69 replies to this topic

#21 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

They can get soft minutes with that third line taking a checking role. Same with Clarkson, he was useless while playing against top lines, give him softer minutes and he will produce.

I agree to a certain extent, but there are still 41 road games where Deboer will have no control. They'd still be exciting as he'll to watch!

#22 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

I agree to a certain extent, but there are still 41 road games where Deboer will have no control. They'd still be exciting as he'll to watch!

Definitely, the way I see it we won't have a true top line but three second lines.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Definitely, the way I see it we won't have a true top line but three second lines.

If we want a top line though, we can make one. Elias-Zajac-Kovy would work against other teams top lines and still be a potent.

#24 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

If we want a top line though, we can make one. Elias-Zajac-Kovy would work against other teams top lines and still be a potent.

Seems like all of those guys do not work well together at even strength though.

These pairs should remain together:

Lokti Kovy

Zajac Zubrus

Elias Henrique/Clarkson

Edited by Zubie#8, 04 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#25 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Glad to hear it.  LGD!

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#26 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

You have to figure Lokti enjoyed playing with Kovalchuk, and that Kovy at least made some push to bring him back.. Would be cool to have some Russian media at our games
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

This team needs to get less Russian/Sweedish...although I love what Loki brings.

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

This team needs to get less Russian/Sweedish...although I love what Loki brings.

Worked ok for the Red Wings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#29 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I don't understand why you dislike swedes..  They are usually stable and down to earth kinda people.. Plenty of ridiculously good players have come from there as well..

Aside from the Gretzky, Lemieux and Crosby I think the most exciting players to watch are often russians.. Malkin, Ovie, Kovy, Datsyuk, Bure, Fedorov, Kovalev, Larionov, Makarov.. the list goes on.

Posted Image

#30 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

I don't understand why you dislike swedes..  They are usually stable and down to earth kinda people.. Plenty of ridiculously good players have come from there as well..

Aside from the Gretzky, Lemieux and Crosby I think the most exciting players to watch are often russians.. Malkin, Ovie, Kovy, Datsyuk, Bure, Fedorov, Kovalev, Larionov, Makarov.. the list goes on.

All I'll say is that different countries appear to instill a different type of style of play in their players and might stress different kind of skill sets.  It also influences the type of competition a player grows up facing.  This tended to show early on where some Russian players appeared not to be used to the physicality of the NHL. 

Ultimately though, even if you buy into this, it's a minor concern, but not something you can discount completely.   

Edited by Daniel, 05 June 2013 - 11:54 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#31 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'm guessing in njdevs89's case, re: dislike of Swedes, it's probably because of Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson.  At least Bergfors played well enough for just long enough to get another NHL team to think they had a prospect coming to them.  Josefson looks like he might have an NHL career, even if it's not a glamorous one.  Tedenby pretty much looks like a bust.  Always sucks when the first-rounders don't pan out, but it happens.

re:  Loki, one year is fine as far as I'm concerned...I think the return on him can be just about anything.  Let me see what kind of player he can be over an 82-game NHL schedule...he's never played more than 39 in any given season. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#32 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm guessing in njdevs89's case, re: dislike of Swedes, it's probably because of Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson.  At least Bergfors played well enough for just long enough to get another NHL team to think they had a prospect coming to them.  Josefson looks like he might have an NHL career, even if it's not a glamorous one.  Tedenby pretty much looks like a bust.  Always sucks when the first-rounders don't pan out, but it happens.

I understand that we drafted 2 less-than-stellar Swedes, meaning Bergfors and Tedenby. I'm not calling Josefsen a bust, as being a regular NHL player out of the late 1st round is pretty much what's expected, so if he can manage to be a solid 2nd or 3rd line center, that's fine.

But that logic is kind of terrible. It'd be like giving up on drafting North Americans after we drafted Ward, Damphousse, Hale, and Foster in the late 90's - early 2000's.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

I understand that we drafted 2 less-than-stellar Swedes, meaning Bergfors and Tedenby. I'm not calling Josefsen a bust, as being a regular NHL player out of the late 1st round is pretty much what's expected, so if he can manage to be a solid 2nd or 3rd line center, that's fine.

But that logic is kind of terrible. It'd be like giving up on drafting North Americans after we drafted Ward, Damphousse, Hale, and Foster in the late 90's - early 2000's.

I'm not saying I agree with njdevs89's take...just presenting a theory of where his viewpoint originated. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#34 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm not saying I agree with njdevs89's take...just presenting a theory of where his viewpoint originated. 

Yeah, I got what you were saying. I was arguing against his thought process.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#35 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Im well aware...but we are not the red wings. If you look at the final 4 teams still in the playoffs their best players dont exactly play a sweedish brand of hockey. I have nothing against the way they play or anything like that.

#36 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't care if we have Saudi Arabians on our team, if they are good then draft them.

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 June 2013 - 04:56 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#37 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Maybe we should draft Swedish goalies instead of Swedish forwards :whistling:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#38 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

per Chere

Devils and Andrei Loktionov have agreed on a new contract. Lou Lamoriello: "He's not going to Russia. He's staying in New Jersey."

@TGfireandice
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Andrei Loktionov has not re-signed yet, but it's "imminent" that he will and he'll be back in NJ next year.

Edited by Zubie#8, 06 June 2013 - 05:21 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#39 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Glad to hear it. Solid potential player.

Makes the trade look like even more of a fleecing.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#40 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

hell yea, great news.  and yes, a great trade.

who knows, maybe Lou will surprise us with two years in this contract.  regardless, great news that he's staying

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users