104 replies to this topic

#61 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I know.  How can this post season get any worse?

It'd be a lot worse if the Rangers were still PLAYING games as opposed to having palace intrigue.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#62 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

I don't think this is true.  There will always be a team willing to pay top dollar and that's the first year where the cap will expand again.  That said, I don't think he leaves, but he certainly could if he wanted to.

Can you imagine how much money the Flyers would throw at him if he ever became a UFA?

Posted Image

#63 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Anyone think Messier is a candidate?

#64 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

I hope so.  Too many former players flop when they coach, so it'd be great if they let him jump in with no real coaching experience.

Sadly, since he was passed over for the assistant GM slot and given a made up position, I'm thinking Sather isn't keen on giving Messier decision making power.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#65 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

id love to see him cry on the bench as a coach when he doesn't get a call

#66 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Messier's been mentioned as a candidate by Katie Strang and Darren Dreger.  I don't think they'll do it, though.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#67 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,540 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Messier's been mentioned as a candidate by Katie Strang and Darren Dreger. I don't think they'll do it, though.

Sather or any Rangers GM would never do it. Messier can do no wrong in Ranger fans eyes. He could be MacLean bad, and you couldn't fire him.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#68 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Replacement names that will be bandied about

Messier

Ruff

Ted Nolan

:)

On Sirius XM today Scott Laughlin and Phil Esposito suggested Ruff, Alain Vigneault and Guy Boucher.  Laughlin still discussing why Messier should be GM if Slats retires.

#69 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

the guy is a fvcking total jack ass to his players, reporters etc. .. made my day when the nhl Game Center alert popped up on my phone telling me he got sh!t canned
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#70 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Sather or any Rangers GM would never do it. Messier can do no wrong in Ranger fans eyes. He could be MacLean bad, and you couldn't fire him.

I'm sure they could.   But the better question is why would you hire someone like that, with zero coaching experience?   Unless you have a great bench coach with him, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

#71 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I didn't think of this, but it would actually make sense. It would play to all the moronic Rags fans that want to cling to anything and everything 1994, and Messier is already in the system. It'd be a simple promotion
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#72 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

I thought Messier wanted to be heir apparent to Sather's job?  Hell at the rate things are going he'll hold out for both (GM/coach) like Patrick Wah in Colorado.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#73 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

I will miss the camera shots of his wincing face every time we score on the rags

Edited by devlman, 29 May 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#74 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Would love to see them hire Messier.  They would have to stock boxes of Kleenex behind the bench along with the rolls of tape and smelling salts with all the crying he does.  Unfortunately, I doubt they go that route, and have a strong feeling Ruff will be their next coach. 

Posted Image

#75 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1357541

“Multiple players,” including some “top guys,” pushed for the firing of their demanding and combative 54-year-old coach, a source said, and they got their wish on Wednesday afternoon, just four days after the Blueshirts were bounced from the playoffs by the Boston Bruins.

www.SterioDesign.com

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Boomer and Carton were talking about how somehow Sather never seems to be held accountable.  Think about all of the bad contracts he's signed players to...the list is long.  He shows almost no creativity...all that clown does is hone in on the "big" names, and swoop in.  Never stops to think about how that player will fit into the team concept...Sather has been a joke for several years, even with the recent success (relative to the years that came before) that is more a result of Lundqvist's play than anything else.   

Just saw SD's post...if you want to throw your coach under the bus, fine, and I'm sure Torts' act does wear thin in time...but the players should only get to fire so many coaches.  If they don't challenge for a Cup next season (in what could be Lundqvist's last as a Ranger, though that seems unlikely), some of those players should be shown the door.  And Sather should be on thin ice, FINALLY. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#77 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Boomer and Carton were talking about how somehow Sather never seems to be held accountable.  Think about all of the bad contracts he's signed players to...the list is long.  He shows almost no creativity...all that clown does is hone in on the "big" names, and swoop in.  Never stops to think about how that player will fit into the team concept...Sather has been a joke for several years, even with the recent success (relative to the years that came before) that is more a result of Lundqvist's play than anything else.   

Just saw SD's post...if you want to throw your coach under the bus, fine, and I'm sure Torts' act does wear thin in time...but the players should only get to fire so many coaches.  If they don't challenge for a Cup next season (in what could be Lundqvist's last as a Ranger, though that seems unlikely), some of those players should be shown the door.  And Sather should be on thin ice, FINALLY. 

Hah! Sather's a big winner now compared with the first half of his Rangers tenure. Progress!

#78 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I demand Messier be the coach because it will blow up in their face like us with Johnny Mac

#79 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

re: Sather being teflon; i've heard it mentioned (almost in passing, but by reputable sources) over the years that he has a lifetime contract from Dolan. That was the condition of his original hire. If you research, you'll see no reference or mention of the length of his contract.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#80 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Oh man, hiring Messier as coach would be a DISASTER. And yet, every Rangers fan I know is talking about it. Knowing Sather, he's (seemingly) tuned into all the Rag message boards and might make the move based on how many fans are talking about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users