Richards?

ZeroGravityFat

Yeah.. Just like Gaborik lost speed and strength.. and Nash will in a year or two.. and whichever next bigshot FA the Rags sign..

Richards is a Conn Smythe winner, I'd love to have him.

Yeah.. Just like Gaborik lost speed and strength.. and Nash will in a year or two.. and whichever next bigshot FA the Rags sign..

Richards is a Conn Smythe winner, I'd love to have him.

in 2004 thats a decade ago!!!  he's 33 and on the downside, his pt totals have dropped for 43 straight years.

If he signs for 1 mil per, OK, but we donot need anymore old players

in 2004 thats a decade ago!!!  he's 33 and on the downside, his pt totals have dropped for 43 straight years.

If he signs for 1 mil per, OK, but we donot need anymore old players

His best stats are from 08-11 so I don't really see the whole "that was a decade ago" argument. His point production has dropped? Really? If Crosbys PPG average dropped from 1.5 to 1.4 to 1.3 in consecutive years you could say that about him as well. I think his recent drop in production speaks more to Tortorellas coaching style now then his sudden lack of ability.

I assume this whole discussion is based on the (slim) possibility of him being bought out, so a slight discount on his current salary would be expected.. But clearly he is worth 5M a year for another 3-4 years by todays NHL standards. We are currently paying a 37 year old Elias, with comparable stats, more then that.

His best stats are from 08-11 so I don't really see the whole "that was a decade ago" argument. His point production has dropped? Really? If Crosbys PPG average dropped from 1.5 to 1.4 to 1.3 in consecutive years you could say that about him as well. I think his recent drop in production speaks more to Tortorellas coaching style now then his sudden lack of ability.

I assume this whole discussion is based on the (slim) possibility of him being bought out, so a slight discount on his current salary would be expected.. But clearly he is worth 5M a year for another 3-4 years by todays NHL standards. We are currently paying a 37 year old Elias, with comparable stats, more then that.

Richards has a stunning lack of effect on the play these days.  I was joking about it last year but it was just as apparent this year - the guy just doesn't have the puck on his stick that often and doesn't make much happen with it when he does.  He's a passenger.  If he's not doing real well on the power play (and he's not), he's not doing enough 5 on 5 to make up for it.

The difference between Richards and Elias is that Elias is a HOF-level defensive forward and Richards is bad by any standard.  Elias over the last 5 years is +382 shots while on ice at 5 on 5, Richards is -137.  Now Richards' on ice shooting percentage is a little higher than Elias's, but even we use their normal shooting percentages and league average save percentages, Elias should be +51, Richards +22.  That's a huge difference, one that I doubt can be made up by the quality of teammates each guy has had over that stretch.  And again, Elias is coming off another great year and Richards is coming off his worst year.

I think he'll be bought out this summer and someone will pay him a decent amount, but a 4 year contract for a guy who's a healthy scratch on a playoff team?  I don't think so.

Richards has a stunning lack of effect on the play these days.  I was joking about it last year but it was just as apparent this year - the guy just doesn't have the puck on his stick that often and doesn't make much happen with it when he does.  He's a passenger.  If he's not doing real well on the power play (and he's not), he's not doing enough 5 on 5 to make up for it.

The difference between Richards and Elias is that Elias is a HOF-level defensive forward and Richards is bad by any standard.  Elias over the last 5 years is +382 shots while on ice at 5 on 5, Richards is -137.  Now Richards' on ice shooting percentage is a little higher than Elias's, but even we use their normal shooting percentages and league average save percentages, Elias should be +51, Richards +22.  That's a huge difference, one that I doubt can be made up by the quality of teammates each guy has had over that stretch.  And again, Elias is coming off another great year and Richards is coming off his worst year.

I think he'll be bought out this summer and someone will pay him a decent amount, but a 4 year contract for a guy who's a healthy scratch on a playoff team?  I don't think so.

Spot on Tri!

He's not exactly a healthy scratch because he's not good enough for the team.. Torts is clearly trying to get his team going and shake things up a bit, while sending a message to Richards that he needs to step it up as well..  The stat difference between him and Elias is pretty sick I'll give you that, and I agree Elias is a better allround player.. It's not like Richards hasn't has a good cast around him most of his career either..

That said; people on this very board are talking about giving 4-5M to Clarkson.. and yet they don't think Richards is worth more then 1-2M. That's absurd. :P

He's not exactly a healthy scratch because he's not good enough for the team.. Torts is clearly trying to get his team going and shake things up a bit, while sending a message to Richards that he needs to step it up as well..  The stat difference between him and Elias is pretty sick I'll give you that, and I agree Elias is a better allround player.. It's not like Richards hasn't has a good cast around him most of his career either..

That said; people on this very board are talking about giving 4-5M to Clarkson.. and yet they don't think Richards is worth more then 1-2M. That's absurd. :P

Richards has played with a lot of very good players in his career.  I agree with you that Richards is worth more than that, but he's not gonna get a huge contract.  He's a risk now and while NHL teams always need centers and if the Rangers do buy him out there will be 4 or 5 teams interested, I'd be shocked if he got more than 3 years with that team.

if they rebuy him! just sign him lou! He is not a game breaker, netheir a franchise player but would replace the parise production with us. He still have gas in the tank that for sure...

Would love danny briere too if flyers rebuy him.

Former flyers or rangers become devils could be priceless

Assuming Lokti bolts to the KHL, which I doubt, I wouldn't mind seeing him play with Elias at ES

Elias Richards Zubrus. Not a bad shutdown line.

EDIT: might as well sign Alfredsson Selanne and Jagr while we are at it. :giggle:

Edited by Zubie#8

Heard Mike Francesa interviewing Pierre a while ago, was actually interesting.  Pierre said something along the lines of "The post-lockout 2-line pass rule change was killer for Richards, because he has never been a good skater.  Today especially, he just lacks the footspeed to be able to stay in the play."

If that's true, and I generally trust what Pierre says despite him being one of the most awkward individuals I've ever seen, then I don't want to the Devils to go near him.