44 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's a bit of an overstatement. At least he scores more than Tedenby and that's something we desperately need. Aside from this year and the times he's been injured, he's been a pretty steady performer offensively. Would you rather have Tedenby or Briere regularly? Briere's defense is crap though. There's no arguing that.

I'd be okay with him coming on board provided the price and years is right (1-2) and more as a 2nd or 3rd choice. I don't think 30-40 points out of him would be a stretch as long as he's relatively healthy. He's gonna miss a few games over the season, but if we could get 65-70 games out of him, he could be a good pickup. Again, its dependent on terms.

I'd give him 1 year at 4 million but I have a feeling someone's willing to go something like 3 years/9 million and let the chips fall where they may on that 3rd year.  The Devils can afford to do this to a degree but the trouble is they probably don't have better players coming in to shove him out.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'd rather give that money to Clowe than Danny B.

#23 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'd pass on this guy, he is so soft.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#24 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

I just listened to him (Danny) on HNIC radio.  He wants to stay in the "area"! He has three boys in school and hockey, and his kids will be part of the decision where to go. One of the interviewers suggested he stay in Pa and sign with pens.  Most all Flyer players all live in NJ and this clown thinks Philly/Pitts are not all that far apart.

Devils practice/games is 110 miles up the turnpike. 

Yes, Briere will be a devil! ......that is  Unless Lou really doesn't want him.(or he wants stupid $$)

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#25 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'd rather give that money to Clowe than Danny B.

Unless your bringing Thornton with him, Clowe is useless.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#26 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Fact that he wants to stay in the area is old news. Id take his experience and still can put points up. Id take him.

#27 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Unless Lou really doesn't want him.(or he wants stupid $$)

This is what it boils down to. However, the fact he wants to stay may get him to take less to stay local. I figured this as much as well. It's not a longshot he's a Devil next year. Even if we re-signed Clarkson, Elias, and Zubrus, it'd still be a possibility we sign Briere. Tedenby can be the 13th forward.

#28 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 8m
According to @DNFlyers, Ottawa, Montreal and New Jersey are three potential landing spots for Daniel Briere.

n2eg.jpg

#29 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Unless your bringing Thornton with him, Clowe is useless.

I don't recall which line he played on in SJ but not counting last year, he put up 22, 19, 17 and 24 goals his last full season. I think he could be a decent Clarkson replacement

#30 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I don't recall which line he played on in SJ but not counting last year, he put up 22, 19, 17 and 24 goals his last full season. I think he could be a decent Clarkson replacement

He's also good for a cheap shot or two by playing pucks from the bench two years in a row or being a complete tool.

Give me Briere who has actual leadership qualities and scoring consistency over him any day.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#31 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Would be a good pickup imo. Plays his best hockey in the playoffs.

Posted Image

#32 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

He's also good for a cheap shot or two by playing pucks from the bench two years in a row or being a complete tool.

Give me Briere who has actual leadership qualities and scoring consistency over him any day.

Briere is worse than Clowe for cheap shots. I agree with you otherwise, but being a class act is not why I'd take Briere over Clowe.

#33 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

You can't bring up cheap shots and leave out Briere's antics. Someone pull up that GIF of him trying to slash Carter going to the bench.

At least when Clowe's not scoring he's physical and not a complete liability

#34 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Briere is still a 40-mid 50s point scorer. He's been plagued by injuries. Plus the guy is clutch which is always great to have

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Clowe is a 34 year old player in a 30 year old body.  He'll be signed for 3+ years by somebody and I don't want it to be New Jersey.

Years are going to be the killer on these deals, not cap hit.

#36 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Clowe is a 34 year old player in a 30 year old body. He'll be signed for 3+ years by somebody and I don't want it to be New Jersey.

Years are going to be the killer on these deals, not cap hit.

Then you have to say the same thing about Clarkson who plays a similar style

#37 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Clarkson just had his best season from a territorial standpoint, Clowe just had arguably his worst.  I'm very wary of a player who a playoff team (one which I consider the smartest in the league) dumped for picks.  I'm even warier of a North American player who's big and has shown some offensive skill.  I will be furious if NJ signs him.

#38 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Clarkson just had his best season from a territorial standpoint, Clowe just had arguably his worst. I'm very wary of a player who a playoff team (one which I consider the smartest in the league) dumped for picks. I'm even warier of a North American player who's big and has shown some offensive skill. I will be furious if NJ signs him.

Clowe was also injured/saw limited time in SJ. Does behindthenet have his Rangers splits?

#39 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Why is that? I think he's making a point that Clowe is a declining talent. We all know Clarky isn't going to score 30 again, at least it's fairly unlikely, but while he may have peaked in that respect, I don't think his talent is declining quickly.

Edited by ATLL765, 20 June 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#40 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Why is that? I think he's making a point that Clowe is a declining talent. We all know Clarky isn't going to score 30 again, at least it's fairly unlikely, but while he may have peaked in that respect, I don't think his talent is declining quickly.

Players like Clarkson and Clowe typically don't have long shelf lives. In two years we might be saying the same things about Clarkson that we are about Clowe. Only difference is Clarkson will have tens of millions and several years left on his contract.

Retaining UFAs is a necessary evil, but the team paying almost always ends up getting bad value

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users