341 replies to this topic

#321 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

i think kevin stevens and rod brind'amour, and eric lindros, and keith primeau and jeff carter are also involved.

am i correct that the "banging the wife" fables started with kevin stevens?

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#322 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

The more and more I think about this from Sunday, the more and more I like it! LET'S GO DEVILS, LET'S GO MARTY AND LET'S GO CORY!

Posted Image Posted Image

#323 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

That's my only concern... Marty is 41 but looks like he could play until he's 44-45. That's not an exaggeration. Others have come close (i.e Ed Belfour). Will Schneider be ok riding the pine that long? Remains to be seen.

He plays best when he's rested, and he can still bring it (just not as often as he used to). Plus, he's played 144 games in the last 3 years, Schneider has played 98. If Schneider can play 52 and let Marty get 30, we might be golden for next season at least.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#324 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Still no word on what number Cory is going to wear? I imagine they'd announce it/allude to it in some kind of presser.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#325 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Still no word on what number Cory is going to wear? I imagine they'd announce it/allude to it in some kind of presser.

I wouldn't be surpised if we didn't know till training camp.

#326 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

There's no reason Marty should be starting anymore. He isn't owed anything, nor is he entitled to start. Marty's been starting games he shouldn't have been playing the past few years, because of his legacy alone. We don't owe him anything else. He's 41 and should not be starting most games over an elite goalie. It's just silly.

Brodeur has started 248 games over the last 5 years. That's an average of 49 starts per season. (since 2008-09) So why would it be so difficult to say; Look.. you're going to start 47 games, and Schneider will start 35. -??

Ideally, I agree with you. I'd also like to see CS play 50 games, and Marty 32. But for at least this season, I can deal with this.
If Brodeur's ego pushes him to play anything over 55 games however (regardless how close he is to 700) it'll be a crime.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#327 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

The Devils don't really put much thought into that. We'll probably know at camp. But looking at his career, it's either 35 or 1.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#328 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Brodeur has started 248 games over the last 5 years. That's an average of 49 starts per season. (since 2008-09) So why would it be so difficult to say; Look.. you're going to start 47 games, and Schneider will start 35. -??

Ideally, I agree with you. I'd also like to see CS play 50 games, and Marty 32. But for at least this season, I can deal with this.
If Brodeur's ego pushes him to play anything over 55 games however (regardless how close he is to 700) it'll be a crime.

Why would Brodeur's ego push him to start games?  He isn't the coach.  He's going to get 30+ starts if he's healthy - like Lou's been saying, there are 20 or 22 back to backs.  Neither guy should be starting both of those if both are healthy unless Schneider's really on a roll.  

DeBoer's already shown he's not afraid to sit Brodeur at critical times.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#329 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Why would Brodeur's ego push him to start games?  He isn't the coach.  He's going to get 30+ starts if he's healthy - like Lou's been saying, there are 20 or 22 back to backs.  Neither guy should be starting both of those if both are healthy unless Schneider's really on a roll.  

DeBoer's already shown he's not afraid to sit Brodeur at critical times.

I was thinking about this the other day, but can't remember this being true. Any specific examples?

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 July 2013 - 09:08 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#330 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I was thinking about this the other day, but can't remember this being true. Any specific examples?

It's completely true. I have no specifics because I'm lazy AND DeBoer has the gift of diplomacy.

I'm here for the party

#331 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

When's the last time Brodeur was pulled in a playoff game where his team was tied?  Because that happened in the 2012 playoffs.  It's hard to imagine a previous coach pulling him in any non-injury situation when the game was tied.

Article from Damian Cox on Brodeur - says he might play more years after this one as the backup:  http://www.thestar.c...career_cox.html

Edited by Triumph, 04 July 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#332 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

When's the last time Brodeur was pulled in a playoff game where his team was tied?  Because that happened in the 2012 playoffs.  It's hard to imagine a previous coach pulling him in any non-injury situation when the game was tied.

Article from Damian Cox on Brodeur - says he might play more years after this one as the backup:  http://www.thestar.c...career_cox.html

I was thinking about that playoff game, but completely forgot the situation. The Devils came out well and the Panthers pulled their goalie. They turned it around, and Brodeur was awful, so DeBoer was looking for a spark too. Pete was never afraid to pull Marty, but always seemed to go right back to him.

Lou is leaving it all in Pete's hands. Hope the decision is as hard as possible for him.

Interesting quotes from Marty to Cox. Probably the only thing that Cox is good for. I do wonder if this is was a mistake by Marty:

“It won’t be difficult for him. Hey, we’re in New Jersey,” said Brodeur. “It’s not going to be prime time with every single start. We’ll be in Carolina and nobody will care who starts a game. If he plays four in a row, it will not be a big deal. If I play four in a year, no big deal.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#333 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

It's wonderful of Marty to say that. It makes a lot if things clear. What a guy. It's almost as if he wants to stick around to teach & learn more coaching yet still be able to hop on ice in game situations. Haha. How many times did we wish Stevens could just hop on for a change or two to teach these drips something.

That's the way I'm choosing to read it anyhow :evil:

I'm here for the party

#334 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,987 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

I like how Brodeur has to wear an ID tag on the floor of his own home arena
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#335 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I was thinking about that playoff game, but completely forgot the situation. The Devils came out well and the Panthers pulled their goalie. They turned it around, and Brodeur was awful, so DeBoer was looking for a spark too. Pete was never afraid to pull Marty, but always seemed to go right back to him.

There was another game where Brodeur got yanked in Minnesota, then didn't start the next night in Winnipeg.  I don't ever remember that happening either.

Interesting quotes from Marty to Cox. Probably the only thing that Cox is good for. I do wonder if this is was a mistake by Marty

Yeah that either seems like a transcribing error or a joke that doesn't play on the page.

#336 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

According to Wysh who is just going by what he sees on twitter also, word is that Kesler was banging Schneider's gf.

Again this is just random twitter comments so take it with a grain of salt.

Looks like a random joke Tweet, not sure why Wysh would even mention it..

#337 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Quick question...we still have to forfeit our first round pick next year, right?  So that means two years in a row of possibly giving up a top 10 pick. I just hope Schnieder is starting within 4 years, otherrwise the swap doesnt make as much sense.

There is absolutely no way in hell that Lou just traded the #9 pick for a guy who's gonna ride the pine for the rest of his contract. I also SERIOUSLY douct Schneider would re-sign here if he isn't the starter before that point. That would be insane.

#338 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

There is absolutely no way in hell that Lou just traded the #9 pick for a guy who's gonna ride the pine for the rest of his contract. I also SERIOUSLY douct Schneider would re-sign here if he isn't the starter before that point. That would be insane.

I give marty 2 years max, with schneider playing a lot of games. Schneider will re-sign, he knows he is the future number 1 goalie. Read what Marty said in the interview with Cox, he said he would be backup to help Schneider and the team if he had to. Im not worried about our goalie situation.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#339 Hockey Widow

Hockey Widow

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

Canucks fan here. Took me a while to find you guys!

Just wanted to offer my congratulations on landing Cory. You will love this guy. He is the real deal, top notch goalie. I know he doesn't have a long resume yet but I think you guys will just fall in love with him. There were rumours that he suffers from panic attacks and that is one reason the Canucks felt he was expendable but don't believe them. He does suffer from unexplained leg cramps thought to be brought on by dehydration but they were well controlled and well managed. He is a class person and a great hockey player, a great teammate. He does impersonations which are quite funny to listen to so watch out for them.

Unfortunately for us he suffered a groin injury in the last week of the season and didn't get to start in the playoffs. Most of us felt he should never have been put in when he was as it was obvious that goaltending was not our problem.

The one problem you may have is he was tired of being a back up which was why the situation in Vancouver had to change. I think he will be fine learning from Marty but if Marty does not retire in the next year you could lose him to FA but I doubt that happens. Be prepared for sticker shock when it is time to renew his contract but in two years I think you will all agree he is well worth whatever price tag he comes with.

NJD just become my favourite team in the East!

#340 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Canucks fan here. Took me a while to find you guys!

Just wanted to offer my congratulations on landing Cory. You will love this guy. He is the real deal, top notch goalie. I know he doesn't have a long resume yet but I think you guys will just fall in love with him. There were rumours that he suffers from panic attacks and that is one reason the Canucks felt he was expendable but don't believe them. He does suffer from unexplained leg cramps thought to be brought on by dehydration but they were well controlled and well managed. He is a class person and a great hockey player, a great teammate. He does impersonations which are quite funny to listen to so watch out for them.

Unfortunately for us he suffered a groin injury in the last week of the season and didn't get to start in the playoffs. Most of us felt he should never have been put in when he was as it was obvious that goaltending was not our problem.

The one problem you may have is he was tired of being a back up which was why the situation in Vancouver had to change. I think he will be fine learning from Marty but if Marty does not retire in the next year you could lose him to FA but I doubt that happens. Be prepared for sticker shock when it is time to renew his contract but in two years I think you will all agree he is well worth whatever price tag he comes with.

NJD just become my favourite team in the East!

Welcome! Don't be afraid to post here often, we have a resident Sharks fan so why not a resident Canucks fan!

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users