SLOW with the play by play.

"He...shoots...and...he...hits...the...post...and...it...goes.............wwwwiiiiidddddeee...."

Like, I usually hear the goal horn before I hear Matt's call.  Drives me insane.  What the hell happened to Randy and..whoever the PBP call guy was?  They were fired for..something, I know.

That is another good and very accurate observation of Matt. He announces the game as if he was on television, but he is on the radio.  Because hockey is a fast sport and there are always things going on, a radio announcer has to put as much information as he can in a limited amount of time to paint an accurate picture on what is going on.  He fails to do that so I have to guess half the time as to what exactly is going on in the game with him.

#46 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

I listened to a lot of games on the radio and he says that NON-STOP. I can't take it. It's like Cangi's Shot-SKARRR, but at least Cangi stopped doing that. Then Sherry Ross jumps in with a comment out of left field or some dumb ass story that has NOTHING to do with anything. No thanks.

I don't want to sound like I dislike women in sports or reporting on sports(though 99% of them are just there to be blonde and have boobs/ I'm looking at you blonde chick on NHLN who said the Pens were looking to keep even the series with the Pens before they showed highlights of the 7-3 win.....c'mon, the nicknames are similar, but then use the city names to keep them clear in your head, of course this isn't to say she's the worst, that goes to stutter machine whatever his name is, that guy is fvcking awful, Mark Roe is it?), I just dislike people who don't know what they're talking about. If they want women reporting on sports, find someone who actually pays attention please and it'll work out just fine./rant

I think Kathryn Tappen actually does know what she's talking about, definitely more than most other female hockey analysts.  And your example of her "not knowing what she's talking about" is ridiculous, obviously she just misspoke, as everyone in the world does every now and then.

Sherry is one of the worst in my opinion.  She is so obviously biased the way she complains about calls and stuff, and as already mentioned she provides no insight or knowledge.  She sounds like just some random person who has never played hockey trying to sound like they know what they're talking about.

And yeah Loughlin's suspenseful cliffhangers drive me insane. 

"Shot by Elias...and.....it.....goes.......off..........the.............post...........and.......into..................the............................................................................................crowd."

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#47 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I think Kathryn Tappen actually does know what she's talking about, definitely more than most other female hockey analysts.  And your example of her "not knowing what she's talking about" is ridiculous, obviously she just misspoke, as everyone in the world does every now and then.

Sherry is one of the worst in my opinion.  She is so obviously biased the way she complains about calls and stuff, and as already mentioned she provides no insight or knowledge.  She sounds like just some random person who has never played hockey trying to sound like they know what they're talking about.

"Shot by Elias...and.....it.....goes.......off..........the.............post...........and.......into..................the............................................................................................crowd."

Loughlin has no sense of timing.

Example:  Compare Matt's MC'ing for Jaques Caron night and compare that to Doc's MC'ing for Niedermayer night.  Doc actually listens to the crowd's reaction and he guages his pacing based on that as well as his own experience.  Matt just goes about his own pacing and doesn't know when to speak and doesn't know when to pause for a moment.

#48 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Right, she misspoke and never corrected it even though I could tell by the wavering in her voice she recognized the error. That's why it bothered me. I don't care that she made a mistake, but correct yourself instead of just pretending it didn't happen. She's supposed to be a professional. I'd be just as disappointed with anybody who made that mistake. She's ok, better than Sherri Ross, but knows what she's talking about? There's few on NHLN that are tolerable, much less knowledgeable.

I can tolerate Weekes, Billy Jaffe is ok, everyone else on there, is near intolerable. The weird turtle looking guy Neil something, AWFUL. Mark Roe, I don't think I've ever seen anyone trip over their words so many times on TV. I also can't stand that when there's only 1-2 games on that night, they have to blow through the highlights of it in 10 mins, then it's 50 mins of BS. Can't they re-run the game highlights at the 30 min mark? So I can flip through and actually catch it instead of having to wait for the top of the hour. Tappen would be more tolerable if she wasn't constantly the one who leads the discussion. I just feel like that whole network could be so much better, but it's one giant disappointment. Tappen is ok, it's just mistakes like the pens, pens one is something any professional journalist should have caught and corrected.

It's not like they can get away with it like this PBP guy, lol. I mean, this is so bad here, he just goes silent. C'mon, just correct it, no one is gonna hate you for admitting your misspoke, so just do it.

#49 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

What do you prefer over NHL Network?  There isn't really a better alternative for hockey coverage in the US.  We all know ESPN is terrible and NBC Sports is just a bunch of bumbling idiots arguing with each other for no reason.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#50 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

I listen to alot of Devs games via XmRadio and I think my biggest beef with the NJ broadcasting team is they somehow make the game boring.
It's the whiskey talking.

#51 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

I listen to many out of town games (feeds) on center ice ('cept Habs French)and also on XM. Matt and
Sherry (imo) aren't as bad as folks make them out to be. I think Sherry does know a lil about the game.
There are guys I especially like Canes Chuck Caton (sp?) does color and pbp.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

#52 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

What do you prefer over NHL Network?  There isn't really a better alternative for hockey coverage in the US.  We all know ESPN is terrible and NBC Sports is just a bunch of bumbling idiots arguing with each other for no reason.

I'm just disappointed that's the best it gets, I don't think they're worse than NBCSN or ESPN, but is anybody going to create the "Slightly better than Mike Milbury and JR award for mediocre sports reporting" I don't think so, lol. They're children over at NBC. Listening to JR and Milbury is akin to hitting myself in the head with a hammer. I watch NHLN for the highlights and the highlights alone, unless they got a game on, otherwise, I get every bit of hockey news from the internet.

I don't mind NHL Live on NHLN, they're usually decent, don't usually get to see it though. That being said, I'm not a fan of what's her name from MSG that is on there sometimes. It bothers me like when people where pinstriped or plaid suits on TV. Do they not realize it's like staring at one of the "Can you see the mystery image" things in HD, they always look very strange on TV either because of the small striping or the sheen of the suit's material itself, either way, it's distracting.

I kinda wish they'd go back to how it was in the early days where they only had the clips, no PBP audio or anything. Just let me see the play without some idiot talking over it.

Edited by ATLL765, 24 May 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#53 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Fair enough, I agree it was nice when they would show the highlights with the audio from the broadcast rather than add their own narrating.

--John Buccigross

#54 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Does just hearing a woman's voice annoy you guys? 

A lot of women feel that way about other women.  A lot of women I'm sure you all read HATE a woman posting on a forum and are often most deriding of female fans.

Do you all assume women don't play hockey and never have?

Do you think a woman is far more inclined to just take any announcing job and not educate herself on the rules of the sport?

Do you think women are less professional than men and are held to lower standards to make a quota?

Does anyone else find it really sucks to have to clean your glasses without glasses on so how can you possibly HOPE to clean your lenses if you can't actually see the filth on them?  I have glasses.  I am VERY excited about this.

I'm here for the party

#55 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Does just hearing a woman's voice annoy you guys? 

A lot of women feel that way about other women.  A lot of women I'm sure you all read HATE a woman posting on a forum and are often most deriding of female fans.

Do you all assume women don't play hockey and never have?

Do you think a woman is far more inclined to just take any announcing job and not educate herself on the rules of the sport?

Do you think women are less professional than men and are held to lower standards to make a quota?

Does anyone else find it really sucks to have to clean your glasses without glasses on so how can you possibly HOPE to clean your lenses if you can't actually see the filth on them?  I have glasses.  I am VERY excited about this.

No.

No.

No. Everybody likes money. Not just women. Plenty of idiot men in the biz too.

No, different standards though. They are sought out for their attractiveness, mostly, not their fault, it helps ratings I'd guess. Might also be a diversity thing, that way women have someone to connect with when they watch. It's gotta be about ratings though.

Not really. I don't need my glasses to see though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users