1631 replies to this topic

#461 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

It was high risk because it didn't pan out. Bobby Butler alone should have easily replaced Sykora's numbers when you look at his previous NHL and AHL seasons. As for Parise, you said yourself that you can't just replace the in one season. If you understand that, then why the panic? If it was that easy to just "replace" 50 goals, wouldn't every team in the league just do it?

Also, yes, you are panicking. Free agency is in 10 days and your mourning the loss of a draft pick in 2014.

It's true that it's early of course a lot could happen at the draft but our team structure and set up for this season and for the future is nothing to be happy about. Plus the financial trouble on top of that. And we simply don't have the prospect depth / NHL depth to make a drastic change either. and our stars are all aging and there's no one in our system that i can see really replacing them and again we don't have the depth to make great trades either.

As a fan you see this coming and you wonder how its gonna be solved.

www.SterioDesign.com

#462 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

It's true that it's early of course a lot could happen at the draft but our team structure and set up for this season and for the future is nothing to be happy about. Plus the financial trouble on top of that. And we simply don't have the prospect depth / NHL depth to make a drastic change either. and our stars are all aging and there's no one in our system that i can see really replacing them and again we don't have the depth to make great trades either.

Kovy is not old, Henrique is not old, Larsson is not old. Fayne also not old. Who is old besides the tenders, Elias, Zubes, Volch, Sal and Tally?

And we totally have the prospects to replace the aging D, just waiting for their contracts to end.

Cherry picking again.

my point was the production was replaced in a cheap and high risk way last season. Of course its not easy to replace Zach's production within a season. It clearly didnt work as we finished 2nd last in scoring. And my worry is that Lou goes down the same path this season on top that we have even more production to replace if Clarkson leave. 

Lokti should produce more, Henrique should too lets hope so, we get almost no production from our Dmen on top of that. So what im saying is that we REALLY need a boost in production from last season but a few of our own guys producing a little more than last year won't be enough either.

well not that im panicking but im in the same state of mind that i was last summer and guess what, i was right. So i kinda hope im not again this year cause giving up a top 10 pick next year will be fvcking painful

How is trading late rd draft picks high risk? Someone else already mentioned that the off-season was filled with uncertainty and many teams sat on their hands because of it.

#463 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

my point was the production was replaced in a cheap and high risk way last season. 

How was that 'high risk'? More risky than either a) sending a pick, a roster player and a prospect for a top 6 player or b) signing a player to a relatively huge deal to get him to NJ? Lou made minor trades and got guys for very, very little. Yeah it didn't pan out, but hey that's the modern NHL. Sometimes it doesn't pan out, sometimes you go to the Cup final.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#464 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

"I'm not panicking, but here's a lot of panicky talk".  No one else is thinking this way - do you think you're the one person gifted with the second sight, or that maybe you think way too negatively about the team?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#465 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,886 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Nik Backstrom's off the market:

@Russostrib

Niklas Backstrom's contract is 3 years, $10.25 million ($3.42 million cap hit) -- per source #mnwild

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#466 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

That's a good contract for Nik Backstrom - risk is the years, but the cap hit is palatable for sure.

#467 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

wtv i guess there's no use of posting about any of this anymore. If our future and next season seems so bright in reality, cant wait.

edit: i seriously won't talk about any of this until we see results but expect some serious "i told you so" if things turn the way i expected.

Edited by SterioDesign, 24 June 2013 - 01:11 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#468 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

wtv i guess there's no use of posting about any of this anymore. If our future and next season seems so bright in reality, cant wait.

edit: i seriously won't talk about any of this until we see results but expect some serious "i told you so" if things turn the way i expected.

You don't seem to understand that things don't have to be black or white.  Did I say the Devils future is super bright?  No, I did not.  There have been a lot darker periods for the Devils in the recent past.  We'll see how free agency turns out - if both Elias and Clarkson are gone with no external replacements, I'll be down on next season as well.  But to just panic about everything is ridiculous.  The Devils have young players in their system who look like NHLers - there's periods in the recent past where that really wasn't the case.

Wow, really, we'll see some 'I told you so?'  I'm surprised.  We only saw it what, twice in our discussions today?  

#469 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's easy to predict the worst and wallow in it. No one here said next season would be awesome and we can't wait for the cup parade.

As long as you're ok with the 'I told you so' when Clarkson doesn't live up to his contract if he leaves.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#470 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

It's easy to predict the worst and wallow in it. No one here said next season would be awesome and we can't wait for the cup parade.

As long as you're ok with the 'I told you so' when Clarkson doesn't live up to his contract if he leaves.

He won't, thats for sure we all know that.

www.SterioDesign.com

#471 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

That's a good contract for Nik Backstrom - risk is the years, but the cap hit is palatable for sure.

better than giving up a young player/anything for MA Fleury or giving away actual assets for the unknown of Bernier

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#472 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

kind of sad when you know the brodeur that was absolutely amazing.. then the brodeur that was just average.. to the marty that is now who is pretty much past his prime.. i don't want to see him go out as a last memory of being all washed up.. i feel maybe he should have left last season gracefully ... fans have already started turning on him which is truly fvcked up and a shame.. and new fans will only know him of how his play is now.. I'm 23.. I've been watching him since i was 5 years old and he's been my hero since.. i love the guy and will truly feel sadness when he officially hangs it up... but i don't want to see the team suffer or his reputation after all he has done because he is having a hard time walking away

The thing is, Brodeur never really declined into consistently average, if you think about it.  Brodeur's worst "prime" season in my opinion was 2000-01...it's the only season I can remember not feeling as confident in net as usual in the Brodeur Era.  The offense really covered up for him a lot that season...his 2001 SCF was a mess.  He had the four-year stretch of .906, .910, .906, and .906 save%, (2000-01 was the third of this four-year stretch), but '01 was the only season where I remember being critical of Marty's play during his prime, and the .897 save% (.870 in the Finals) he put up during the '01 playoffs was reflective of his play...he simply was not very good in those playoffs.    

Outside of that...from '93-'10, the guy rarely had a prolonged down period, let alone a down season...I'm hard-pressed to think of one, and he was remarkably healthy throughout.  The last three seasons for Marty haven't been consistently average as they've been consistently inconsistent, but the low end is the look of an aging guy who has lost his skills.  It's reason to be concerned. 

Sterio, I think the problem with you trying to play GM is that you do it from a place of fear...constantly afraid of the worst...eeeeeeeeeeeek OMG what are we going to do if this guy leaves and that guy leaves?  I think what you have to accept, painful as it may be, is that after a very long period of relevance, the Devils aren't as well-equipped to keep staying in the hunt on the fly.  You may have to endure a couple of years of true rebuilding.  Elias is not getting any younger, and if Clarkson is due to get silly money from some GM who can't control himself, so be it.  I'm not saying that I just let those walk without at least talking to them, but let's face it, the team wasn't all that great last season WITH those guys (I know Kovy being hurt didn't help, nor did the weak goaltending).  You can get to a place where you're re-signing guys to maintain a status quo that may not be so great to begin with.  Even if you re-sign Elias and Clarkson, then what?  Bringing them back for what could be significant dollars isn't going to answer the goalie question...after this season (which will probably not be great in goal to begin with), we have NO idea who's going to be net beyond. 

You can only delay the inevitable downturn for so long.  The Eliases, the Brodeurs...the faces of success we've grown accustomed to for so long...they're going to change, and very soon.  I don't accept that the Devils HAVE to keep Elias and HAVE to keep Clarkson, especially if someone out there wants to sign a guy like Clarkson to something overly long-term.  I don't necessarily want to watch a possibly declining Elias in 2014-15, or a consistently overpaid Clarkson, just because we're so afraid of the unknown.  The unknown doesn't have to be a negative by default (though it might be rough at first).           

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 24 June 2013 - 03:36 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#473 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Russo reports Backstrom re ups for three years in Minnesota 10.25 million.

http://www.hockeybuz...83#.UciuLvXD8uo

Edited by CarterforPresident, 24 June 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#474 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

So..to take this in a different direction, since I think the Clarkson/UFA leaving debate has been sufficiently beaten to death..

If the Penguins were to buy out MAF (which I think is doubtful), would you want him given a shot on the Devils?  Would a change of scenery help improve his game?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#475 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

So..to take this in a different direction, since I think the Clarkson/UFA leaving debate has been sufficiently beaten to death..

If the Penguins were to buy out MAF (which I think is doubtful), would you want him given a shot on the Devils?  Would a change of scenery help improve his game?

I would, it would be an upgrade over Moose because it will be very hard to be worse than him last season. Put a good defense in front of MAF and he will be good, nothing great though.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#476 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Sure, Fluery isn't a bad goalie, he's just very inconsistent and has played some of his worst hockey at the most important times the last 2 years.  We've also seen him play some strong hockey in important situations, so I think we can chalk it up to his natural consistency issues rather than any choking scenario.

I'd rather the Devils look at someone who is more consistently average than sometimes great/sometimes awful and ending up average but if you believe the Devils won't be that good for the next few years then having a goalie who can play amazingly for weeks at a time then Fleury can be that guy if you get lucky on your timing.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#477 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

I don't think they'll buy him out, but yeah, I'd take him.  Then again there's just about no goalie I would say no to at this point.

#478 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

If Lou really has no intention of buying anyone out then that means Moose stays put. I doubt MAF or the team would want a 3 goalie rotation and no number one goaltender is going to be keen on working in the minors all year.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#479 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think this was discussed earlier here or in another thread, but people were divided on that one too, lol. I think he'd be just fine here, maybe not elite, but at least average. I wouldn't want him at big $$$, but at a reasonable contract, I'd have no problems with it.

#480 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Florida gives butler a two year contract.
Not only that, KHL president gives a huge offer to bob.

http://prohockeytalk...ky-to-consider/

Edited by CarterforPresident, 24 June 2013 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users