1631 replies to this topic

#1021 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

They only have around $10M cap left to spend.  (taking $2.5-3M out for Josefson and Henrique, well, mostly Henrique) So I'm not sure why someone would believe they're going out and signing everyone in the first place.  And they're already at $55M+ in cash spent.

I'd say they may make one significant signing.   Or maybe two Clowe level things.

Also, if they were to spend to the cap they'd be around $69M in payroll.   I'm not sure that's happening, if it is, their financial health is grossly understated.   I'm not convinced they're going to easily dump off defensive salary.

Pretty much this. IMO, Lamoriello made a mistake to mention "active" in regards to the FA market and have the fans expect something. When you think about it, you can be "active" just by kicking tires and not sign anyone. I can say i am going shopping, look around and not come home with anything. It's double talk. If anyone thinks Lamoriello is going to go out and outspend anyone else for a player in this market is dreaming. He can say "well, we tried. We said we'd be active and the player chose this and the price was that..blah blah blah and we didn't get the player." 

To me, it's just created more conversation then his usual talk. Of course he'll be "active" and try but if anyone thinks he'll be going out and adding 2-3 FA additions with a newfound wealth, i am not sure they should be hitting F5 all day tommorow.

#1022 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,311 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

if we TRADE for Gionta im gonna be a bit pissed. Sign him cheap when his contract is over fine. But to TRADE and send something to mtl for him... no....

We have 725 defensemen. If they're willing to take Volchenkov or Tallinder or someone like that I have no problem with it.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1023 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,743 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

I don't see why Montreal would deal Gionta, much as I would welcome him on next year's team - they're under the cap and seem to be close to set for next year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1024 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't see why Montreal would deal Gionta, much as I would welcome him on next year's team - they're under the cap and seem to be close to set for next year.

rumours has been going that Desharnais, Plekanec or Gionta are gone. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#1025 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Alain Sanscartier reported that Brière would have choose MTL already and terms would be 8m for 2 years.

Not sure how true this is but he's usually legit. Other sources are saying nothing is done. who knows

It's on yahoo, briere to Montreal
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#1026 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

@HeyTJWeber "Wings favorites for Bobby Ryan, source says watch for the Devils to make a splash today, have talked to Ducks for Ryan."

n2eg.jpg

#1027 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,311 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Clarkson met with Edmonton today as well. @aaronward_nhl: Sources confirming David Clarkson met with the Edmonton Oilers today in Edmonton. #TSN
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1028 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

@HeyTJWeber "Wings favorites for Bobby Ryan, source says watch for the Devils to make a splash today, have talked to Ducks for Ryan."

please god let this be true, idc what it takes

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#1029 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

please god let this be true, idc what it takes

IMO? It'd take Henrique and Gelinas/Urbom...maybe a draft pick or so

n2eg.jpg

#1030 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

IMO? It'd take Henrique and Gelinas/Urbom...maybe a draft pick or so

this probably wouldn't do it but yes I would accept

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#1031 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

is he credible?

#1032 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

is he credible?

Writes for the Detroit News and the Wings are in on Ryan as well so I assume he does know something.

Edited by TheMazz, 04 July 2013 - 07:36 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1033 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Devils have been in on everything according to everyone. We could speculate to death, but whatever.

Lou says the Devils will be active during every free agency and trade deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if he does very little and by very little I mean a 4th line guy.

He said he was going to be active during the trade deadline last season and we got Steve Sullivan. I'm not dissing Lou, but Devils and the term "Big Splash" rarely turn out to be true.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#1034 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

From long time hockey journalist Jim Matheson...

https://twitter.com/...880335169654784

"I keep hearing C Stephen Weiss is looking for $6 mil a year as UFA. That's too rich for me as solid No. 2 centre"

You'd better wise up, Stephen Weiss.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#1035 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Devils have been in on everything according to everyone. We could speculate to death, but whatever.

Lou says the Devils will be active during every free agency and trade deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if he does very little and by very little I mean a 4th line guy.

He said he was going to be active during the trade deadline last season and we got Steve Sullivan. I'm not dissing Lou, but Devils and the term "Big Splash" rarely turn out to be true.

Kovalchuk, Mogilny, Gilmour, Scheinder...

n2eg.jpg

#1036 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Then there was that Cory Schneider guy.

Edited by Daniel, 04 July 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1037 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

he did the unexpected with Schneider. So who really knows.

#1038 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Then there was that Cory Schneider guy.

True, but Lou hasn't splashed twice in a long time.

#1039 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

You'd better wise up, Stephen Weiss.

Hate to say it...the Devils are going to have to pay someone 6 million...all of the guys that can give them the offense they need are going to come at a price...

Unless you want 4 lines of slightly above average. Guys are going to find a team that well pay more...there are teams that have a ton of cap space

Edited by TheMazz, 04 July 2013 - 07:55 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1040 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Plus the 1 way deal Tedenby signed gives me a bit of hesitancy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users