NHL Draft E-mail

Bartholomew Hunt

Don't apologize because you have a reasonable point of view. Comments # 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16 and 20 continue to pound into my mind that this website is 85% children and 15% knowledgeable realistic fans. When did i say season ticket holders shouldn't be allowed to the draft? Thank you for putting words in my mouth though.

Ask the STHs if they actually want their tickets to the draft, i'm sure a good amount of STHs don't care about going to the draft, especially on a weekend in the summer. Send every STH an email for a presale to the draft with a promo code to redeem their seats for free, and then, whats not taken, sell. All the STHs that want to go can go, and then fans have a fair chance at going. Also standing room only would be more than adequate. In 2 minutes i've come up with a more sensible way for everyone to be happy. If they did that and i didnt get tix, okay, it happens, but at least its better than filling out some contest entry.

The marketing department for this organization did a bad job with this event plain and simple. They got rewarded with having the event here, and then put zero thought into how to host it. And telling me as a consolation to come to the same half ass fan fest they have before every game is a embarrassing.

Not to nit pick but they can't sell standing room only tix due to a law in jersey.

I'm actually pretty shocked at the amount of interest in the Draft this year. Last year I can't tell you how many times I recieved emails from the Penguins offering free tickets for the draft. I was on the email list since I had bought tickets for a Devils at Pens game during a previous season.

The rep at the STH relocation event said the Devils have 11k STH's approxiamtely for the upcoming season so assuming the average account has three seats that's 3,666 accounts. I doubt every account submitted for draft tickets because that would equal to over 14K worth of seats if you gave every account holder four tickets. I wonder what the percentage of account holders actually put in a request for the draft and how many will actually show up.

I'm actually pretty shocked at the amount of interest in the Draft this year. Last year I can't tell you how many times I recieved emails from the Penguins offering free tickets for the draft. I was on the email list since I had bought tickets for a Devils at Pens game during a previous season.

The rep at the STH relocation event said the Devils have 11k STH's approxiamtely for the upcoming season so assuming the average account has three seats that's 3,666 accounts. I doubt every account submitted for draft tickets because that would equal to over 14K worth of seats if you gave every account holder four tickets. I wonder what the percentage of account holders actually put in a request for the draft and how many will actually show up.

Penguins fans have no interest in a draft where they're not picking 1st or 2nd overall

If you don't want to go to the fan fest, that's fine, don't go, doesn't mean that just because you don't like it others don't either, it's the organization adding a little extra something to the festivities. If you won the lottery, you're not complaining about anything right now, but since you lost you're being bitter and just nit picking on anything you can get your hands on.

Please, dazzle me with something that the organization could have done differently that's both legal and better for the fans, I can't think of anything, since you're so smart maybe you can.

You should probably go read ghdi's or my ideas for better ways to do this we threw out a lot whether in this thread or the other. I'd still be complaining even if I got a ticket because this is a joke whether you see it or not 

You should probably go read ghdi's or my ideas for better ways to do this we threw out a lot whether in this thread or the other. I'd still be complaining even if I got a ticket because this is a joke whether you see it or not 

I don't think he was talking about the ticketing procedure in this respect or at least I didnt interpret it this way aside from his assumption that winners wouldnt care. I didnt win, but I am going. His negative reaction was about the fan fest if I'm not mistaken. I agree with him that the fan fest is a great idea b/c the idea of attending a draft with nothing else going on is going to make the event extremely dull for a lot of people. 

The reason for my posts was b/c I was reading a lot of "this is the best they could've done" when that is far from the case and there are ways that they could've catered to the STHs and provide even a little bit more accessibility for others who want to attend. I also disagree with Bart on the idea of standing room only which would not at all be a comfortable experience.

Edit: He answered. 

Edited by ghdi

Sigh. Season ticket holders should get first dibs just not 4 or 6 tickets when regular people don't have a realistic shot at one. I'm not saying I have to go bc I deserve it, I just think regular people should've gotten a more fair shot.

And I know its not about whos a better fan, I was just there talking about colin saying sthers are more loyal which may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on these boards. I just wish regular people wouldve gotten a more realistic chance and sthers shouldn't have been eligible for the lottery

There are like 12,000 seats available for one day of the draft and close to 10,000 sth's. There's no way the Devils could keep everyone happy. The only thing they could have realistically done is limit the # of extras for sth's (say, allow everyone a max of how many seats are on your account).

If anything though, trying to give the sth's a few more seats helps get more Devils fans in the building as opposed to a lottery anyone can enter. And yes, sth's deserve special consideration, it's not good business to shaft your most financially loyal customers. There's no test the Devils can run to determine one's level of fanhood or who 'deserves' it more.

There's a big difference between a draft in a bigger arena over two days as opposed to one held in a single day. It's like a 15-20,000 ticket difference. If the draft was two days this year the market would be flooded with day two tickets but since its not, everyone and their grandmother is at war with each other on every board because there were never going to be enough tickets to satisfy everyone.

Every sth got two tickets irrespective to account size. Using your guesstimate it would be about 7300 tickets allocated to sth's before the extras were given out.

Edited by NJDevs4978

to be completely honest everyone is all bitchy and what not that they didn't get tickets to go.. but i don't even know if id really want to go i mean watching that sh!t on tv i find boring i would think its pretty boring to sit there all day long in person to watch.

I'd like to comment on the draft ticket situation.  I haven't seen it posted anywhere.  If it has I apologize.

It is all good the season ticket holders got taken care off.  However, as a partial ticket season ticket holder my option was limited to entering the general lottery.  I don't think they did it, but perhaps a limited number of tickets could have been set aside for a partial season lottery then the losers of that lottery get placed in the general lottery.  Giving the partial season ticket holder "two chances" to hit the lottery.

It's the draft so it's not that big of a deal.  I'm afraid they will do the same procedure for the Yankee stadium game, thus shutting out the partial season ticket holders.  (Getting full season tickets is not an option for me.)

Edit:  I know Yankee Stadium has more available seats I feel they'll give season ticket holders a chance to get more than their allotment of tickets before they consider the partial plan holders, if they consider them at all.

Edited by Rock

I'd like to comment on the draft ticket situation. I haven't seen it posted anywhere. If it has I apologize.

It is all good the season ticket holders got taken care off. However, as a partial ticket season ticket holder my option was limited to entering the general lottery. I don't think they did it, but perhaps a limited number of tickets could have been set aside for a partial season lottery then the losers of that lottery get placed in the general lottery. Giving the partial season ticket holder "two chances" to hit the lottery.

It's the draft so it's not that big of a deal. I'm afraid they will do the same procedure for the Yankee stadium game, thus shutting out the partial season ticket holders. (Getting full season tickets is not an option for me.)

Edit: I know Yankee Stadium has more available seats I feel they'll give season ticket holders a chance to get more than their allotment of tickets before they consider the partial plan holders, if they consider them at all.

From what I know about tickets for the outdoor games is only season ticket holders are guaranteed tickets. If any remain they then go to partial plan holders. I have no idea if that has ever happened. That has been normal procedure before people start bitching in a few months how its not fair that none were made to the public etc..

There are like 12,000 seats available for one day of the draft and close to 10,000 sth's. There's no way the Devils could keep everyone happy. The only thing they could have realistically done is limit the # of extras for sth's (say, allow everyone a max of how many seats are on your account).

If anything though, trying to give the sth's a few more seats helps get more Devils fans in the building as opposed to a lottery anyone can enter. And yes, sth's deserve special consideration, it's not good business to shaft your most financially loyal customers. There's no test the Devils can run to determine one's level of fanhood or who 'deserves' it more.

No one is arguing that they could've kept everyone happy. The argument is that there doesn't seem to have been much of an effort to alleviate potential high demand. If an STH had a choice between tickets and something else, not all STHs would have taken tickets because their interest would be tested by both options. If extras were not offered that saves another amount of tickets. The argument is that they did not do the best they could do here and I dont see how anyone can think that they did. Whether theres 2000 or 10000 tickets available, there was always going to be someone that was unable to get tickets. Same goes for if they went the Ticketmaster route or the lottery route. There was also always going to be a group of STHs that decided to go on Ebay or Craigslist and sell them at an exorbitant rate. I'm talking the ones selling them for for $100 per. I think they chose the method they did with best intentions, but it wasn't well thought out.

It's not about "deserve". STHs have tickets guaranteed as they should. One of the STH's I know through a friend of mine that we attend games with was at the diner with us this morning and told us he got 2 for his seats, 4 extras, plus his name was pulled in the lottery. I don't think they did it this way to slight anyway purposefully, I think they just went the easiest way. I also don't blame the people that took extra tickets. They had every right to when it was offered.

Edited by ghdi

Ask the STHs if they actually want their tickets to the draft, i'm sure a good amount of STHs don't care about going to the draft, especially on a weekend in the summer. Send every STH an email for a presale to the draft with a promo code to redeem their seats for free, and then, whats not taken, sell. All the STHs that want to go can go, and then fans have a fair chance at going.

Wait.. But that's what happened. We got an email, we had to CLAIM/reply for our tickets, and if we didn't, we didn't get tickets. They weren't mailed out automatically to us STH... I think that's a major source of confusion among everyone on this board. Season Ticket Holders HAD to claim tickets if they wanted to go. I'm sure those who didn't realistically think they could make it didn't claim tickets. And if you're saying STH people who might not go claimed them anyway, then that can be said about anyone claiming free tickets to anything, STH or not. Free tickets available for public dispersal will ALWAYS have that issue.

Ask the STHs if they actually want their tickets to the draft, i'm sure a good amount of STHs don't care about going to the draft, especially on a weekend in the summer.

Then they wouldn't claim them..... ? STHs have to want their tickets in order to claim them. Like I said in the reply above, we weren't mailed Draft tickets automatically. You had to RSVP/claim the ticket. People who weren't interested or didn't think they could make it probably didn't claim. And if you're trying to say they did, regardless of whether or not they will go, that's an issue with ALL free RSVP'ing anywhere, whether season ticket holder or anyone. I work in nightlife and if there are 800 people in a club that was free before midnight if you were on the email-guestlist, chances are the a mount of names they received for the guestlist were probably 2400. No matter what, whether you're a random person or member (or season ticket holder in this case), when a ticket is free to claim, there's always that element of people emailing "just because they can". Simple fact is the Devils had to offer the first option to STH. But saying they're more inclined than someone else to claim tickets and not go, that's wrong.

Edited by DJ Eco

Colin when you say stuff like STHers are the most loyal, it really makes you look like a dope. Just bc you can afford season tix doesn't make you a better fan.

Other teams fans are winning lotto tix so devil's fans are being shut out like ir or not. And I a agree with ghdi in the other thread let the draft be a reward for sthers not 4 tix for every sth who wants them.

Dude by loyal I mean STH by and large make the largest commitment, both time and money, to the team.. Has nothing to do with passion or love of the team, I've never made judgements like that.. Now if that bothers you still, write the team a letter because in nearly every email they send me they regard STH as their most loyal fans :P Edited by Colin226

This topic makes me laugh because it is usually STHs who make childish statements implying that they are owed something. In this case, it's others complaining that STHs got a benefit. Full disclosure: my family has had season tickets since day 1 and I am going to the draft. If it hasn't been pointed out yet, STHs were promised anywhere from 1 to 6 perks for renewing early in March 2012. Early access to the equipment sale, skate with the team, barbecue, open practice, etc. never happened and we got squat for giving the team a several thousand dollar loan for 10 months. We got one perk where Marshall, Dowd and Driver answered questions about the trap for an hour. Draft tickets was the least the team could do for the folks who keep the lights on. It sucks that people are hawking tickets for big bucks. If you really want to go, stop blaming the team and the STHs and find a way to be there. I have never seen a bigger group of cannibals than Devils fans. I love to say the only people who hate Devils fans more than Rangers fans and Flyers fans are other Devils fans. If you're lucky enough to be going, make a day out of it and remind folks from around the league how great we can be when given the opportunity.

Also, if fan seating is in fact limited to the upper bowl, the numbers flying around on here are way off. The upper level has at most, 9,000 seats and I would bet anything that a good portion of those (2-3K) won't be used because they are behind the stage. Has there been anything to substantiate the 12K number?