1631 replies to this topic

#561 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

It might indeed 'suck' to play in Russia, but I mean...unless he's one of those "cup or bust" guys who's fueled by a chance to win the cup..we're talking about a 4m/year difference between here and there.

4 million dollars.  That's more than most players will ever make per year.  And I don't buy the 'it's difficult to come back'.  Maybe he'll burn his bridges in CBJ, but it's do-able.  If he plays well in Russia, someone will want him back. 

Other players have had the same opportunity and only one's taken it. Why would he be teh 2nd? There's no reason to think he will be. He could've made a ton in Russia but instead played on a cheap ELC

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#562 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

It might indeed 'suck' to play in Russia, but I mean...unless he's one of those "cup or bust" guys who's fueled by a chance to win the cup..we're talking about a 4m/year difference between here and there.

It's way more money than that, because the money in Russia is tax-free.  Everything else about Russia besides 'It's where you grew up' and 'They're offering you loads of money' stinks.  The amenities are worse.  The contracts aren't guaranteed.  The travel is horrible.  Some of the lower-end franchises don't draw - and when I mean don't draw, they have 5,000 seat arenas and don't sell out.  It's a second-rate league.  It's not about the Cup - it's about playing against the best players in the world.

4 million dollars.  That's more than most players will ever make per year.  And I don't buy the 'it's difficult to come back'.  Maybe he'll burn his bridges in CBJ, but it's do-able.  If he plays well in Russia, someone will want him back.

He's been playing in the KHL, how does anyone have any guarantee he's still any good?  If he wants top dollar to come back it will be hard to find it. 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#563 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Marty and LeCavs are friends, no? Just throwing it out there. I do see someone paying him much more than what we would

#564 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

So Lecalvier (who was due to get 10mil through 2016) will get 5 million PLUS whatever he makes? So he may end up being the highest paid player in the league at 33? WOW..i'd like to be bought out.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#565 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Gotta admit, the Vinny buyout made my heart beat faster. Not a lot of players of that caliber available this year. Though this is exactly why the GMs will be tearing each other apart to get him and he might end up with some insane contract. The other realistic scenario I can see happening is him settling for lower money (he's getting paid a ton anyway, duh) on a winning team for a shot at another Cup and this year we're not one of those teams, unfortunately.

#566 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

So Lecalvier (who was due to get 10mil through 2016) will get 5 million PLUS whatever he makes? So he may end up being the highest paid player in the league at 33? WOW..i'd like to be bought out.

Yeah, being bought out is a sweet deal. You basically get paid double and get to collect paychecks from two teams.

Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#567 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Tampa Bay was able to keep together that core for the longest time. I can see Vinny getting a five year deal from a team in contention.

#568 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Odds on Danny Briere's next team, according to Bovada: Devils 3-to-2, Senators 5/2, Canadiens 9/2, Sabres and Coyotes 5/1.

#569 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Odds on Danny Briere's next team, according to Bovada: Devils 3-to-2, Senators 5/2, Canadiens 9/2, Sabres and Coyotes 5/1.

he's old and over-the-hill. Obviously we're gonna sign him

but at least he's a RW which i suspect we won't have any real top 6 RW unless Lou sign someone

Edited by SterioDesign, 27 June 2013 - 10:48 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#570 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

he's old and over-the-hill. Obviously we're gonna sign him

but at least he's a RW which i suspect we won't have any real top 6 RW unless Lou sign someone

I think Briere can still turn it on and be productive. I don't see the hate for him other than he was a Flyer. Under Pete D. I could see him succeed like everyone else.

815631765.gif

#571 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Briere for cheap would be totally acceptable.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#572 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Db isn't over the hill.

#573 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

I think Briere can still turn it on and be productive. I don't see the hate for him other than he was a Flyer. Under Pete D. I could see him succeed like everyone else.

my only problem is im getting a little sick patching holes with old guy, its not necessarily anything against Brière. Meaning you'll have to re-patch that hole sooner than later and with older guys they are obviously not in their prime either. during the season last season he was absolutely terrible at some point. He's clutch in the playoffs though but god knows if we'll even make it there.

thats why i loved the Carter pickup, he's awesome in his role and he's still pretty young we could very well get the best years out of him.

www.SterioDesign.com

#574 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

He's kind of a dirty player. In addition, he can't play D to save his life. That's the basic knock against Briere

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#575 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Any idea why Phoenix is on that list? All the teams seem to be in the North East except them.

#576 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Any idea why Phoenix is on that list? All the teams seem to be in the North East except them.

he played there before he was in buffalo

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#577 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

my only problem is im getting a little sick patching holes with old guy, its not necessarily anything against Brière. Meaning you'll have to re-patch that hole sooner than later and with older guys they are obviously not in their prime either.

It is extremely hard to get a young player for a 1st or 2nd line role now. The important players teams are just locking up now. Comparing briere to carter is a terrible comparison. Although I love Carter he's a 4th liner. Briere can still play. No he isn't a 1st line guy. But he's still a mid 40s point guy that can play on the second. Briere also played through injuries for most of last year, and he's getting bought out more so because the flyers are over the cap by 8m. It would be a good pick up.

#578 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

If we sign Briere and re-sign Elias will be giving the 67 Leafs a run for their money age-wise.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#579 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

It is extremely hard to get a young player for a 1st or 2nd line role now. The important players teams are just locking up now. Comparing briere to carter is a terrible comparison. Although I love Carter he's a 4th liner. Briere can still play. No he isn't a 1st line guy. But he's still a mid 40s point guy that can play on the second. Briere also played through injuries for most of last year, and he's getting bought out more so because the flyers are over the cap by 8m. It would be a good pick up.

i didnt compare both players at all, i compared situations. Signing or picking up an old over the hill guy who could be done or will be pretty soon vs signing or picking up a young guy for a specific role that you'd likely have for longer and get his best years.

i must be terrible at explaining myself, 75% of the time my posts are misinterpreted its unreal

www.SterioDesign.com

#580 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

he played there before he was in buffalo

DH26 is probably right, but I'm going to go with a more conspiracy theory-ish "BECAUSE THEY ARE MOVING TO QUEBEC!!!" and then pretend I have sources.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users