Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

Bickel is Leino 2.0. PASS!

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

This would be great news if the Devils had a player who could remotely replace him, but they don't right now, and they don't have one in their system either. There's a limit to how much should be spent and how many years given, but the Devils can't just let him walk and replace him internally like they did with Brian Gionta.

You don't think Matteau can do more or less what Clarkson does, at least in a year or two?

Don't get me wrong, it would be good to have both, but I don't think losing Clarkson would be the end of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Bickel is Leino 2.0. PASS!

Agreed. He's getting overpaid, forget it.

Joel Ward had a real good playoffs too once. He actually had an ok year this year, but managed only 18 points in 2011-2012 after putting up 13 over 12 games in the playoffs the year before.

Edited by ATLL765, 13 June 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,432 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

You don't think Matteau can do more or less what Clarkson does, at least in a year or two? Don't get me wrong, it would be good to have both, but I don't think losing Clarkson would be the end of the world. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd be surprised if Matteau ever scored 30 goals in a season or ever averaged as many shots/game as David Clarkson did this year (or even close to it - I'd be over the moon if Matteau ever got to 3 shots/game).  And while Clarkson's shots aren't always the greatest, he was 4th in the NHL in shots on goal this year - that's pretty good.

Obviously losing Clarkson isn't the end of the world, but as I've pointed out when we did a different version of this thread in April, Clarkson's shot rate is the only one on NJ that was substantially above average.  Already the Devils as a team don't generate that many shots - it's going to be more difficult to replace his minutes than you might think.

Edited by Triumph, 13 June 2013 - 04:33 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'd be surprised if Matteau ever scored 30 goals in a season or ever averaged as many shots/game as David Clarkson did this year (or even close to it - I'd be over the moon if Matteau ever got to 3 shots/game). And while Clarkson's shots aren't always the greatest, he was 4th in the NHL in shots on goal this year - that's pretty good.

Obviously losing Clarkson isn't the end of the world, but as I've pointed out when we did a different version of this thread in April, Clarkson's shot rate is the only one on NJ that was substantially above average. Already the Devils as a team don't generate that many shots - it's going to be more difficult to replace his minutes than you might think.

I'd be surprised if Clarkson ever scored 30 goals in a season again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#26 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Id give Clarkson 7/25

Edited by SMantzas, 13 June 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#27 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yeah Bickell is wayyyy too unproven. All he has is a heavy shot.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,432 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'd be surprised if Clarkson ever scored 30 goals in a season again. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So would I, but I'd also be mildly surprised if his average goals over the next 4 years was less than 20 goals per 82 games.  If he can maintain a 3 shots/game average, he just has to shoot a little over 8% to do that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#29 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have a feeling the Devils will pay Clarkson some where between 3.8 to 4.2, maybe 5 to 7yrs.  I am hoping the Devils sign Elias 2yrs 5mil per yr.  Harrold is a good 7th d-man so maybe 1rs 1.2 mil?  All the other UFA dont really care if the walk or not.  I like Zubrus but couldn't some one younger do the same job that he does?

#30 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

I know he's getting older but I don't see Elias as a guy who is going to have a sudden drop off.   Considering the position Lou put himself in with next years draft pick and not yet adequately replacing Parise, he pretty much has to give Elias whatever he wants, unless he's being totally unreasonable.  Despite his agent, history says he will not be.  

This is somewhat contradictory to the above, but I don't want to see us go very high in dollars on Clarkson, which pretty much means letting him go.  There's just too many holes in his game.  You can list all the things he does well until you're blue in the face but when he's not on his game, there are few players that are a bigger black hole and more useless.  Given his limitations, I think Petey gives him way too much responsiblity so I just as soon let him walk.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users