341 replies to this topic

#221 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

For the sake of everyone involved, it will be a gradual process. They won't throw Schneider into an uncomfortable position, and they won't just put Marty on the bench. Schneider may well be the starter by the end of the season, but he won't be in October. Besides, the kid is eager to to earn his spot. Let him earn it.

Schneider probably already thinks he earned his chance though (and he's right). The highest SV% (min 100 games) over the last 3 years should earn you that over the team with arguably the wrost starting goalie in the league. If Schneider plays fewer than Marty, it would be ridiculous

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#222 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I hope the work load will be split 50/50 but with how often Marty been hurt the last couple of yrs I would not be surprised if Schneider plays over 50 something games

#223 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

One more from Lamoriello. Said he doesn't think team or Schneider are thinking he'll be in NJ for just two years (what's left on contract).

LL is confident Schneider will remain after his two years.Its good to see LL getting the job done!

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#224 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

And you're probably right in that Marty will end up playing the majority. But, that's the problem. There's no reason Marty should be starting anymore. He isnt owed anything, nor is he entitled to start. He won his little cover vote, Lou even drafted his son out of respect. Hell, Marty's been starting games he shouldn't have been playing the past few years because of his legacy alone. We don't owe him anything else. He's 41 and should not be starting most games over an elite goalie. It's just silly.

You have a team of 23 people who look to Marty as the leader. If you unceremoniously dump Marty on the bench and hand the job to Schneider without him playing a few games, you risk animosity building. They already have a well respected player in Moose being shown the door. You have to let him come in and earn that spot from Marty. And Marty is owed the chance to defend his spot.

We all know Schneider is better at this point. That will become clearer as the season goes on.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#225 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Schneider probably already thinks he earned his chance though (and he's right). The highest SV% (min 100 games) over the last 3 years should earn you that over the team with arguably the wrost starting goalie in the league. If Schneider plays fewer than Marty, it would be ridiculous

I'm guessing when they come out of preseason, Schneider and Brodeur are either coming out on equal footing, or Marty will be slightly ahead (due to his time here more than anything else).

Over the first 15-20 games, it won't surprise me if Marty gets a little more of the starts, but I don't think he gets much of a leash beyond that.  If he's around his aggregate .905 save% of the last three years and not looking good, and Schneider is around .925 or so and is playing as well as we all hope he can, Schneider will get more of the starts very quickly.  I don't think the Devils will fvck around with this one...they will do their best to be respectful to Marty and will give him a shot to get a slight majority of the playing time, but if he shows that he's not up to it, he's starting no more than 30 games or so.  The Devils will have their share of "now" guys on the team that can't afford to see an all-time declining great get victory tour starts at their expense. 

DD56's post pretty much says it all...anyone who thinks the Devils will just plunk Marty on the back-up pine with zero transition clearly doesn't realize how these things need to be handled, for everyone involved. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#226 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

One more from Lamoriello. Said he doesn't think team or Schneider are thinking he'll be in NJ for just two years (what's left on contract).

LL is confident Schneider will remain after his two years.Its good to see LL getting the job done!

and Schneider quoted as saying the same.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#227 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

There won't be 0 transition, but if Brodeur is weak out of the blocks once again, I don't think there will be much hesitation.  It's an Olympic year so there will probably be a ton of back to backs - basically neither guy should start both of those.

And yeah, I could see NJ offering Schneider an 8 year deal if this is a good season for him.

Edited by Triumph, 01 July 2013 - 03:25 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#228 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

There won't be 0 transition, but if Brodeur is weak out of the blocks once again, I don't think there will be much hesitation.  It's an Olympic year so there will probably be a ton of back to backs - basically neither guy should start both of those.

And yeah, I could see NJ offering Schneider an 8 year deal if this is a good season for him.

I think everyone agrees on this.  If Marty's first six or seven games see him stopping 87%-88% of the shots coming his way, I think the transition begins right then.

And yeah, good year for Schneider and him being happy in NJ = 8 year deal, more than likely. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 July 2013 - 03:30 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#229 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

I have no problem w/ a 50/50 split this year, But Marty has to be on his retirement tour, I donot want him back for anothe 2 years after this, he was quoted as saying he's not sure if this is it or not...

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#230 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm okay with this year being 50-50, with the understanding that this is the last year that Marty can sniff #1A/B duty.

If he wants to keep playing as a backup (assuming he's capable), then hang onto him for a year or two more until one of the prospects are ready to go.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#231 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

The highest SV% (min 100 games) over the last 3 years should earn you that over the team with arguably the wrost starting goalie in the league. If Schneider plays fewer than Marty, it would be ridiculous

Schneider only gets over 100 games career by adding in his playoff appearances. Regular season only he hasn't played 100 NHL games yet.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#232 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have no problem w/ a 50/50 split this year, But Marty has to be on his retirement tour, I donot want him back for anothe 2 years after this, he was quoted as saying he's not sure if this is it or not...

The Devils have already done their part in being fair to him...they gave him the 2-year, over-value deal.  They're still calling him the #1 guy.  If Marty performs to the overall level of the three seasons, and insists that he's still got something left, as awkward as it will be for everyone involved, the Devils will have to let him go.  The last thing a franchise should ever do is Mark Messier themselves into a corner and let a player start dictating to them what he's going to do.  I've said it before, I really don't think Marty will do this to them, so I really don't think it will come to this.

#30 FOREVER!

#233 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

The Devils have already done their part in being fair to him...they gave him the 2-year, over-value deal.  They're still calling him the #1 guy.  If Marty performs to the overall level of the three seasons, and insists that he's still got something left, as awkward as it will be for everyone involved, the Devils will have to let him go.  The last thing a franchise should ever do is Mark Messier themselves into a corner and let a player start dictating to them what he's going to do.  I've said it before, I really don't think Marty will do this to them, so I really don't think it will come to this.

I mean, the Devils could keep him on past next season, but at backup money, and as the backup only.  If he wants to play 20 games at $1.5M, great, but if he wants more playing time or more money it will have to be elsewhere.

#234 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

I mean, the Devils could keep him on past next season, but at backup money, and as the backup only.  If he wants to play 20 games at $1.5M, great, but if he wants more playing time or more money it will have to be elsewhere.

Seems weird that he'd want to go out that way, but it's his legacy.  I wouldn't object to 20 or so games at backup money either...just can't picture that.  And how effective should a 42-year-old with the most miles ever for an NHL goalie be expected to be?  Can't say I'd be terribly enthusiastic about watching Marty limp his way towards 700 wins, to the tune of a 7-10-2 backup record or something like that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 July 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#235 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Seems weird that he'd want to go out that way, but it's his legacy.  I wouldn't object to 20 or so games at backup money either...just can't picture that.  And how effective should a 42-year-old with the most miles ever for an NHL goalie be expected to be?  Can't say I'd be terribly enthusiastic about watching Marty limp his way towards 700 wins, to the tune of a 7-10-2 backup record or something like that. 

I think fans think too much about 'how a player goes out' - it's his life, and if he wants to continue playing NHL hockey (at least for the Devils), that's how he's going to have to do it.

#236 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

So has anyone here purchased any Schneider gear yet?

#237 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,679 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think fans think too much about 'how a player goes out' - it's his life, and if he wants to continue playing NHL hockey (at least for the Devils), that's how he's going to have to do it.

yeah i think the same thing. I understand the point but think of it that way. If he sign as a backup for 1.5 or 2m a year as a backup and leadership in the locker room. Less stress for him and well... it's stil 1.5 or 2 million... thats a fvcking lot of money and considering his ex wife is grabbing a good chunk of it for another like 5 years or wtv. at the end of the day his best way to make money is to be playing in the NHL and not being a broadcaster lol

Edited by SterioDesign, 01 July 2013 - 04:24 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#238 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

So has anyone here purchased any Schneider gear yet?

I am going to make sure he will be #35 before I get his jersey, you never know with Lou and his numbers lol even though 35 should be fine.

EDIT: I could actually see him wearing #1 if Moose is gone.

Edited by Zubie#8, 01 July 2013 - 04:30 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#239 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Please not #31  :pray:

#240 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

I didn't realize this, but Schneider won 2 Lamoriello Trophies with Boston when they won the Hockey East Title. That's kinda cool.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users