49 replies to this topic

#21 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Makes you wonder if Lou has a statistician that gets this in-depth. The real headache comes when you have to take that and assign a value to it over a number of years based on how you expect it to go in the future. I don't envy having to make the call on Clarkson

Personally, I doubt it because it's just quantifying what you already know. 

When statistics statistically bring you no closer to final decision - it's not worth the money to pay a dude to take all that time drafting them up.  This info is really cool, but as Tri said not enough to really base anything on.  But you may well have some nutjob on your staff who loves this kind of thing and can find time to do it in addition to his real job, as Tri does, then it's nice to get for free.

I'm here for the party

#22 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Stats in hockey tell a tiny portion of a players value.    Does he help make the team better:  Yes.

Which is why he will be one of the most sought after players.

The downside is his timing.  A majority, if not all teams, have to adjust to a lower cap space and will have problems giving him what he could have gotten a year ago.  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#23 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

I don't have the stats, but I would be surprised if Clarkson wan't 1 or 2 on the team in hits. He scores, he's an annoyance to the opposition, and he hits people hard and often. He also seems like a decent guy. I don't think you let a guy like that walk away for nothing, especially if you've got no one with that combination of skills.

what ive been saying.. everyone is on his ass for certain things ... but he wasnt the only one who hit a slump the entire team went threw that drought together and he is no top 6 forward nor has he ever been..if he comes back i think that is going to say alot about the type of guy he is and what this team means to him, because we all know someone somewhere else is almost definently going to offer him a bigger check
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#24 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

what ive been saying.. everyone is on his ass for certain things ... but he wasnt the only one who hit a slump the entire team went threw that drought together and he is no top 6 forward nor has he ever been..if he comes back i think that is going to say alot about the type of guy he is and what this team means to him, because we all know someone somewhere else is almost definently going to offer him a bigger check

do you really wanna pay the 5-6m for a guy you admit isn't an adequate top 6 forward? I don't. I could care less about the hits, you can get guys who put up more than a career high of 45 points for that money 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

i didnt say anything about wanting him back for 5-6m... just said i wanted him back for the character that he is and what he brings.. obviously he is worth what hes worth and what someone gives can be a different story
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#26 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Todd Cordell @ToddCordell 8m

Lou Lamoriello and David Clarkson's agent, Pat Morris, talked extension yesterday but no offer was made, as per @Real_ESPNLeBrun. #NJDevils

Edited by Zubie#8, 26 June 2013 - 01:43 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#27 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Todd Cordell @ToddCordell 8m

Lou Lamoriello and David Clarkson's agent, Pat Morris, talked extension yesterday but no offer was made, as per @Real_ESPNLeBrun. #NJDevils

Good.  Lou needs to sign him and Elias if this team is to remotely competitive.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#28 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Good.  Lou needs to sign him and Elias if this team is to remotely competitive.

Would be nice to bring in one more guy, like a Weiss or Stalberg.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Would be nice to bring in one more guy, like a Weiss or Stalberg.

There's a good chance Lu will but expect like Darcy Hordichuk level of talent.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#30 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

There's a good chance Lu will but expect like Darcy Hordichuk level of talent.

Tampa is looking to trade Ryan Malone, would be a nice third line winger to replace Poni, his cap hit is at 4.5 but his salary will be 2.5 million. Devils will not be near the cap and 2.5 in real cash is not that bad for him.

Edited by Zubie#8, 26 June 2013 - 01:53 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#31 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 8m

finally atleast were hearing of something going on with him
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#32 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ill always have a soft spot for Clarkson who invited my son for a picture and was talking to him for a few minutes about hockey.  My son was 4 at the time!  Really cool!

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#33 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Ill always have a soft spot for Clarkson who invited my son for a picture and was talking to him for a few minutes about hockey.  My son was 4 at the time!  Really cool!

Clarkson has always been the guy who will sign everyone's stuff, take a picture, actually say something to you instead of signing your whatever and bolting. He's always seemed like a real nice guy.

#34 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Tampa is looking to trade Ryan Malone, would be a nice third line winger to replace Poni, his cap hit is at 4.5 but his salary will be 2.5 million. Devils will not be near the cap and 2.5 in real cash is not that bad for him.

I would take Malone even if we re-signed Poni.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#35 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

to me eventhough we keep on seeing reports back and forth from Detroit, Philly, Montreal etc etc all interested in Clarkson. I really think that for him it will come down to NJ or Toronto.

if i'm Clarkson its a damn thought call to make if the offers are similar. But i'd be leaning a liiiittle toward Toronto i think. Home town, upcoming good young team at every position, he has his clarkson's kid foundation in Toronto, if you look on paper the future looks brighter there.

But you can never count NJ out either, Clarkson seems to have some loyalty in him and being undrafted he wouldnt even be in the NHL without Lou and he knows the guys and the organization city and i think he likes it there. but the future is so uncertain on many levels, if you sign long term you want to look at those things too.

www.SterioDesign.com

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Toronto's future really doesn't look brighter than here, but that's because their present is so bad.   They're not an old team, they're just not a good team, and they need serious help at everywhere that isn't goaltender.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Toronto's future really doesn't look brighter than here, but that's because their present is so bad.   They're not an old team, they're just not a good team, and they need serious help at everywhere that isn't goaltender.

Reimer's pretty much all they've got and they're trying to get rid of him :P While also trying to run Kessel and Phaneuf out of town while resigning Colton Orr and letting MacArthur go. Clarkson can have fun there

#38 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Reimer's pretty much all they've got and they're trying to get rid of him :P While also trying to run Kessel and Phaneuf out of town while resigning Colton Orr and letting MacArthur go. Clarkson can have fun there

They just got Bernier the other day, lets see if he lives up to the hype.

Edited by Zubie#8, 26 June 2013 - 03:33 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#39 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

They just got Bernier the other day, lets see if he lives up to the hype.

Even if he does, he's probably not better than Reimer was last year, and that's the problem w/ trading for him

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

to me eventhough we keep on seeing reports back and forth from Detroit, Philly, Montreal etc etc all interested in Clarkson. I really think that for him it will come down to NJ or Toronto.

if i'm Clarkson its a damn thought call to make if the offers are similar. But i'd be leaning a liiiittle toward Toronto i think. Home town, upcoming good young team at every position, he has his clarkson's kid foundation in Toronto, if you look on paper the future looks brighter there.

But you can never count NJ out either, Clarkson seems to have some loyalty in him and being undrafted he wouldnt even be in the NHL without Lou and he knows the guys and the organization city and i think he likes it there. but the future is so uncertain on many levels, if you sign long term you want to look at those things too.

See... now this is my usual logic with a Rafalski or Parise situation - the playing at home thing.

In this case I think it's flip-flopped.  This is the team that brought Clarkson to the NHL.  There is his geographic home, and then there is his HOME.  For Clarkson Home is where the hockey is. Hockey being where the geographic home is? That isn't going to be that big of a pull.  You added in the last paragraph as insurance on your call "well see, I knew it was possible" ... but that's not insurance -- that is the main meat of his decision right there.  Do you understand what I mean?

Edited by Pepperkorn, 27 June 2013 - 09:12 AM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users