1631 replies to this topic

#1001 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

They got Reilly Smith who is 22 and Matt Fraser who is 23.  Joe Morrow is just 20.  Fraser is a bit of a wildcard but he has 70 goals in 135 AHL games the last two years.  Reilly Smith spent most of the season with the Stars and looks like a good bottom 6 RW who can score 15-20.

that's true. If those guys pan out, even half of them, then it goes a long way to neutralizing Seguin's age difference. 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#1002 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Montreal's off-season plan was to get bigger at all costs, but of course that changes as soon as a French Canadian comes on the market. It doesn't matter if he is one of the smallest players on the market and adds nothing that they need.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1003 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Sounds like the Devs are out on Briere.  Can't say I'm upset about that to be honest.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#1004 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Montreal's off-season plan was to get bigger at all costs, but of course that changes as soon as a French Canadian comes on the market. It doesn't matter if he is one of the smallest players on the market and adds nothing that they need.

pretty much everyone's refuting hte original report. MTL's mgmt said it was a surprise to them so let's let this play out

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#1005 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

From long time hockey journalist Jim Matheson...

https://twitter.com/...880335169654784

"I keep hearing C Stephen Weiss is looking for $6 mil a year as UFA. That's too rich for me as solid No. 2 centre"

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1006 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yea just saw that too. Horrible.

Edited by ghdi, 04 July 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#1007 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

From long time hockey journalist Jim Matheson...

https://twitter.com/...880335169654784

"I keep hearing C Stephen Weiss is looking for $6 mil a year as UFA. That's too rich for me as solid No. 2 centre"

Sure looks like the Devils gave Zajac a deal he might not have even gotten on the free agent market. Maybe matched, but I can't imagine higher. 

pretty much everyone's refuting hte original report. MTL's mgmt said it was a surprise to them so let's let this play out

Sure, let it play out, but my point is it's pretty funny that MTL is looking at Briere in the first place.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 July 2013 - 03:12 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1008 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

I was gonna say, Montreal doesn't need Briere. But yeah they love their French guys. All that refuting is bullsh!t, where there's smoke there's fire usually.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1009 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Sure looks like the Devils gave Zajac a deal he might not have even gotten on the free agent market. Maybe matched, but I can't imagine higher. 

That's how some of these deals signed a year in advance work.  Would Tyler Seguin have gotten a 6 year 5.75M per deal coming off this season?  I don't think so.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1010 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

That's how some of these deals signed a year in advance work.  Would Tyler Seguin have gotten a 6 year 5.75M per deal coming off this season?  I don't think so.

I think there is a better chance Seguin gets that deal than Zajac. It's hard to compare since one could have been a UFA now and one could not. If Seguin was a UFA, I think most teams with cap space still give him that deal. Not sure what Zajac would get on the open market now. But it's the nature of the beast. After this past season, Zajac might have just as easily walked. Who knows? Devils are better off with him and that contract than without.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 July 2013 - 04:01 PM.

logokx.jpg

#1011 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm getting a whiff of no Weiss, no Briere, no nothing? What???? I NEVER saw this coming.........,,,,,,

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#1012 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yup Brière picked MTL

Source just told me, Canadiens will announce that Daniel Brière has made his choice and its Montreal. #RDS

on to plan C...

Edited by SterioDesign, 04 July 2013 - 04:13 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1013 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

They only have around $10M cap left to spend.  (taking $2.5-3M out for Josefson and Henrique, well, mostly Henrique) So I'm not sure why someone would believe they're going out and signing everyone in the first place.  And they're already at $55M+ in cash spent.

I'd say they may make one significant signing.   Or maybe two Clowe level things.

Also, if they were to spend to the cap they'd be around $69M in payroll.   I'm not sure that's happening, if it is, their financial health is grossly understated.   I'm not convinced they're going to easily dump off defensive salary.

Edited by maxpower, 04 July 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#1014 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Official.

Canadiens have agreed to a 2-year deal with forward Daniel Brière.

#1015 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

per Real Lebrun

Briere informed the Habs 15 min ago. Two years, $8 M deal

well well well... thats EXACTLY what i posted like 3-4 hours ago based on a report from twiter. what do you know, can't believe those random guys at all

www.SterioDesign.com

#1016 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Cue the Brian Gionta back to the Devils rumors.

#1017 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Cue the Brian Gionta back to the Devils rumors.

Yep. That would be so Lou lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1018 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Still boggles my mind how Clarkson could possibly ask for more then $4,5M. Hope Toronto grabs him for $6 so we can pick up Grabovski and Bozak. :D

Posted Image

#1019 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

They only have around $10M cap left to spend.  (taking $2.5-3M out for Josefson and Henrique, well, mostly Henrique) So I'm not sure why someone would believe they're going out and signing everyone in the first place.  And they're already at $55M+ in cash spent.

I'd say they may make one significant signing.   Or maybe two Clowe level things.

Also, if they were to spend to the cap they'd be around $69M in payroll.   I'm not sure that's happening, if it is, their financial health is grossly understated.   I'm not convinced they're going to easily dump off defensive salary.

I think if they pick up 1/3rd of Tallinder's contract he's easy to move.  The trades won't happen until the free agents are settled, but Tallinder at 1/2.3 is a pretty great deal for a team.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1020 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

if we TRADE for Gionta im gonna be a bit pissed. Sign him cheap when his contract is over fine. But to TRADE and send something to mtl for him... no....

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users