89 replies to this topic

#41 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

The deal is short enough as to where in year 3, even if DZ isn't as useful a player anymore - he could be moved. He has a great reputation around the league. 3M isn't a big sum even if he's dealt before year 3 begins.

#42 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'll also add that he isn't that old.  He'll be 37 by the SCF in the last year of the deal.  There's no reason to believe he can't be at least a useful player at that point.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

The deal is short enough as to where in year 3, even if DZ isn't as useful a player anymore - he could be moved. He has a great reputation around the league. 3M isn't a big sum even if he's dealt before year 3 begins.

I'm assuming this deal will come with an NTC.  And again, the usual caveats apply - while 35+ isn't a huge deal anymore, if he's doing fine, you won't want to trade him, if he's not, you will, and the market for him will be much smaller.

I'll also add that he isn't that old.  He'll be 37 by the SCF in the last year of the deal.  There's no reason to believe he can't be at least a useful player at that point.

He turns 38 in June 2016.  Aging curves aren't that hard - the better a player is, the longer it takes for him to become a non-factor.  Zubrus was a slightly above-average forward, but he's coming off his worst shots/60 campaign (granted, a shortened season both by injury and lockout), and the comparables to him don't look that great at age 37.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

MSWEET must be estatic that his favorite customer won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I kinda knew it already ;-)... he ain't leaving the best camera store in the country for even more money on another team

..though we do ship

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#45 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Agreed... His play style doesn't rely on speed, mostly his size and poise. His game is very localized, along the boards, and I see that style of play as one of the few that doesn't downgrade too harshly or quickly with age.

#46 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Debbie Downer

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Some Devils fans like yourself I guess drink the kool-aid. The hockey I know is about making the playoffs and not always losing in round one. Some fans like yourself I guess are satisfied with less. Winning is everything in my world.

#47 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Some Devils fans like yourself I guess drink the kool-aid. The hockey I know is about making the playoffs and not always losing in round one. Some fans like yourself I guess are satisfied with less. Winning is everything in my world.

They were in the finals a year ago.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#48 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

In my opinion, the deal that was of the lowest priority. but nevertheless, I'm happy to have Zubes back, but not dealing with the reality of Clarky leaving well
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#49 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

THE DEAL IS NOT DONE YET AND THE SOURCE FOR GULITTI WAS SOMEONE TWITTER

I have confirmed this directly

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#50 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

They were in the finals a year ago.

They missed playoffs two out of three years.

#51 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

It is amazing how you got all that ^^

Debbie Downer

from this ^^^.

YOU ARE A PSYCHIC!!!!

Posted Image

#52 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

It's never about the past it's about today for the Devils that means 2013/14 season. For the ticket prices they charge they need to put a competitive product on the ice not like last season's product.

#53 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

It is amazing how you got all that ^^

from this ^^^.

YOU ARE A PSYCHIC!!!!

You're a genius to figure that out.

#54 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

THE DEAL IS NOT DONE YET AND THE SOURCE FOR GULITTI WAS SOMEONE TWITTER

I have confirmed this directly

I'd be very surprised if TG ran with a story from a twitter source.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#55 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

That's only $.85 mil a year less than Kunitz resigned for... wow.

I like Zubrus but thats just way too much.

Edited by Default, 27 June 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#56 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

That's only $.85 mil a year less than Kunitz resigned for... wow.

I like Zubrus but thats just way too much.

Taken a different way, Kunitz is getting almost 30% more a season. That's a decent sized difference.

Kunitz is fine but I think his numbers get pumped up a fair amount by playing with guys that open up space for him.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#57 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Taken a different way, Kunitz is getting almost 30% more a season. That's a decent sized difference.

Kunitz is fine but I think his numbers get pumped up a fair amount by playing with guys that open up space for him.

everyone says that but i watched him play a lot and he's getting a good amount of goals by himself 

www.SterioDesign.com

#58 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

He's been playing since he's 18.    He's got alot of miles.    

#59 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

He's been playing since he's 18.    He's got alot of miles.    

They've all been playing since they're 8.  It's toughest to succeed in the NHL, but you're skating just as hard and taking the same kind of beating in the AHL, the Swedish elite league, the KHL, or wherever, at least if we're talking about mileage.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#60 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

I kinda knew it already ;-)... he ain't leaving the best camera store in the country for even more money on another team

..though we do ship

ALARM ALARM -- Lou now knows he can strong arm Zubes!!!!  Expect this deal to fall through and less generous terms be reached!!

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users