341 replies to this topic

#201 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm an idiot who can't figure out how to embed video, but here's video I shot of our pre-pick montage, followed by the trade announcement. My section was actually pretty mixed about it based on the reaction.

http://youtu.be/aINjtKcSIFc

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#202 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

No, that's ridiculous.  Brodeur had 3 great years.  He had one where he spent most of it injured, one bad one, and one subpar one.  I bet he was worth $9M+ in each of the first two years.  I also bet that he was worth around $2M in each of the last two.  I agree that it could've turned out a hell of a lot worse than it did, but without this Schneider deal (in effect without finishing so poorly last year that NJ could afford to make this deal), we'd still be looking at least one more year with him.

In bold:  what is?  Not sure what you're referring to.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#203 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

i went downtown last night and i was wearing my devils hat as usual. few canucks fans that i didnt even knew came to talk to me and they we're DEVASTATED. lol oh man what a steal

www.SterioDesign.com

#204 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Great move Lou. I hope Cory beats out Marty for the starting role this coming season.And he is cheaper than Marty so maybe Marty won't get another year. We now have solid goal tending with a decent defense so lets get some offense for this coming season. This was a terrific move.

How the hell can you say that and still consider yourself a fan? Look, I'm realistic, I know Marty's ride is coming to an end, but to hope that he gets beaten out? Why? Just hope for the best situation in net if you're not going to be all on board for Marty.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#205 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,738 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

How the hell can you say that and still consider yourself a fan? Look, I'm realistic, I know Marty's ride is coming to an end, but to hope that he gets beaten out? Why? Just hope for the best situation in net if you're not going to be all on board for Marty.

I hope it brings a little fire out of Marty so he goes out on a good season.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#206 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

definently DO NOT hope that marty gets "beaten out" for his number one spot.. thats a jerk off comment and a half right there.. if youve been a fan here for even the past ten years i really dont know how you could even say something like this.. thats the problem here people are so quick to forget what some of these players have done for this organization.. especially marty hes a lifer here and he became the best ever to play the game in net. People are un real. It will be a sad day when marty takes his step back.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#207 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think with fewer games to play Marty will be sharper. I think with Schneider having a good year the team will also be upbeat. Hopefully Marty will really enjoy the season, and view it as a chance to go on a 'Farewell Tour' as it were, and just enjoy himself. But I am definitely interested in seeing Schneider play 40+ games as well. It looks like he's played more than 43 games in a season exactly once, for the Manitoba Moose. I don't see anything in his history that makes me think he can play 60 games a season year in/year out yet. Maybe he can, but who knows.

Edited by jim777, 01 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#208 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Do not feed the trolls...

#209 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I hope it brings a little fire out of Marty so he goes out on a good season.

I hope so too, but IMO not to say LD's the genius of goalies, but Schneider has to go in as the #1 just based on the last couple years overall

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#210 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think the ideal situation now is they split it 50/50 and the extra rest allows Marty to up his game a bit.. Seems to me like Schneider is the better goaltender at the moment, but Marty is impossible to "bench" because of who he is and what he's accomplished.

Posted Image

#211 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think the ideal situation is Marty teaches Cory everything he knows Cory learns and retains it and even builds upon it and Marty sees it's time to move on, mission accomplished and we septpeat Cup wins until the league institutes a new rule akin to term limits on how many times a team can win the Stanley Cup in a decade.

I'm here for the party

#212 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Sounds to me that while Schneider didn't want to be a part time backup behind a guy with 9 more years on his contract, he is THRILLED with the idea of coming here and playing with Marty. It's a completely different situation.There really shouldn't be anything but smiles between the two of them. Marty will be better with a lighter load, Corey's load will go up until he's eventually The Man, and even if he's 50/50 for two years there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and a goal tending legacy in NJ like only a few teams in hockey history have ever had a claim to. He knows he isn't going to claim "No. 1" with Marty here, and I seriously doubt he's a big enough @sshole to think that. He has shown nothing but respect for Marty and it certainly seems sincere to me. 

The only possible issue I see (and it's the last time I'll say it) is whether Corey can play 60 or 65 games a season for the next 7 years or so. If so, we're golden :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#213 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I hope Schneider starts more than Marty. Marty isn't good enough to start anymore, plain and simple. Schneider is light years better than brodeur.

#214 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

THIS is Cory!  My dog -- maybe he'll start posting.  He's pretty stupid though...

MI48715889706-1-x.jpg

I'm here for the party

#215 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

I hope Schneider starts more than Marty. Marty isn't good enough to start anymore, plain and simple. Schneider is light years better than brodeur.

Yup I'm with you on this. It's not even comparable bt them at this point. It's the equivalent of starting Biron over Lundqvist strictly in terms of ability

#216 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,738 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Marty will get the majority of starts when both are healthy. Schneider will get plenty of games between his regular starts and Marty getting more and more nagging injuries these days. It's going to be a transition period at first.

Keep in mind, Marty and moose are loved in the locker room. Let Schneider ease his way onto the team and into the starting role as the season goes on.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#217 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Reaction video to the trade announcement:

I know I went nuts lol

so i'm the brilliant man who dropped the F bomb on national tv at the end hahahaha. i take a bow. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#218 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Marty will get the majority of starts when both are healthy. Schneider will get plenty of games between his regular starts and Marty getting more and more nagging injuries these days. It's going to be a transition period at first.

Keep in mind, Marty and moose are loved in the locker room. Let Schneider ease his way onto the team and into the starting role as the season goes on.

By majority I hoep you mean 51-49 at the most because it's really an egregious mistake to play Brodeur over him at this point. I know what Marty means to the team and I don't think it's realistic to make him a Kevin Weekes level of play backup, but Schneider is clearly the better player and I think he has to play a lot. If he doesn't, he's not gonna re-sign here before UFA esp if Brodeur doesn't retire after this year. But no point in worrying about that now when we pretty much have no idea at this point how it's gonna turn out :P

#219 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,738 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

By majority I hoep you mean 51-49 at the most because it's really an egregious mistake to play Brodeur over him at this point. I know what Marty means to the team and I don't think it's realistic to make him a Kevin Weekes level of play backup, but Schneider is clearly the better player and I think he has to play a lot. If he doesn't, he's not gonna re-sign here before UFA esp if Brodeur doesn't retire after this year. But no point in worrying about that now when we pretty much have no idea at this point how it's gonna turn out :P

For the sake of everyone involved, it will be a gradual process. They won't throw Schneider into an uncomfortable position, and they won't just put Marty on the bench. Schneider may well be the starter by the end of the season, but he won't be in October. Besides, the kid is eager to to earn his spot. Let him earn it.

#220 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

For the sake of everyone involved, it will be a gradual process. They won't throw Schneider into an uncomfortable position, and they won't just put Marty on the bench. Schneider may well be the starter by the end of the season, but he won't be in October. Besides, the kid is eager to to earn his spot. Let him earn it.

And you're probably right in that Marty will end up playing the majority. But, that's the problem. There's no reason Marty should be starting anymore. He isnt owed anything, nor is he entitled to start. He won his little cover vote, Lou even drafted his son out of respect. Hell, Marty's been starting games he shouldn't have been playing the past few years because of his legacy alone. We don't owe him anything else. He's 41 and should not be starting most games over an elite goalie. It's just silly.

Edited by devlman, 01 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users