• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#241 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Having hashed this over in my head a million times since yesterday I can now say I have warmed up to it. I am happy the goalie situation was addressed with confidence instead of hoping some of the young farm guys could step up or a UFA goalie who isn't a one year wonder.

#242 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think fans think too much about 'how a player goes out' - it's his life, and if he wants to continue playing NHL hockey (at least for the Devils), that's how he's going to have to do it.

Mike Modano played for Detroit, Dominik Hasek bounced around, Foppa was a shell and made that comeback for a few games. Nobody's going to remember any of that. Unless Brodeur goes and plays for the Rangers, a la maclean, nobody will care where he goes at the end or if he's a backup here really. 

You can't just have Brodeur starting based on legacy. If he plays more than Schneider, you're going out of your way to sacrifice wins

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#243 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

very nice to see lou make these deals. It's about time we had a team that was deep and that everyone talked about, not just a few standout stars.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#244 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Having hashed this over in my head a million times since yesterday I can now say I have warmed up to it. I am happy the goalie situation was addressed with confidence instead of hoping some of the young farm guys could step up or a UFA goalie who isn't a one year wonder.

How did you react and feel when bettman announced the trade?  Everyone looked so happy yrt I was sure lots of people where bummed bigtime. 

I was happy off the bat, just because I wasn't seeing anyone I reeally liked in the draft.  I reeally liked Landeskog our third pick year (just another reason to hate the flippin' avs <_<) and this sort of thing would have been a major bummer - but I'd grow to accept it.

I'm here for the party

#245 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

How did you react and feel when bettman announced the trade?  Everyone looked so happy yrt I was sure lots of people where bummed bigtime. 

I was happy off the bat, just because I wasn't seeing anyone I reeally liked in the draft.  I reeally liked Landeskog our third pick year (just another reason to hate the flippin' avs <_<) and this sort of thing would have been a major bummer - but I'd grow to accept it.

Seemed like most around me were stunned and upset we were not going to get a forward. But I was sitting with some crazy stat heads :)

#246 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

My reaction to the trade was surprise. I was angry for about a minute because I really was excited to have heard Nichushkin's name, but then I realized we got Schneider and came around almost immediately. It was tough to process at the event itself. Went from NO, to whoa, to YES in a matter of a minute or two. The first round was a lot of fun cause the crowd was pretty amped, but by pick #39 I was ready to leave. I did wait til Santini was drafted.

#247 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

So has anyone here purchased any Schneider gear yet?

I tweeted the Devils asking when Schneider shirts are hitting stores, but no response.. I'm guessing we won't see his shirt until at least when camp opens

But yeah I love that Schneider also makes the team just genuinely more attractive to FAs.. Players definitely love playing for a great goalie
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#248 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I just love the fact that we have a goalie who can potentially wins games by himself, we had two goalies who needed the team to carry them.

Edited by Zubie#8, 01 July 2013 - 07:14 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#249 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

really excited to see this guy play.. have no recollection of him really
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#250 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Mike Modano played for Detroit, Dominik Hasek bounced around, Foppa was a shell and made that comeback for a few games. Nobody's going to remember any of that. Unless Brodeur goes and plays for the Rangers, a la maclean, nobody will care where he goes at the end or if he's a backup here really.

You can't just have Brodeur starting based on legacy. If he plays more than Schneider, you're going out of your way to sacrifice wins

No one said he's starting based on legacy. But just naming Schneider the starter without letting him earn it would be a terrible way to handle the situation.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#251 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

No one said he's starting based on legacy. But just naming Schneider the starter without letting him earn it would be a terrible way to handle the situation.

If he was just a young prospect I'd agree with you, but he's not, he's been in the league for a few years now and while he's not a proven commodity he's unquestionably better than Brodeur  now. If the Devils got Lundqvist or Rinne or Quick would you have to make him earn it in training camp? No and Schneider was just as good if not better over the last couple years 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#252 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

If he was just a young prospect I'd agree with you, but he's not, he's been in the league for a few years now and while he's not a proven commodity he's unquestionably better than Brodeur now. If the Devils got Lundqvist or Rinne or Quick would you have to make him earn it in training camp? No and Schneider was just as good if not better over the last couple years

No one said he isn't better. It has nothing to do with that. You don't want to just throw the leader of the locker room onto the bench like that. You have to give him the chance to defend his spot and let Schneider earn it. It's not a video game. The guys on the team are real people. You risk players taking sides and splitting the room.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#253 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Seemed like most around me were stunned and upset we were not going to get a forward. But I was sitting with some crazy stat heads :)

um, just one of us.

c'mon - be honest, we were flabbergasted at the time. when nurse and ristolainen went 7/8, how pumped were we?

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#254 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

um, just one of us.

c'mon - be honest, we were flabbergasted at the time. when nurse and ristolainen went 7/8, how pumped were we?

Oh we were all giddy and didn't want to say it was a guaranteed. I was so happy when Nurse went, that was one of my fears and you voiced it too.

#255 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm getting there... I wish he was 2 years younger and signed for two more......

#256 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Congrats to the @NHLDevils , can't think of a better person or player to replace a hall of famer!

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#257 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

And for the record Edmonton didn't offer more then us. In fact they offered nada. Vancouver asked for their first,second and so. Edmonton was unwilling.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 01 July 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#258 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think a few have buried Marty too early.

His job to lose going into the season.  50 - 30 ish.  Marty gets hurt or starts slumping He sits a few.  He did that with Moose a couple years ago coming off an injury.

Near the end of the season, if the team is comfortable in a playoffs spot,  Marty gets a few games if he is slumping.  If they are fighting or just out, quicker hook.

Marty played well early last year, did go to the finals 2 years ago.  He is not his former self, He is not horrible.  The lack of scoring killed this team at times.  Not Marty's goaltender

His problems recently have been injuries and he's streaky.  Any injuries and you are in capable hands. You give him time to heal up. 

I think it's the least the team can do for a player that has given so much to this franchise.  Lou will treat him, with respect,  He will respect the team when he knows he can't hack it anymore.  He studies his game,  He has worked on his game such as his glove hand not as fast, he doesn't temp the shooters with it like he used too.

Not sure if Lou could convince him to have a farewell tour this year.  NHL is insane if the Devs aren't in Montreal the second to last Saturday of the year.

Next year, If Marty is cleary done,

Marty, you want your kid to even have a shot of an nhl rink?  Take over as special assignments coach for a year, watch your kids,  when you are ready you have the assistant GM job or goalie coach or chico's job if you want to go that rout, it's yours.

Or if Marty want to play, 1 year deals if he knows the exact role going in.  Backing up if he builds a report with Cory and it doesn't  have him looking over the shoulder.

edited this question on.  How does Cory handle the puck?  There is going to be a transitional period going from Marty being  like a third D.

Edited by Joe B, 01 July 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Joe

#259 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

happy 2 have a goalie with the potential to play here for the next 15 yeats provided he plays as long as marty. lock him up lou!!!

#260 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

The thing is, Marty is done as a nhl starter.  I know lots of people want to keep him in nets, but he just is not a starting quality goalie anymore.  He cannot stay healthy for a season at a time, and isnt all that good when hes in net.  His S% was good for 42nd in the league last year.  If you take out guys who played under 20 games, he was still 36th.  This is the 3rd year straight that he has been under 30.  34th in 11-12 and 35th in 10-11.  This is not going to get any better.  So we have a guy who is below starting quality in the regular season for 3 years running, is trending the right direction, and plays for a team that is going to need as much help in net as it can get to make the playoffs, yet we still want to start him out of sentiment?  That is the sort of thinking if it carries through the year will likely have the team looking from the outside of the playoff picture.

This is not a condemnation of his past contributions to the team, but a look at where he is now.  Many of these guys love the game and do not know when to call it quits because they will not take an objective look at the quality of their play.  Marty is quickly getting to that point.  Hes a hero, let him play 35-30 games if that many.  Call him the starter if it strokes his ego, but come game 10, if he is still getting played like the number 1 the Devils will have made the wrong choice in nets.

There are positions in hockey that a player can ride off to the sunset in despite a drastic decline.  Mike Modano is a great example of that, as is Ken Daneyko.  Goalie is not one of them.  When a guy is done there is no hiding it, and if hes left in the game it gets ugly real quick.  The Devils are on the verge of that with Marty, and it is far worse to embarrass him in net then to embarrass him by putting him on the bench for a year.  If he even thinks about entertaining the idea of playing past this year it would be the Devils best interest to immediately offer him a position in the org as the counter.  If he isnt starting there is a good chance he becomes a distraction to whomever is, and the team is best served by him not being around.

Doing anything but what gives the team the best chance to win each night is a disservice to the other 22 guys on the roster.

"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users