1631 replies to this topic

#421 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Except it doesn't.  Find me the correlation.  Shots are shots.  You think NJ's shot prevention only prevents the easy shots?  Why bother doing it, then?

Obviously in the abstract, if shots against got high or low enough, yes, we'd have to conclude that there's an impact, but I don't think that's the case in the NHL.  We see plenty of teams who give up lots of shots with high and low save percentages and vice versa to conclude that there's no correlation (again, absent lazy scoring which the Devils do have and affects Brodeur's save percentage a few points each year).  Of course you think Hasek gave up rebounds that increased his save percentage.

Except for his markedly better results over the last 3 years, to the tune of what would be worth several wins in the standings to a team that's missed the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years, yes, I agree he's not better than a 41 year old Brodeur.

Um, I said in the first line of my first post about this that he's better than Brodeur.    I just don't think that automatically means "GET THAT GUY!".   How many 1/1A's in the league do you think are better than Marty (likely answer is 98% of them)?     Would you go out of your way to acquire every single one of them?

#422 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Um, I said in the first line of my first post about this that he's better than Brodeur.    I just don't think that automatically means "GET THAT GUY!".   How many 1/1A's in the league do you think are better than Marty (likely answer is 98% of them)?     Would you go out of your way to acquire every single one of them?

Probably, until you get a 1/1A goalie at a reasonable price why would you stop trying to acquire one?

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#423 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Go out of my way?  No.  Would I trade a 2014 2nd and Fayne for Reimer?  Absolutely.  I don't think that gets it done, but it's a start.  There aren't that many goalies available who can be plausible 1As.

Edited by Triumph, 23 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#424 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Go out of my way?  No.  Would I trade a 2014 2nd and Fayne for Reimer?  Absolutely.  I don't think that gets it done, but it's a start.  There aren't that many goalies available who can be plausible 1As.

I can't have no 2014 draft with the end result being James Reimer, that's really hard to swallow.   Even with the $2-3M defenseman being involved, which can easily be replaced.

#425 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

I can't have no 2014 draft with the end result being James Reimer, that's really hard to swallow.   Even with the $2-3M defenseman being involved, which can easily be replaced.

What should be really hard to swallow is the sub-.900 SV% the Devils endured last year.  It can't be allowed to repeat.  If NJ trades down in this draft, that could cover the difference.

#426 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

What should be really hard to swallow is the sub-.900 SV% the Devils endured last year.  It can't be allowed to repeat.  If NJ trades down in this draft, that could cover the difference.

This.  Thanks to Marty for everything last thing he's done, and I mean ALL of it, and I won't ever say a bad word about him, and nothing against Hedberg, but damn if the Devils' goalie situation for 2013-14 shouldn't have us all plenty nervous.  Agree, Devils should be doing what they can to find a 1/1A-type at a reasonable price...especially since there's a minimal chance that a tandem of Brodeur/Hedberg will be terribly effective or healthy next season.

It sucks to have to acknowledge this, but like Tri said, I think Marty is as likely to be washed-up as he is to be anything approaching what he once was.  This upcoming season to me feels like a "Hung on one season too long" feel for Marty.  I understand how it all came about, and the reasons behind it, and why a guy like Marty isn't giving up/walking away, and I won't rehash it here.  But I think this final year will be a rough one.  I hope if it gets really REALLY ugly, he will retire in-season if he has to...no shame in that at all.  I would hate to see Marty sputtering with a save% in the high .870s-low .880s come mid-December.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#427 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Lundqvist is almost assuredly not going to hit the market. Miller is not elite anymore either and he's likely to be traded. Halak will probably get re-upped. As will Crawford.

I don't think that Miller is an option, but I would consider him among the better-elite goalies in the league.  He backstopped Buffalo with an .915 save pct. with a losing record.  If you look at his stats, he's been a consistent 91% save percent or better his entire career.  That's a guy in his prime.  If Brodeur could have given us that all year long, we might have made playoffs.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#428 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I don't think that Miller is an option, but I would consider him among the better-elite goalies in the league.  He backstopped Buffalo with an .915 save pct. with a losing record.  If you look at his stats, he's been a consistent 91% save percent or better his entire career.  That's a guy in his prime.  If Brodeur could have given us that all year long, we might have made playoffs.

.910 is 6 goals.

.915 is 10.

10 in 29 is alot, granted.    But hitting .910 probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, especially when some of those goals that brought the SV% down came when they were more or less finished off.

I think it's tricky.   They do need a second goalie, but it matters how much you spend on it.    Need to avoid giving up something big next June, but at the same time they have to be smart what they spend to try to do it.   Worse case scenario is that you overspend and it doesn't change much.   I do wish they ran some guys out there when Moose was sh!tting out the joint, just to see what they had, and even at the end of the season too.   It's nice that Moose got that game and gets to go out on a good note, but you don't learn much from doing that.

#429 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned but according to McKenzie on twitter the Habs have used their final complaince buyout on Kaberle.

#430 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Lou really put himself in a bad spot by signing the grumpy old goalies. There's not much young goaltending talent available on the market right now.

#431 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Lou really put himself in a bad spot by signing the grumpy old goalies. There's not much young goaltending talent available on the market right now.

Marty was getting re-signed no matter what, especially since over the last 50 games or so of 2011-12 (including the playoffs) Marty's save% was around .920.  Did you really think Lou was going to let Marty walk, even if he might have been justified in doing so?  If you want to be strictly forensic about it, sure, Lou letting Marty leave could've made sense:  Marty had shown flashes of being past his prime in both 2010-11 and 2011-12, and Lou could've said, "Well, I've gotten the best of what Marty has left, but he's 40 years old and not getting any younger, he's played an insane amount of games, I'm not sure how much more he can give.  Maybe this final playoff run was the very last of his best."  But you know full well that's not how it works, and a guy like Marty, who has given as much to his organization as anyone ever to play the game, is not going to be treated so coldly and strictly by-the-numbers (nor should he).  Call this the "price" for having enjoyed watching one of the best do his thing for your team for a prime that lasted from '93 to '10 if you want.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#432 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

I should have been a bit more explicit. resigning Moose was not the best idea.

#433 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

I would suspect Lou tries to correct this over the weekend.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#434 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

It should certainly be an exciting draft.  I expect lots of trades (but then again, I expect trades every year)

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#435 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

A little over-dramatic. There's nothing that Johan Hedberg's $1.4M contract is crippling us from doing. Lou can make a trade or a signing for the goaltender position at any time. The worst-case scenario is we have 3 goalies and Hedberg gets scratched for whatever the remainder of the season is. Maybe he assumes an assistant goaltending coach position or something. Point is, the signing doesn't "put us in a bad spot", I think it was the right contract to hand out at the time, right for Hedberg after a strong year by him, and right for the locker room.

Edited by DJ Eco, 24 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#436 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

lots of rumbling about the Leafs ready to make moves.

per Dreger and mckenzie, Phaneuf would be on the block but no one has called yet for him. 

per Davild staples, leafs would be in talks with the oilers about Gagner. Has they are looking for a young center... weird cause they have Bozak but apparently he wants about 5.5m but they dont want to give him that. kinda weird.

per Zeisberger from the Toronto Sun. Komisarek will be bought out, Bozak could have played his last game with the leafs. 

per Berger, said that komisarek and possible grabovski and liles could be bought out too.

so multiple reports are saying the same thing so Bozak seems to be a goner. And all those moves could easily make room for them to snag Clarkson if they want him.

other reports are saying that Clarkson to Toronto is almost a sure thing at this point. I believe that too.

Edited by SterioDesign, 24 June 2013 - 08:54 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#437 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

lots of rumbling about the Leafs ready to make moves.

per Dreger and mckenzie, Phaneuf would be on the block but no one has called yet for him. 

per Davild staples, leafs would be in talks with the oilers about Gagner. Has they are looking for a young center... weird cause they have Bozak but apparently he wants about 5.5m but they dont want to give him that. kinda weird.

per Zeisberger from the Toronto Sun. Komisarek will be bought out, Bozak could have played his last game with the leafs. 

per Berger, said that komisarek and possible grabovski and liles could be bought out too.

so multiple reports are saying the same thing so Bozak seems to be a goner. And all those moves could easily make room for them to snag Clarkson if they want him.

other reports are saying that Clarkson to Toronto is almost a sure thing at this point. I believe that too.

Jeez, you'd think a team that held up pretty well this past season and was 2 minutes away from making the second round of the playoffs against an insane Bruins team (they didn't, but they undoubtedly had the hardest first round matchup, harder than even the Islanders did, and forced a game 7) would try not to make too many moves to break that team up. Look at Philly and New York the past 5 years...

Edited by DJ Eco, 24 June 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#438 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, that's fine - they can have him.  I like Clarkson but I'm not convinced the huge uptick in his territorial play is legitimate, or that we can ever expect him to shoot 13% again.

#439 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, that's fine - they can have him.  I like Clarkson but I'm not convinced the huge uptick in his territorial play is legitimate, or that we can ever expect him to shoot 13% again.

yeah no big deal. what team would be hurt after losing and not getting anything / not replacing 2 30 goals scorers and a 20 goal scorer after all. 

But hey! we're not overpaying players !!! thats the real win after all.

www.SterioDesign.com

#440 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

yeah no big deal. what team would be hurt after losing and not getting anything / not replacing 2 30 goals scorers and a 20 goal scorer after all. 

But hey! we're not overpaying players !!! thats the real win after all.

Hahaha.  Clarkson is overrated around the league, at least if broadcasters are any indication of how GMs feel.  No one ever said anything about not replacing him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users