#1 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

http://www.hockeysfu...ady-defensemen/

For those that are interested.  Not really anything that people didn't know, but worth noting that the number grade for Boucer and Severson ticked up to 7.5.  Also a few nuggets about Merrill's play in Albany beyond the basic stats.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#2 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Can't take them seriously having Wedgewood at 2 and Urbom 3

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Can't take them seriously having Wedgewood at 2 and Urbom 3

Their rankings are a bit strange in that players with higher scores get ranked lower at times.  For the people that don't watch any non-NHL hockey, like me, the player summaries are worth while. 

I also like that they seem to be a lot less Ron Jaworski-esque in their praise for every prospect these days.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#4 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Their rankings are a bit strange in that players with higher scores get ranked lower at times.  For the people that don't watch any non-NHL hockey, like me, the player summaries are worth while. 

I also like that they seem to be a lot less Ron Jaworski-esque in their praise for every prospect these days.

I've found the Devils people on HF tend to be much more restrained than the majority of HF when compiling their rankings.  Other teams always have everyone in the first 3 rounds being future all-stars. :lol:

I don't have any big problems with their list.  I'd probably put Wedge lower and Gelinas higher, but no huge discrepancies from my internal list.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Just mind boggling that Matteau is #8 and below the likes of Wedgewood, Urbom and Boucher. Jr played in the NHL and looked competent as an 18 year old!

#6 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Just mind boggling that Matteau is #8 and below the likes of Wedgewood, Urbom and Boucher. Jr played in the NHL and looked competent as an 18 year old!

They have no clue.  As expected.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Leaving goalies as a separate issue, I'd rank Urbom and Boucher ahead of Matteau right now.  

Matteau probably tops out on his upside as a second line guy, which is a nice player, but he isn't far along his developmental curve yet.

Urbom looks like he is going to be a NHL player and has the potential to be a good second pairing defender, so I'd rank him ahead of Matteau since they have similar value upside and Urbom is further along his development path.  I'd rank Urbom higher because he is closer to achieving his potential value.

Boucher, because of his explosive season, may have first line potential.  He's not much further along in his development than Matteau, but his potential upside is higher.  I'd rank Boucher higher because his upside is greater.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#8 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

This is going to be one of the more exciting training camps/preseasons in recent years. I'm ecstatic to see our young D take shape.

#9 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

This is going to be one of the more exciting training camps/preseasons in recent years. I'm ecstatic to see our young D take shape.

You'll probably have to wait a few more years. Salvador and Volchenkov are in the way

#10 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

You'll probably have to wait a few more years. Salvador and Volchenkov are in the way

I cannot imagine we go into next camp without having a slot open for one of the young guys to fight for. I don't care who is signed right now, if Urbom or Merril is looking better than Volch, they'll play. If that means Harrold cannot be re-signed, so be it, I'd rather that than see a young guy sit in the AHL or on the bench while Volch and Sal are still playing.

Plus, who says we won't trade a d-man for nothing if we can't dump one for a pick? Like Carolina did with Jokinen, I would not be opposed to eating some of Tallinder's or Volch's(would mean he waives his NTC) salary to rid ourselves of a d-man. Even if we ate half of one of their cap hits, we'd not spend more money by calling up someone in his place and I still think we'd be a better team for it. These guys have to see the NHL eventually, right?

Edited by ATLL765, 22 May 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#11 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm not sure how they reason their ranking, but they seem to have put too much emphasis on Matteau's mentality after his playoffs this year. Wedge, Boucher, and Urbom could be big pieces for Albany next year, but Matteau should be on the NHL club or the first guy called up if someone gets hurt.

I think Matteau's role in the NHL next year is directly related to what happens with Zubrus.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#12 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I noticed Jared didn't write this or the last Devils article for HF. I suppose he's moved on.

I'm a huge believer in Wedgewood but no way would I rank him #2. I'd move Matteau up because of what he's already shown and how likely he is to be able to contribute for NJ in coming years even if his potential is 2nd/3rd line. Probably move Clermont in 19/20 territory.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I'm not sure how they reason their ranking, but they seem to have put too much emphasis on Matteau's mentality after his playoffs this year. Wedge, Boucher, and Urbom could be big pieces for Albany next year, but Matteau should be on the NHL club or the first guy called up if someone gets hurt.

I think Matteau's role in the NHL next year is directly related to what happens with Zubrus.

I think part of it might be that Matteau might have hit his peak physically, so there isn't going to be a lot more potential than what we've already seen. It's not a completely unreasonable view of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#14 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think part of it might be that Matteau might have hit his peak physically, so there isn't going to be a lot more potential than what we've already seen. It's not a completely unreasonable view of the world.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How many 18 year olds you know peaked physically? I aint buying it

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

How many 18 year olds you know peaked physically? I aint buying it

Some do, some don't, or more precisely aren't going to get that much bigger.

More importantly, just because a player got playing time at 18, it does not follow that he'll be better than someone who didn't make it to the NHL until age 21 or 22. Somehow, I don't think anyone would take Matteau for Kreider or Ryan Strome.

Posted Image

#16 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Some do, some don't, or more precisely aren't going to get that much bigger. More importantly, just because a player got playing time at 18, it does not follow that he'll be better than someone who didn't make it to the NHL until age 21 or 22. Somehow, I don't think anyone would take Matteau for Kreider or Ryan Strome.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kreider hasn't done anything in the NHL besides have a fluky playoff run. He had mediocre college numbers and was bad in the ahl, so id probably take Matteau over him.

Strome was a top 5 pick.

Even if he doesn't get "bigger" (though odds say he will) he'll get better at skating, stick handing and shooting just by practicing and getting experience

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Some do, some don't, or more precisely aren't going to get that much bigger. More importantly, just because a player got playing time at 18, it does not follow that he'll be better than someone who didn't make it to the NHL until age 21 or 22. Somehow, I don't think anyone would take Matteau for Kreider or Ryan Strome.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kreider hasn't done anything in the NHL besides have a fluky playoff run. He had mediocre college numbers and was bad in the ahl, so id probably take Matteau over him.
Strome was a top 5 pick.
Even if he doesn't get "bigger" (though odds say he will) he'll get better at skating, stick handing and shooting just by practicing and getting experience

If you're going in numbers alone, Scarlett and Severson (both ranked ahead of Matteau) put up better offensive numbers at junior as defensemen. Also, it's much harder for a defensemen to crack an NHL lineup, which is why it's not that strange that Urbom and Gelinas get higher grades than Matteau.

As people have noted, the big head scratcher is Wedgewood being number 2. I suppose you could give Matteau a B instead of a C, but you can't really expect him to be anything more than a third liner on an average team.

Posted Image

#18 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

I noticed Jared didn't write this or the last Devils article for HF. I suppose he's moved on.

I'm a huge believer in Wedgewood but no way would I rank him #2. I'd move Matteau up because of what he's already shown and how likely he is to be able to contribute for NJ in coming years even if his potential is 2nd/3rd line. Probably move Clermont in 19/20 territory.

They had a job listing for a Devils prospect writer on there so Jared leaving's a pretty safe bet 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#19 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

They had a job listing for a Devils prospect writer on there so Jared leaving's a pretty safe bet 

Yeah, I asked him on twitter about it and he mentioned he enjoyed his time there but wanted to move on. He's still going to be following the prospects and Devils, just not writing about them. If anyone wants they can follow him on twitter: @CalDevil3219

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Some do, some don't, or more precisely aren't going to get that much bigger. More importantly, just because a player got playing time at 18, it does not follow that he'll be better than someone who didn't make it to the NHL until age 21 or 22. Somehow, I don't think anyone would take Matteau for Kreider or Ryan Strome. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The difference is that players who make the NHL at 18 are almost unilaterally NHL players.  There are 31 players who've made the NHL at 18 and played 10 or more games since 95-96 (aka the modern era) - 3 of them (Fata, A. Berg, Fritsche) were not successful NHLers.  

Most players who make the NHL at 22 or later are fringe NHLers.  There are some that aren't, and certainly there are also late-bloomers who come over from Europe like Damian Brunner, but drafted players who take that long?  I don't expect much from them.

Edited by Triumph, 23 May 2013 - 09:18 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users