Photo

Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Where will the Devils make their first selection in the 2013 draft?

1. 1-8 overall (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

2. 9 (24 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. 10+ (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I mean i dont think we can expect them to move up in the top 5 but lets not get greedy here... But a top 8 would be perfect and i mean... Unless the Sabres are reaaaaallly high on that particular guy falling at 8... And since they are rebuilting, getting a near ready prospect or wtv + the next best guy at 9 in a still very good draft is reaaaaally not bad, i dont think its impossible.

I mean i was high on Domi all season and theres a few reaaally good prospects but if we dont get one of the top guys we kept on talking about i gotta admit im gonna be bummed a little but still, we could endup with the best player out of that draft for all we know.

www.SterioDesign.com

#22 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

we will trade with florida and will acquire mackinnon... tallon told he could be willing to move his pick

#23 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

we will trade with florida and will acquire mackinnon... tallon told he could be willing to move his pick

I don't think we have the picks to get that done. Henrique would probably have to be gone in that deal at least along with a bunch of other stuff 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't think we have the picks to get that done. Henrique would probably have to be gone in that deal at least along with a bunch of other stuff 

Henrique + our 2nd + 9th overall probably does it - maybe throw in something else like Mark Fayne.  But that's still too much.  

Edited by Triumph, 01 June 2013 - 10:04 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Henrique + our 2nd + 9th overall probably does it - maybe throw in something else like Mark Fayne. But that's still too much.

Would do that in a heartbeat. Essentially a top six forward, a number 3/4 defenseman with one more year before UFA and a second for someone that projects to be a superstar center. This is especially the case in is situation where the Devils already have more defenseman than they know what to do with.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unless you're drafting Sydney Crosby, you always say you're willing to move a pick. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#26 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Devils are gonna pick 9th, take Shinkaruk, and you're all gonna like it!

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Would do that in a heartbeat. Essentially a top six forward, a number 3/4 defenseman with one more year before UFA and a second for someone that projects to be a superstar center. This is especially the case in is situation where the Devils already have more defenseman than they know what to do with. 

No it isn't - it includes the 9th overall pick which might also be a superstar player.  But I still think they'd need more and that NJ doesn't have the kind of pieces that gets that deal done - the Panthers have lots of prospect depth.  They'd want something better than Henrique.  

#28 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

No it isn't - it includes the 9th overall pick which might also be a superstar player. But I still think they'd need more and that NJ doesn't have the kind of pieces that gets that deal done - the Panthers have lots of prospect depth. They'd want something better than Henrique.

Off the top of my head, their top 6 consists of Huberdeau, Fleichmann, Versteeg, Mueller and Weiss if he re-signs. Definitely a place for Henrique there.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

No it isn't - it includes the 9th overall pick which might also be a superstar player.  But I still think they'd need more and that NJ doesn't have the kind of pieces that gets that deal done - the Panthers have lots of prospect depth.  They'd want something better than Henrique.  

Key is "might", compared to MacKinnon who is as close as you can get without being Crosby.  However you want to view it though, I'd still do it. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#30 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Key is "might", compared to MacKinnon who is as close as you can get without being Crosby.  However you want to view it though, I'd still do it. 

Yeah, but MacKinnon still is only a "potential" star, so he's a risk as well, as all draft picks are.

The idea is that while you gain what's likely to be a #1C, you're giving up:

#9 Pick(Likely to be a guaranteed top 6 forward, possibly even a 1LW/C/RW/D, depending on pick)
+
Henrique(Seems to be capable of filling a top 6 role for us in the future)
+
2nd rd pick(At one spot lower than where we drafted Merrill and higher than where we took Elias)
With a deep draft we could draft another guy who's quite talented at this spot.
+

maybe even Fayne(Who right now, while having had a not that great season, he was coming off wrist surgery in the offseason and I think he can be a solid mid pairing defenseman for us while remaining at a reasonable salary)

That's a lot just for a potential #1C when you may have still been able to get an almost as good player with our #9 pick.

#31 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's hockeybuzz...but at least it's something to look at.

http://www.hockeybuz...95#.UaumNG3p-MQ

n2eg.jpg

#32 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's hockeybuzz...but at least it's something to look at.

http://www.hockeybuz...95#.UaumNG3p-MQ

very interesting and nerve racking article. If those rumors actually do have merit, then it's exciting.

I've never even considered this Russian factor, I've never cared. A player like Valeri needs to be drafted high

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#33 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hearing Єklund (2.3% accurate) refer to "his sources" still makes me cringe

#34 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hearing Єklund (2.3% accurate) refer to "his sources" still makes me cringe

Plus the fact that it would not be Lou who would assess drat picks. It's basically Conte's show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#35 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

if he falls to 9, which he won't, the devils have to take him.

of course, it will be an interesting play for lou because, for one, lou won't give out any bonus and the russian kids, for the most part still value money pretty highly. secondly, that he has said he wants to play in the khl as opposed to the ahl might rub lou the wrong way.

i think lou figures out how to work that out regardless should he be available but again, at 9, i think he is long gone.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#36 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

If this guy is drawing comparisons to Lindros and is going to net the team trading the pick 2 top 6s the Devils don't have a trade to make.  I still think their best bet would be drop back a few spots take Domi, pick up another 2nd this year and a higher pick (mayber a first) in next years draft because they don't have a 1st of thier own.

#37 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

All I know is they better have a crappy slot spot next year to forfeit.

My $.02 worth since I have absolutely no clue on prospects and rely on all of you for info.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#38 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Bob McKenzie said that he believes Edmonton will be moving their 7th Overall Pick, so if the Devils are high enough on a Monahan/Lindholm/Etc, maybe this could turn into a very real possibility.
25smul5.png

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

They'd have to give up their 2nd round pick to swap with Edmonton, and I don't think they have any combination of players they could credibly deal for the 7th overall pick outright.  I don't see what Edmonton needs with another 2nd round pick.

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

They'd have to give up their 2nd round pick to swap with Edmonton, and I don't think they have any combination of players they could credibly deal for the 7th overall pick outright. I don't see what Edmonton needs with another 2nd round pick.

If you're not including Larsson, perhaps Merrill and something else gets the seventh pick. That's about it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users