#1 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

From the banter page on Facebook:

Torts just walked out of a meeting with Sather and management and left MSG.

If true, sad news for us. He was ruining the rags just great.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#2 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

No way they would do this in the middle of a second round series in the playoffs

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#3 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

From the banter page on Facebook:

Torts just walked out of a meeting with Sather and management and left MSG.

If true, sad news for us. He was ruining the rags just great.

Link?

#4 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

They are done. A coach shake up is the only way they win a game.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#5 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I hope he never gets fired.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Don't see anything on the Rangers message board.  Might have something to do with the Richards benching.  This does not seem like the way you go about firing a coach, no matter what you might think of Sather.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

facebook banter page?! c'mon zgf - i don't think torts could sh!t on sather's desk and get fired in the middle of the playoffs.

is he gone when they lose to boston? quite possibly but certainly not before.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#8 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Even Lou isn't enough of a micromanager to actually do it during the playoffs, although Lemaire was basically put on notice after the jelly throwing incident lol
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#9 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Crazy things sometimes happen...but not THIS crazy.  No way Torts is canned (though he could be by tomorrow morning if the Rangers get swept tonight).  It would be funny if he did get fired and Sather said "The man took a sh!t on my desk.  I had no choice."  Thanks sundstrom for a both funny AND most disturbing image...

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#10 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

I will say one thing Tortorella's coaching did help them over achieve last year into the #1 seed. It showed that they weren't that good a team going 7 twice on an ehh Sens team and a Capitals team that played not to lose in that series.

#11 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

guys an ass anyway.. once he gets canned gota wonder where he'll end up
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Crazy things sometimes happen...but not THIS crazy.  No way Torts is canned (though he could be by tomorrow morning if the Rangers get swept tonight).  It would be funny if he did get fired and Sather said "The man took a sh!t on my desk.  I had no choice."  Thanks sundstrom for a both funny AND most disturbing image...

sh!t.jpg

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#13 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

He also could have walked out after the meeting to get lunch....

I think it's proven that his system is not working for this team that was ahem... "Built for the playoffs". Barely squeaking by Ottawa and Washington twice doesn't say much, especially with how the Devils and Boston used depth to really take it to them.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#14 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

He also could have walked out after the meeting to get lunch....

I think it's proven that his system is not working for this team that was ahem... "Built for the playoffs". Barely squeaking by Ottawa and Washington twice doesn't say much, especially with how the Devils and Boston used depth to really take it to them.

Same way the Devils those years where they rode Brodeur to a #2 seed were bounced early. Because when you rely too much on your goalie and play 110 percent in the regular season to win you have no where else to go in the playoffs when everyone else steps up their game

#15 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

He's taken one team to a Cup win and another to a Conference Final.  He'll definitely get another job.  Though he seems like a guy whose act wears thin, he's had fairly long tenures as a head coach.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#16 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Vancouver?

#17 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

He's taken one team to a Cup win and another to a Conference Final.  He'll definitely get another job.  Though he seems like a guy whose act wears thin, he's had fairly long tenures as a head coach.

I feel the same way. He's like a Mike Keenan. It works for a while, and then the players just learn to tune out the yelling and jumping and screaming. He's the kind of guy who might as well be fired if he wins the cup, because he won't be bringing a second. Obviously though, if you run a team and you think he could put you over to being a cup team, you take the risk.

I said in another thread and I'll say it here, I'm worried the Rangers would get Lindy Ruff. If you look at what he did with Buffalo in the late 90's and again in that 2006-2007 range, he had hard working teams with strong goaltending. I worry what he could do with a few tweaks to the Rags.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#18 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

I feel the same way. He's like a Mike Keenan. It works for a while, and then the players just learn to tune out the yelling and jumping and screaming. He's the kind of guy who might as well be fired if he wins the cup, because he won't be bringing a second. Obviously though, if you run a team and you think he could put you over to being a cup team, you take the risk.

I said in another thread and I'll say it here, I'm worried the Rangers would get Lindy Ruff. If you look at what he did with Buffalo in the late 90's and again in that 2006-2007 range, he had hard working teams with strong goaltending. I worry what he could do with a few tweaks to the Rags.

I think Lindy Ruff with the Rangers would be a total mismatch of personalities (say, Rudy Tomjonavich to the Lakers).  Lindy's spent most of his life playing and coaching one small-market team, I can't see him going to a big market with all the media in the world and being successful.  I'm more worried about him going to Minnesota than NY really lol.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Torts gets probably at least one more head coaching gig, maybe two.  He's an easy guy to dislike if he's not your team's coach, but the guy does get some results...like you say, enough that a team that thinks it's missing something might think he's the answer.

4978:  Ruff has played for the Rangers, so MSG isn't entirely unfamiliar territory to him.  I wouldn't rule it out.

#30 FOREVER!

#20 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,279 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Homer Joe is on with Francesa, pretty much just making excuses for Richards.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users