#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm going to call Lundqvist to Tampa Bay 2014-2015

FWIW, during the press conference, Sather mentioned that the goal is to sign Lunqvist to a long term extension.  So long as they show him the money, he's staying.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm going to call Lundqvist to Tampa Bay 2014-2015

There's a better chance Tampa signs me to be their next goalie than there is of Lundqvist going there.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#43 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,280 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Seems like the relationship between Lundqvist and Torts had something to do with this.  And it's not like Torts' teams were particularly great (having Lundqvist makes things a hell of a lot easier)...then again, it's not like his non-creative GM helps matters. 

It's funny, because some haters will point to Lundqvist's mediocre playoff record as a way of ripping him, but like Tri pointed out, the guy posted save%s of .931 and .934 in the last two playoff runs, and his team went 15-17.  He was the #1 reason the Rangers managed to play in 32 playoff games the past two seasons.

If this was a Lundqvist/Tortorella thing, the right guy won the battle.  But why the hell does Sather get to stay?  Why isn't that guy ever held accountable for anything?

FWIW, during the press conference, Sather mentioned that the goal is to sign Lunqvist to a long term extension.  So long as they show him the money, he's staying.

Admittedly, I'd be stunned if he ever left. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#44 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

So has said every GM before a prized free agent leaves town, including Lou "Status Quo" Lamoriello before Parise left, and the Thrashers before Kovy was traded.

I think getting rid of Tortorella was a step in the right direction for Sather to re-sign Lundqvist, it's definitely linked. But it's not guaranteed.

Edited by DJ Eco, 29 May 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#45 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Seems like the relationship between Lundqvist and Torts had something to do with this. And it's not like Torts' teams were particularly great (having Lundqvist makes things a hell of a lot easier)...then again, it's not like his non-creative GM helps matters.

It's funny, because some haters will point to Lundqvist's mediocre playoff record as a way of ripping him, but like Tri pointed out, the guy posted save%s of .931 and .934 in the last two playoff runs, and his team went 15-17. He was the #1 reason the Rangers managed to play in 32 playoff games the past two seasons.

If this was a Lundqvist/Tortorella thing, the right guy won the battle. But why the hell does Sather get to stay? Why isn't that guy ever held accountable for anything?
FWIW, during the press conference, Sather mentioned that the goal is to sign Lunqvist to a long term extension. So long as they show him the money, he's staying.

Admittedly, I'd be stunned if he ever left.

Sather isn't held accountable because Dolan doesn't pay any attention to the Rangers and let's Sather run everything relating to hockey operations. This is why I hope Dolan owns the Garden for as long as he lives, preferably forever.

Edited by MadDog2020, 29 May 2013 - 01:59 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#46 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

So has said every GM before a prized free agent leaves town, including Lou "Status Quo" Lamoriello before Parise left, and the Thrashers before Kovy was traded.

I think getting rid of Tortorella was a step in the right direction for Sather to re-sign Lundqvist, it's definitely linked. But it's not guaranteed.

Well Lou took virtually every reasonable effort to re-sign Parise, and Atlanta was prepared to give Kovalchuk $100 million over few years.  Now you have the new CBA which virtually guarantees that the Rangers won't get outbid money-wise. 

Sather isn't held accountable because Dolan doesn't pay any attention to the Rangers and let's Sather run everything relating to hockey operations. This is why I hope Dolan owns the Garden for as long as he lives, preferably forever.

I don't know whether Sather "demoted" himself, or whether it came from Dolan (I kind of doubt it), but I'm almost positive that Sather has basically ceded control of the draft, which, surprise, surprise, is an area that the Rangers have done pretty well at recently.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#47 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is the worst news of the day.... I love Torts as the Rag$ coach.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,280 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Well Lou took virtually every reasonable effort to re-sign Parise, and Atlanta was prepared to give Kovalchuk $100 million over few years.  Now you have the new CBA which virtually guarantees that the Rangers won't get outbid money-wise. 

I don't know whether Sather "demoted" himself, or whether it came from Dolan (I kind of doubt it), but I'm almost positive that Sather has basically ceded control of the draft, which, surprise, surprise, is an area that the Rangers have done pretty well at recently.

Parise had a chance to go home, and I think Kovy was tired of his team being irrelevant for just about his entire career there.  Going home isn't going to be a factor for Lundqvist, and the Rangers HAVE been competitive for a while now.  If they get a coach that Lundqvist likes, I just can't see him leaving.  As far as destinations go in the NHL, MSG is clearly one of the "sexier" places to go as a FA...unless Lundqvist decides that he's flat-out sick of New York and playing for the Rangers, it seems like all the Rangers have to do is make him a "we don't want to lose you at any cost" kind of deal.  I don't think Lundqvist is going to make this that hard for them. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Replacement names that will be bandied about

Messier

Ruff

Ted Nolan

:)

#50 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Don't get that at all.  Torts has a lot to do with Lunqvist's recent success.

I would think that a shot blocking and collapse around the net strategy would help the goalie.

Why, the point of having a great goalie isn't to go all out to protect him.    That's something you'd do if Clemmer was your goalie.   And hell, we didn't even do that with Clemmer as our goalie, we just tried to keep the puck away from him.

#51 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

As for Lundqvist I'd think it's possible he'd leave, but he's going to be 32 when he goes UFA.    I don't know what kind of deal he's going to be able to get.

Maybe shorter term/big money, but the top teams are going to have already spent themselves into oblivion by that point.    He'll probably be squeezed into staying there unless he just totally loses his mind and gets traded. 

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

As for Lundqvist I'd think it's possible he'd leave, but he's going to be 32 when he goes UFA.    I don't know what kind of deal he's going to be able to get.

Maybe shorter term/big money, but the top teams are going to have already spent themselves into oblivion by that point.    He'll probably be squeezed into staying there unless he just totally loses his mind and gets traded. 

I don't think this is true.  There will always be a team willing to pay top dollar and that's the first year where the cap will expand again.  That said, I don't think he leaves, but he certainly could if he wanted to.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

What would make Rag$ fans heads explode:  sign Lunqvuist as a UFA after Marty retires.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#54 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

What would make Rag$ fans heads explode:  sign Lunqvuist as a UFA after Marty retires.

I always felt signing and rejuvenating Hugh Jessiman's career would be pretty satisfying.  It's about as likely as Lunqvist signing here. 

Posted Image

#55 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

wow this is big news... has to be because of Lundqvist.  

and speaking of... sure, Torts isn't bad, he stuck to his shot blocking style.  but i would still contribute most of his success to Lundqvist- if its one or the other the obvious choice is keeping Hank

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#56 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

HISSSSSS JOBBB!!!!!!! IT'S OVVVVEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

#57 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't think anyone can fault Torts for the crappy team he had to work with.  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#58 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

HISSSSSS JOBBB!!!!!!! IT'S OVVVVEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

YES. +1

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#59 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

This is the worst news of the day.... I love Torts as the Rag$ coach.

I know.  How can this post season get any worse?

I'm here for the party

#60 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Incarcerated Bob takes educated guesses. We were talking about Torts being fired weeks ago. There was a whole thread on it.  Bob just says 'confirmed' and people think he's a genius.

It would be a great move for them. I hope they don't hire him.

yep. Bob just throws sh!t at the wall. Something is bound to stick. He's still an idiot and crap source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users