22 replies to this topic

#1 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

What a joke. I'd be in jail if this was around a couple of years ago. Anyone who's played a sport knows trash talk is such a huge part of the game.

#2 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

The pussification of America continues...

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#3 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

i dont know how you can try to enforce something ridiculous like this..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#4 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

*sigh*....but "we're all winners when we play...."

I guess the next step is to stop keeping score right??

Maybe a public apology for being better then the other guy too......

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#5 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

*sigh*....but "we're all winners when we play...."

I guess the next step is to stop keeping score right??

Maybe a public apology for being better then the other guy too......

lol. We'd like to accept this trophy of victory and hand it over to the losing team for being good sports about everything!

Devils.

#6 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,130 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Disgraceful. Trash talking is part of sports. What a joke.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#7 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

I hate what we're becoming (we've become).

No dodgeball, no trash talk, participation trophies for everyone. Whatever happened to "stick and stones..." I can't wait to raise a child in this nanny atmosphere.

As Reginald "Reg" Dunlop said: "What are you running here, a goddamn dance floor?"

#8 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I hate what we're becoming (we've become).

No dodgeball, no trash talk, participation trophies for everyone. Whatever happened to "stick and stones..." I can't wait to raise a child in this nanny atmosphere.

As Reginald "Reg" Dunlop said: "What are you running here, a goddamn dance floor?"

110% agree with you...I have taught my kids to question everything and stay true to your convictions. This "PC" atmosphere is a joke.

I need to stop before I go on and on about this!

Lemmings....

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin, 24 June 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Just another example of people needing to stop themselves when they say "there ought to be a law."

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

perfect example with whats wrong with us as Americans.  Raising kids who aim to achieve a participation trophy has brought us to this point.

people consider themselves, and their kids, as self-entitled... what a shame man

#11 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

perfect example with whats wrong with us as Americans.  Raising kids who aim to achieve a participation trophy has brought us to this point.

people consider themselves, and their kids, as self-entitled... what a shame man

That's not the point, whatsoever. Being a student-athlete is an extention of the classroom and a representation of your school. One of the main codes of conduct of being a student/athlete is sportsmanship. As a matter of fact, sportsmanship is spelled out right in the NJSIAA handbook, so this really shouldn't be news. The problem is that coaches and schools have let these smart mouth kids get out of hand with behavior and it's created a newsworthy event that shouldn't be. IMO, there are too many coaches who aren't preaching discipline and conduct and too many arrogant smart mouthed kids with parents who are just as bad encouraging it and acting with the "sense of entitlement" you speak of.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#12 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

That's not the point, whatsoever. Being a student-athlete is an extention of the classroom and a representation of your school. One of the main codes of conduct of being a student/athlete is sportsmanship. As a matter of fact, sportsmanship is spelled out right in the NJSIAA handbook, so this really shouldn't be news. The problem is that coaches and schools have let these smart mouth kids get out of hand with behavior and it's created a newsworthy event that shouldn't be. IMO, there are too many coaches who aren't preaching discipline and conduct and too many arrogant smart mouthed kids with parents who are just as bad encouraging it and acting with the "sense of entitlement" you speak of.

I wouldn't AT ALL be surprised if this was fueled by hurting kids' feelings just as much as it is with what you stated

#13 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

:thumbsup:  

Edited by TheRedStorm, 02 September 2013 - 02:20 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#14 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Disgraceful. Trash talking is part of sports. What a joke.

That's absurd. Trash talking is not some time-honored tradition. It is completely frivolous to the competition of sports. It's the realm of a bunch of self-indulgent jerks with ego problems.

I do agree though with whoever said that this will be hell to officiate. Games could get bogged down with finger-pointing.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#15 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

Does this law even have any teeth or was it just passed so they can say they tried to do something?  What is the punishment for trash talking and how is this going to be enforced?

Edited by devilsfan26, 25 June 2013 - 12:40 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#16 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Does this law even have any teeth or was it just passed so they can say they tried to do something?  What is the punishment for trash talking and how is this going to be enforced?

Ref: Did I just hear you hurl a derogation towards a member of the opposing team?

Player 1: No, I said that to my teammate who totally missed that wide open net!

Player 2: No way! He said that to me! He also said this, that and the other thing!

Ref: Oh he did, did he?! You! Box!! 2 minutes unsportsmanlike! And an automatic suspension hearing with the insult and profanity police!!

That how I picture it going  :rolleyes:

#17 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Looks like it's time for all H.S.'s to break out the participation trophies/medals as well.

n2eg.jpg

#18 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

I don't see the no-trashtalking rule as a symptom of the wussification of America; I see it as a symptom of growing coarseness and indecency, and increased permissiveness from coaches and parents for allowing it. High school kids shouldn't be trashtalking, and we shouldn't need a rule to realize that.

The participation trophy bugs me, by the way. I detest it.

#19 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

i dont know how you can try to enforce something ridiculous like this..

Completely Bullsh!t calls will be made, that's how, like getting "flagged" for pointing to God, or putting your hands up in celebration as you run into the endzone for "taunting"

The problem is that coaches and schools have let these smart mouth kids get out of hand with behavior and it's created a newsworthy event that shouldn't be. IMO, there are too many coaches who aren't preaching discipline and conduct and too many arrogant smart mouthed kids with parents who are just as bad encouraging it and acting with the "sense of entitlement" you speak of.

You don't penalize trash talking in the game. It is the coaches place to punish it with benchings and such, not a refs job to penalize a team. sh!tty attitudes invoke Karma, and she's a real bitch. It's what makes getting over on a loud mouthed taunting prick ALL the better and satisfying. So if the "law" is punished outside the actual game, I'm all for it. But if it leads to penalties during a game, then that is horsesh!t.

That's absurd. Trash talking is not some time-honored tradition. It is completely frivolous to the competition of sports. It's the realm of a bunch of self-indulgent jerks with ego problems.

I do agree though with whoever said that this will be hell to officiate. Games could get bogged down with finger-pointing.

Finger pointing is a violation mister!!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#20 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I highly doubt the punishment is an in-game penalty.  It would be ridiculous for them to write up a new rule for every single sport, and in something like baseball or tennis where there are no powerplays or free throws how can you create such a penalty?

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users