1631 replies to this topic

#1121 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

I bet you this is Elias... The Ledger guys have been tweeting quotes from Elias regarding Zidlicky, his new contract, etc., and then this little story came out shortly after. Elias has a lot to say, a blunt but smart point of view usually, and can be pretty outspoken on stuff like this. I bet it's him, sounds like him.

Was just going to say this. Patty is never afraid to speak his mind.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#1122 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Was just going to say this. Patty is never afraid to speak his mind.

It's pretty obvious. One minute, Gulitti and Chere are tweeting Elias's phone/interview about various things this offseason and then minutes later, this article goes up... He's pretty much saying the same thing a lot of us are, about our system (and him) making Clarkson a better player...

#1123 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

It's unfortunate that he didn't score, but sometimes that's how it goes.  In all other aspects of the game you'd want him to excel in, he was excellent - board play, creativity, vision.  Didn't look worn out.

He created very, very little, but had ample opportunities.   He handcuffed Bergeron and Marchand by not being able to keep up.

He played so badly in the playoffs he is probably not coming back to Boston.   The fact that Horton will not be back and they still aren't looking at him speaks volumes.

What is Patty saying about Zidlicky???

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1124 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

"@TGfireandice: Patrik Elias said he spoke last night with D Marek Zidlicky, who still hopes to return to NJ, but isn't sure what will happen."

^^Doesn't sound like a sure fire bet that Zidlicky will be back. I bet Lou's waiting it out to see if he'll take a cheap contract if enough time passes. That's the right move in my opinion..

#1125 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Just that Zidlicky wants to come back, his son is comfortable here...etc.  Nothing crazy.

Posted Image

#1126 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Holy sh!te!!! Alfredsson to Detroit in a 1-year deal. 

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1127 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Waiting Zidlicky out is the smart move.  He's a bottom pairing defender with PP minutes guy now.  Lou may also be waiting to see if he can ship out one of the other veteran D. 

I honestly don't see a huge market for Zidlicky, at least one where some other team offers him a crazy deal we can't at least consider competing against.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#1128 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Holy sh!te!!! Alfredsson to Detroit in a 1-year deal. 

Ottawa fans are right now as livid as we were last year. 

Detroit and Ottawa are in the same division now too. 

That should be fun to watch next year lol.

#1129 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Waiting Zidlicky out is the smart move.  He's a bottom pairing defender with PP minutes guy now.  Lou may also be waiting to see if he can ship out one of the other veteran D. 

I honestly don't see a huge market for Zidlicky, at least one where some other team offers him a crazy deal we can't at least consider competing against.

I kind of agree.  He is defensemen who fits only on a few teams (see his career in Minnesota and how he was phased out in Nashville).   Lou gave his career in the NHL an extension.   Although there is always a market for an offensive defensemen, I just don't see much of huge % payday for him a kin to Suter or Letang.

Edited by MantaRay, 05 July 2013 - 10:49 AM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1130 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

As UFA is about to begin, just want to remind some of the newer guys to not create new threads about unsubstantiated rumors.  Make sure all claims are from verified sources.

This could have been us with Elias this year.  Thank God Lou signed him up.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1131 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Emery to Philadelphia in a 1-year deal

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1132 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

http://firstrowus.eu...hl-network.html

Stream if anyone needs it. Its NHL Network, but they're going to the TSN coverage at noon.

#1133 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Alfredsson is a shell of his former self.  Ottawa is smart not to sign him.  I really don't know what he's thinking at this point.  This opens up more room for them to sign Clarkson.

I kind of agree.  He is defensemen who fits only on a few teams (see his career in Minnesota and how he was phased out in Nashville).   Lou gave his career in the NHL an extension.   Although there is always a market for an offensive defensemen, I just don't see much of huge % payday for him a kin to Suter or Letang.

UFA's always get bigger checks than they should.  If he stays in NJ he's going to have to go on a serious discount.  I don't think the Devils have the money for Zid and the forwards they're charging for.

#1134 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Wow the Alfredsson story is really getting interesting.   Detroit only openned discussions with Alfie, because Elias turned them down.  Elias apparently was Detroit's #1 option in the UFA market, which is why there was a delay in him signing with NJ.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1135 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Alfie leaving for Sens fans (and what that organization has/has done, etc) is the equivalent of Marty leaving the Devils last season. He is that loved. I still think he has a fair amount of game left. He might be 40, but he doesn't have that many NHL miles on him (under 1200 games).

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1136 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Easy for us to say, but I can't see why they'd be pissed. He was on the verge of retirement last offseason. Then he decided to come back, gave it his all, they had another valiant effort and offseason (I absolutely love their team and their spirit). He's gonna go for a Cup, and play with the other Swedish nationals, it seems like the perfect fit and ending to his career.

#1137 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Alfredsson is a shell of his former self.  Ottawa is smart not to sign him.  I really don't know what he's thinking at this point.  This opens up more room for them to sign Clarkson.

UFA's always get bigger checks than they should.  If he stays in NJ he's going to have to go on a serious discount.  I don't think the Devils have the money for Zid and the forwards they're charging for.

Alfredsson is still one of the best forwards in the league, Ottawa is not going to make the playoffs now.  He is that good.  Clarkson is there #2 option from what I hear.

This should be a very selective UFA market with the salary cap being reduced.   I think he will re-sign with NJ, for a reasonable price, Lou has a little time.

Ready, Steady....GO!

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1138 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think he will re-sign with NJ, for a reasonable price, Lou has a little time.

I think this overly optimistic at best and borderline delusional at worst at this point. TSN has him ranked #1 on their list lol.

As for Elias, he spurned Montreal last time, he spurned Detroit this time. fvck em both. Devil for life.

Edited by ghdi, 05 July 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#1139 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

I knew that things were looking bad in Buffalo as far as keepin Vanek and Miller, but I didn't expect this to come so early.

" Ryan Miller has apparently just sold his Delaware District town house, adding more fuel to the fire for speculation that he is heading out of town."

Link: http://www.wivb.com/...ffalo-townhouse

Edited by NJDevils1214, 05 July 2013 - 11:04 AM.

815631765.gif

#1140 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Make some room JVB for the newest broke owner; Eugene Melnyk!!!!!

If that happened here the Post would be insisting Alfie left cause Ottawa couldn't pay him :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users