22 replies to this topic

#21 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,847 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

I don't see the no-trashtalking rule as a symptom of the wussification of America; I see it as a symptom of growing coarseness and indecency, and increased permissiveness from coaches and parents for allowing it. High school kids shouldn't be trashtalking, and we shouldn't need a rule to realize that.

The participation trophy bugs me, by the way. I detest it.

Kids take it too far today. I don't necessarily agree with banning it. It's more a symptom of what's wrong with society. Look at the support this topic gets. It's one thing when pros do it. Sportsmanship is an important part of competitive sports. I'm proud that I get to see it during the winter when I work high school basketball games.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#22 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

If current taunting penalties that are in place already were enforced properly, this would be a non issue

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

If current taunting penalties that are in place already were enforced properly, this would be a non issue

Exactly. There's rules on the books in every sport about being unsportsmanlike or whatever. No need to ban an integral part of sports and being male: Ball busting and trash talking. Now, if a ref happens to overhear racist/bigoted remarks or actually threatening remarks, that's a whole other thing as you cannot do anything that could remotely be considered condoning such things, but regular old trash talking is ok in my book.

Kids take it too far today. I don't necessarily agree with banning it. It's more a symptom of what's wrong with society. Look at the support this topic gets. It's one thing when pros do it. Sportsmanship is an important part of competitive sports. I'm proud that I get to see it during the winter when I work high school basketball games.

Kids don't take it too far today. Kids are kids and always have been. I don't care if you were born in 1910 or 2010. I do not for one second buy the nostalgic 'back in my day' crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users