1631 replies to this topic

#581 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

i didnt compare both players at all, i compared situations. Signing or picking up an old over the hill guy who could be done or will be pretty soon vs signing or picking up a young guy for a specific role that you'd likely have for longer and get his best years.

i must be terrible at explaining myself, 75% of the time my posts are misinterpreted its unreal

You said ur problem is that ur sick of patching holes with old players, implying that you want a younger player. The role we are talking about it a 2nd line scorer. So putting in that comment about Carter was irrelevant I guess.
What I'm saying is that if u want to patch a 2nd line scorer hole with a "young" guy it's going to be difficult to get a player like that. Most likely an older guy like briere who still has some left in the tank will out produce whatever young scrap heap player that we can get without breaking the bank either with money or assets

#582 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, I mean there are guys on the scrap heap who are scoring types and NJ got 3 last year - Butler, Loktionov, and D'Agostini.  They went 1 for 3 there.  

If you want a younger player who's any good, it either costs you assets or presents a longer-term risk because the player has to be signed for longer.  Someone like Bickell could get a 5 year deal just because he's a 27 year old UFA.

Edited by Triumph, 27 June 2013 - 04:21 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#583 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

You said ur problem is that ur sick of patching holes with old players, implying that you want a younger player. The role we are talking about it a 2nd line scorer. So putting in that comment about Carter was irrelevant I guess.
What I'm saying is that if u want to patch a 2nd line scorer hole with a "young" guy it's going to be difficult to get a player like that. Most likely an older guy like briere who still has some left in the tank will out produce whatever young scrap heap player that we can get without breaking the bank either with money or assets

i get it but i was not referring directly to the Brière situation or the 2nd line need or anything. more about the fascination of Lou bringing old guys back like Arnott, Shanahan, Holik, Sullivan etc etc etc

www.SterioDesign.com

#584 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

i get it but i was not referring directly to the Brière situation or the 2nd line need or anything. more about the fascination of Lou bringing old guys back like Arnott, Shanahan, Holik, Sullivan etc etc etc

It's not a fascination, all these guys came cheap.

Shanahan we signed for half a season with a pro rated $800k contract. Are you seriously saying that was a bad move?

Sullivan, we got for a 7th, pretty sure his 2 points or whatever he had was more than the guy we were gonna get with that pick was gonna ever put up.

Holik wasn't a great pick up, but it was 1 year at $2.5M.

Arnott's second tenure was probably the worst of them because we actually gave something up for him. The rest we got for nothing.

What quality young players would you have picked up for 7th rd pick, a 1 year $2.5M contract and a half season pro-rated contract @ $800k? I would LOVE to hear this.

I'll even give you that Arnott was a bad decision, we lost Matt Halischuck and a 2nd rd pick, that 2nd could have ended up being better value over what Arnott gave us that year.

Edited by ATLL765, 27 June 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#585 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, I mean there are guys on the scrap heap who are scoring types and NJ got 3 last year - Butler, Loktionov, and D'Agostini. They went 1 for 3 there.

If you want a younger player who's any good, it either costs you assets or presents a longer-term risk because the player has to be signed for longer. Someone like Bickell could get a 5 year deal just because he's a 27 year old UFA.

he'll be staying in Chicago and isn't asking for alot. He said he'll take a discount to stay.

#586 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

The Devils traded Halischuk and a 2nd for Arnott, but they got a 2nd and Steckel for him, then they moved Steckel for a 4th.  So really they just moved down a bunch in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft and swapped Steckel and Halischuk, two players who are about equal value

#587 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

And it looks like Halischuk may not get qualified and will be a UFA this offseason.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#588 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

The Devils traded Halischuk and a 2nd for Arnott, but they got a 2nd and Steckel for him, then they moved Steckel for a 4th.  So really they just moved down a bunch in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft and swapped Steckel and Halischuk, two players who are about equal value

The ultimate return for Halischuk was Zidlicky and the 4 they got for Steckel, I think.

#589 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

The ultimate return for Halischuk was Zidlicky and the 4 they got for Steckel, I think.

That's right - they had 2 2nds in 2012 and dealt one of them, they didn't have a 2011 2nd.

#590 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

That's right - they had 2 2nds in 2012 and dealt one of them, they didn't have a 2011 2nd.

There were alot of moving parts in the degrees of separation.   I'm oversimplifying it a bit.  

But I think rolling it forward from the Halischuk/Arnott trade on they made out pretty well.   Sometimes you have these chains of transactions and you trade something good away for something that amounts to a puddle of goo 3-4 transactions down the road.

Basically it's Halischuk + 2 + gigantic pile of junk for Zidlicky and a 4.

Edited by maxpower, 27 June 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#591 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Trade. Calgary sends sarich and tanguay to colorado for Jones and O'Brien

#592 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Pitt offers letang eight years 54 million . Cap hell if he accepts.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 27 June 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#593 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Almost 7m AAV for Letang?  Pass, holy sh!t pass.  He's clueless in his own end.

His agent apparently turned down that offer, and countered with a 7.8m/year contract.  Weber money. :lol:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#594 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Seriously!!!! What the hell are they gonna do?

#595 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Seriously!!!! What the hell are they gonna do?

Rumor is that Bettman is allowing the Penguins to be 10 mil over the cap for the next 7 years.

Source: I completely made it up

Devils.

#596 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

It wouldn't kick in until 2014-2015, so it's hard to figure out how it would play out.  They could rid themselves of Fleury's contract by then, but I suppose if they want something other than a retread goalie, they'll have to pay out about the same amount.

Wonder if he gets traded for a package that includes a late first rounder with the hope of drafting Fucale.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#597 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Letang is a really good defenseman, so they better get something done soon.  If they deal him, even if they pick up a defender in the deal, their defense for next year is kinda awful.

#598 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Letang is a really good defenseman, so they better get something done soon.  If they deal him, even if they pick up a defender in the deal, their defense for next year is kinda awful.

they have a really good d prospect pool apparently and some has been saying that Shero doesnt see Letang at the best potential dman of the bunch. Personally i cant see which would be better but who knows.

www.SterioDesign.com

#599 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Letang rejects 8-year/$54 million offer from Pens

Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC

Retweeted by James Mirtle

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 28 June 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#600 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Letang rejects 8-year/$54 million offer from Pens

Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC

Retweeted by James Mirtle

if they trade they might take a little step back in term of their D but then they'd have about 3m more on the cap to play with and 4m more for the other years that he would have signed.

i still see it as a step back obviously but to me it's better a step back for one season (where god knows, he could have had a bad season or being injured, he was also terrible in the playoffs) but at least they'd get a good return that could help them for years instead of letting him walk for nothing.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users