1631 replies to this topic

#121 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Why is langenbrunner so hated around here... I use to love the guy he was one of my favorites for a long time and it seems like he got a real bad rep when he was forced to leave i must've missed something

The short story is he didn't seem to like his role on the team, and decided to set a great example by moping around for a year.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#122 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Why is langenbrunner so hated around here... I use to love the guy he was one of my favorites for a long time and it seems like he got a real bad rep when he was forced to leave i must've missed something

He walked around the locker room singing "It's a Hard Knock Life" from Annie too much.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#123 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

I don't understand it either. He wasn't playing good the whole year before he was traded. And everyone on this board was apparently in the locker room to see for themselves how he was so detrimental to the locker room. Even though all the players liked him. He didn't waive his no-trade in the beginning of the year because he liked playing here. While anyone else doing that would be heralded he becomes the scapegoat to a bad season. I remember the game after he was traded someone was wearing a "langenbummer" jersey and someone was taking a pic of it and laughing, I point to the 03 banner and told them to be sure to take a pic of that too.

Devils.

#124 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Mario Tremblay, a Devils assistant coach, has ripped Langenbrunner a bit on the radio for being bad in the locker room. I obviously wasn't in the locker room but it certainly appears that he was a pretty bad influence his last 2 seasons, for whatever reason.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#125 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I don't hate Langenbrunner but it's clear he didn't take aging well and he's obviously finished now.

Malkin signs 8 years, 76 million - pretty fair deal for all sides.  He would've gotten more had he gone UFA, but he's signing a year in advance.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#126 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

i wonder if jamie will just go to retirement now or if he will try to find work else where
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#127 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

I kinda do hope he goes to Minnesota, then they can resign madden from retirement. Lets get an all ex-devil team over there!

Devils.

#128 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

I don't hate Langenbrunner but it's clear he didn't take aging well and he's obviously finished now.

Malkin signs 8 years, 76 million - pretty fair deal for all sides.  He would've gotten more had he gone UFA, but he's signing a year in advance.

I can't imagine that, unless there's a huge cap bump.  Seven years at $80 million . . . $11.4 million cap hit.  That's real steep, even for someone like Malkin.  Plus, while I don't have the inclination to look at the numbers, you don't have too many teams that can afford to pay that much with the cap space.  Detroit is the only team that comes to mind.  Unless you mean that he could have held out for more money from the Penguins. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#129 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

I can't imagine that, unless there's a huge cap bump.  Seven years at $80 million . . . $11.4 million cap hit.  That's real steep, even for someone like Malkin.  Plus, while I don't have the inclination to look at the numbers, you don't have too many teams that can afford to pay that much with the cap space.  Detroit is the only team that comes to mind.  Unless you mean that he could have held out for more money from the Penguins. 

I do not look at deals in terms of total money because with the new setup that is silly.  The only way Malkin loses money on a 7 year deal versus 8 is if he has a career-ending injury - the chances of which are not remote but not likely either.  Malkin could've easily gotten 7/70 from the UFA market (probably closer to 7/77) and it would take a career-ender for him to not be worth $6M in that last year.

#130 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

I do not look at deals in terms of total money because with the new setup that is silly.  The only way Malkin loses money on a 7 year deal versus 8 is if he has a career-ending injury - the chances of which are not remote but not likely either.  Malkin could've easily gotten 7/70 from the UFA market (probably closer to 7/77) and it would take a career-ender for him to not be worth $6M in that last year.

Not necessarily.  He could turn out just to be a very average player by the time he's 35 or 36 when either deal would be ending.  And, 7/77 is pushing things so far as what cap number a team is willing to take. 

In the end though, the certainty he gets now is worth the the additional money he might be missing out on 8 years down the road.  So it's really just an academic point.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#131 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

nice to see the penguins are getting things done good for them.. i swear if we lose elias and clarkson to free agency because someone was taking their time dragging their feet ill lose it.. if a deal cant be made a deal cant be made and let the fans know whats going on.. sick of losing quality players
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#132 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

nice to see the penguins are getting things done good for them.. i swear if we lose elias and clarkson to free agency because someone was taking their time dragging their feet ill lose it.. if a deal cant be made a deal cant be made and let the fans know whats going on.. sick of losing quality players

There are a good amount of times letting go of a quality player now is better in the long run.

Take Brian Gionta for example.  If you look at his deal for $5 million each if I remember correctly, that kinda stung.  But just think how he will be compared to that salary in the last year of his deal.  Now it looks awful.  I am not upset by him leaving.

#133 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Pens are probably going to trade Letang.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Not necessarily.  He could turn out just to be a very average player by the time he's 35 or 36 when either deal would be ending.  And, 7/77 is pushing things so far as what cap number a team is willing to take. 

In the end though, the certainty he gets now is worth the the additional money he might be missing out on 8 years down the road.  So it's really just an academic point.

Great players always get the benefit of the doubt.  I bet Jarome Iginla makes 4.5M per on his new deal wherever he signs even though he is an average player now.

#135 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

There are a good amount of times letting go of a quality player now is better in the long run.

Take Brian Gionta for example.  If you look at his deal for $5 million each if I remember correctly, that kinda stung.  But just think how he will be compared to that salary in the last year of his deal.  Now it looks awful.  I am not upset by him leaving.

I, personally, was never upset by it. I didn't think he was worth $5M then, still don't now.

#136 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I, personally, was never upset by it. I didn't think he was worth $5M then, still don't now.

This. I was pretty much OK with that. I was happy for him that he got the payday, but I was glad it wasn't us giving it to him.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#137 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Great players always get the benefit of the doubt.  I bet Jarome Iginla makes 4.5M per on his new deal wherever he signs even though he is an average player now.

True, although Iginla has that "leadership" quality that Malkin probably never will be perceived as having.  But if a 39 year old Sergei Gonchar is getting 5 million a year.... 

Posted Image

#138 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

No use getting all flustered about things. This is how the NHL works, and especially Devils. It's not like other sports where you know who is signing where and for how much weeks before it happens.

#139 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

True, although Iginla has that "leadership" quality that Malkin probably never will be perceived as having.  But if a 39 year old Sergei Gonchar is getting 5 million a year.... 

This seems nuts to me, $5M for Gonchar? For a while at the beginning Gonchar even struggled in Ottawa, IIRC. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me.

#140 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

This seems nuts to me, $5M for Gonchar? For a while at the beginning Gonchar even struggled in Ottawa, IIRC. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me.

I guess the way Dallas sees it is that it will not be close to being a cap team anytime soon even with Gonchar, who I seem to recall was playing better anyway.   

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users