1631 replies to this topic

#1581 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Parise is way, way overpaid. Let's be honest, that contract is not going to look good in a few years. It sucks he's gone, but I thought we were all happy that we wouldn't have to deal with a declining 33 year old Parise at a $7-8 million cap hit for 7 more years. It would have been worse while Kovalchuk was still in the picture.

It didn't look good THIS year, after their playoff round. Minnesota Wild fans everywhere started to acknowledge that maybe we were right about him disappearing in the playoffs.

#1582 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

lol

edit: okay i didnt want to reply anything but i'll just say this. There's nothing that i dont "get", i simply don't agree. Most of you guys are simply a bunch of hypocrite homers who would praise anything Lou does and refuse to admit when he does thing that hurt us.

You'll use what he did "right" (which i agree he did a lot) to cover what he does wrong listing a bunch of things that he did and what we won and accomplished (and ignore it) and when a rival GM does something very right you guys will brush it off just calling off the bad moves he did. I'm just not that hypocrite sorry. We see this a lot with Shero, he didnt get the results he should have lately but he did GREAT in the last few years, a lot better than Lou but yet most of you will just bash him cause he's the Pens GM. I dont like him either and the Pens but gotta give credits where its due

And then you'll base whats the "right" thing to do in your mind based on the way Lou does things. It's not and our lack of depth and talent on the team right now at the moment and us losing quite possibly a top pick this year is a result of all that.

Holy sh!t dude. We know.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#1583 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Losing Parise sucked majorly at first but just kinda sucks now.  By the end of this coming season I won't care anymore and by the end of the season after that I will be glad we are not stuck with him and that contract.

The end.

#1584 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Losing Parise sucked majorly at first but just kinda sucks now.  By the end of this coming season I won't care anymore and by the end of the season after that I will be glad we are not stuck with him and that contract.

The end.

Until he's brought back once Minnesota buys him out in about.. 6 years, tops.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1585 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Until he's brought back once Minnesota buys him out in about.. 6 years, tops.

Not sure if I want him back.  Not because I would still be pissed at him, I just wonder what kind of player he would be then.

#1586 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Not sure if I want him back.  Not because I would still be pissed at him, I just wonder what kind of player he would be then.

Either an average bottom 6er or out of the league

See Drury,Chris

#1587 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

we should be thankful that we got to enjoy parise threw his best years.. dont think i would have wanted to tie him up in a long pricey contract .. he was obviously a great player but i feel like there is other younger talent out there there by the time his contract really gets ticking
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1588 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

It didn't look good THIS year, after their playoff round. Minnesota Wild fans everywhere started to acknowledge that maybe we were right about him disappearing in the playoffs.

Are you suggesting that 1 goal and a minus 7 in 5 games isn't worth a 7.5 million cap hit??

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1589 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

The Parise contract is fine going forward - Kane and Toews are going to get 9M+, Getzlaf and Perry got a higher cap hit, not sure either's better than Zach, and if so not significantly - the issue with it is cap recapture, which is going to really jam up the Wild's salary cap situation when Zach retires.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1590 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

The Parise contract is fine going forward - Kane and Toews are going to get 9M+, Getzlaf and Perry got a higher cap hit, not sure either's better than Zach, and if so not significantly - the issue with it is cap recapture, which is going to really jam up the Wild's salary cap situation when Zach retires.

Not sure I agree with that.

In 5-7 years, the cap will probably be around 75-80 million. You'd be comfortable having two players in their mid-thirties taking up around  ~20 percent of the cap? Parise, as we probably know will not be a top 6 player at the point and who knows where Suter will be? It's not like salaries are increasing for the Wild too. Brodin is a great player and will be getting PAID and if Granlund and Coyle break out, there could be some problems. 

It'll be tough for them, especially if the rumors about Vanek wanting to come there are true

#1591 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

In 5-7 years, the cap will probably be around 75-80 million.

In 5 years, the cap will probably be $80M.  Can't predict the future, but I'd be surprised if it was under that amount.  The players get to vote for the 5% inflator every year, which they've been doing every year since the 2005 lockout.  5% of where the cap is going is a large amount now - that in itself is $3M a year.  

You'd be comfortable having two players in their mid-thirties taking up around  ~20 percent of the cap? Parise, as we probably know will not be a top 6 player at the point and who knows where Suter will be? It's not like salaries are increasing for the Wild too. Brodin is a great player and will be getting PAID and if Granlund and Coyle break out, there could be some problems.

I wouldn't be, but my point was that Parise's cap hit is fine now.  Going forward it depends on how Parise declines versus how the cap goes up.  Star defensemen age really well, typically - dunno if Ryan Suter falls into that camp.  In the short season, Parise was able to maintain his shot rate even on a worse team - we'll see how long he does that.  Once he falls below 3 shots a game it's going to get ugly.

It'll be tough for them, especially if the rumors about Vanek wanting to come there are true

It's rumored that they're talking a new deal for Pominville, I can't imagine them having room for Vanek after that.  

Edited by Triumph, 05 September 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#1592 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ask your brother about how his Rangers partial plan was last year.  Oh yeah I forgot they priced him out of the arena.

I love the fact that he's stuck with the sh!t company known as Cablevision for TV and internet. It's like a daily reminder to him about how much Dolan screws him in life! haha

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1593 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Mueller signed in the Swiss league per McKenzie.

#1594 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

My man Kiptusoff retires. Good guy and great goalie

http://prohockeytalk...off-retirement/

#1595 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

My man Kiptusoff retires. Good guy and great goalie

http://prohockeytalk...off-retirement/

Wow, didn't realize he was 36 years old already.  My first thought was before I looked up his age was "Man, he seems kind of young to retire."  Scary how quickly the time passes. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1596 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Wow, didn't realize he was 36 years old already.  My first thought was before I looked up his age was "Man, he seems kind of young to retire."  Scary how quickly the time passes. 

Honestly, I thought he was older than 36.

#1597 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Gotta give Kipper credit. He had a chance to get traded at the deadline and decided to finish it in Calgary and retire as a Flame. Good for him.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1598 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Not sure I agree with that.

In 5-7 years, the cap will probably be around 75-80 million. You'd be comfortable having two players in their mid-thirties taking up around  ~20 percent of the cap? Parise, as we probably know will not be a top 6 player at the point and who knows where Suter will be? It's not like salaries are increasing for the Wild too. Brodin is a great player and will be getting PAID and if Granlund and Coyle break out, there could be some problems. 

you're never "stuck" with good players. At the very worst if you can't make it under the cap teams that can will throw picks, players, prospects at you of similar value which will give you something in return for the future or not set you back too much since you get an NHL caliber player in return and fit under the cap.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1599 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

you're never "stuck" with good players. At the very worst if you can't make it under the cap teams that can will throw picks, players, prospects at you of similar value which will give you something in return for the future or not set you back too much since you get an NHL caliber player in return and fit under the cap.

Yeah, because there have never been past-their-prime star NHL players with awful contracts that were impossible to move.

That was my best Triumph impression (like the condescending sarcasm?  :lol:), but seriously.  If Parise were to crash within the next 5 years, you're going to have a bad player with an awful contract that noone will want to pick up (See: Drury, Redden, Briere, Bryz, Lecavalier, to a lesser extent Luongo..etc.)  Again:  This isn't Be A GM mode, this is real life.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1600 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, because there have never been past-their-prime star NHL players with awful contracts that were impossible to move.

That was my best Triumph impression (like the condescending sarcasm?   :lol:), but seriously.  If Parise were to crash within the next 5 years, you're going to have a bad player with an awful contract that noone will want to pick up (See: Drury, Redden, Briere, Bryz, Lecavalier, to a lesser extent Luongo..etc.)  Again:  This isn't Be A GM mode, this is real life.

The Wild are very unlikely to ever trade Parise, because they'll face a giant dead cap hit if they do, and whoever gets him will face a cap penalty if he retires early - his contract is severely front-loaded.  He's basically untradeable under this CBA no matter how good or bad he is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users