341 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

You're a real negative son of a bitch, you know that?

Generally I'm not or at least I don't think so. Of Nishuskin was gone I could have lived with it. The Devils have no one beyond Kovy and maybe Eliad that you can count on to score goals. Nishuskin would have solved that problem.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Like i said u finally lost it this time

#43 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

The bottom line is we just got one of the best goalies in the league for at least the next 2 years. Gotta be happy with that. Hopefully Lou can extend him.

Yes scoring does still need to be addressed but hopefully Lou has a trade or UFA signing he's waiting for.

#44 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm not overly crazy about the trade itself, just because years of neglect built up into this happening, but the actual swap, they eliminated one of their biggest holes.   

I guess. Lou put us into this situation. It was either forwards or goaltending. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#45 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Great move Lou. I hope Cory beats out Marty for the starting role this coming season.And he is cheaper than Marty so maybe Marty won't get another year. We now have solid goal tending with a decent defense so lets get some offense for this coming season. This was a terrific move.

#46 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Generally I'm not or at least I don't think so. Of Nishuskin was gone I could have lived with it. The Devils have no one beyond Kovy and maybe Eliad that you can count on to score goals. Nishuskin would have solved that problem.

Agreed. And if you believe that Lou will run out and get a top level UFA forward then I want what you're smoking. Lou's recent track record shows that he only goes after low hanging fruit when it comes to forwards.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#47 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Have you read up on Nichushkin? He's not consistent at all. His numbers have never been that impressive. I wanted the devils to draft him when he was available but he is a gamble. He is not nearly a "lock" or 20 goals. We got a stud goaltender in his prime. And since he knows he will absolutely have the starting position when he's nearing the end of his contract I don't see him leaving. He doesn't want to go somewhere and get put in another Vancouver situation.

#48 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

My reaction:

usu2yvu4.jpg
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#49 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Agreed. And if you believe that Lou will run out and get a top level UFA forward then I want what you're smoking. Lou's recent track record shows that he only goes after low hanging fruit when it comes to forwards.

Supposedly Briere actually wants to come to the Devils. Would not be surprised if we are on his short list come Tuesday. The other two (vinny & Horton) we don't have a shot at getting

#50 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Right now, it's a great trade. If Schneider re-signs in two years, it's a great trade. If he leaves when his current contract is up... well, we'll have to cross that bridge when (if) we come to it. Even if Schneider ends up getting a huge payday from someone else, we'll still have Wedgewood in the system (hopefully), so it shouldn't be that big of a blow.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#51 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Bottom line, it's a lot easier to get scorers than it is to get legit #1 goaltenders in their prime. We just got the latter and we did it without sacrificing ANYONE currently from our roster. Now it's time to sign some free agents.

believe-devs.jpg

#52 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Guys, you can't expect to get a guy signed for life for just a 1st round pick (and if you do, it means he has an albatros contract you have to accept and you are the one getting screwed in the trade).

Remember those deadline deals? A 1st plus assets for TWO MONTHS of a guy? Yeah, keep complaining.

#53 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Injuries killed us this year.  19-19-10 was not good enough.  We'll now be more competetive.  I'm looking to being over .500 next year.  Welcome Cory !

As for who we would've drafted, we'll likely see that answer in 2-3 years.   Generally speaking a #9 pick results in a good player 2/3 times and a marginal player the other time.   

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426689

Schneider, 27, has a save percentage of .931 over the last three seasons,best among goaltenders with at least 75 games and was expected to be the Vancouver Canucks' goatlender of the future, but their inability to move out Roberto Luongo and his sizeable contract, left a Schneider deal as the only viable solution to Vancouver's financial and goaltending concerns.

However, for a variety of reasons, Schneider is a 27-year-old that has yet to play even 35 games in an NHL season and if he's going to be a top-tier starting goaltender, it's about time to take on a starter's workload and maintain the high level of play he's established in his limited NHL playing time.

In New Jersey, the Devils have Martin Brodeur, who has been the backbone of the franchise for nearly two decades, but Brodeur has a .905 save percentage over the last three seasons, which ranks 29th out of 31 goaltenders to have played at least 100 games, and he's 41-years-old, so it's entirely understandable that the Devils are looking to upgrade

Edited by BlueSkirt, 30 June 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#54 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Right now, it's a great trade. If Schneider re-signs in two years, it's a great trade. If he leaves when his current contract is up... well, we'll have to cross that bridge when (if) we come to it. Even if Schneider ends up getting a huge payday from someone else, we'll still have Wedgewood in the system (hopefully), so it shouldn't be that big of a blow.

This and this. The "he might leave in two years!!!!!!!!!" argument baffles me. Our first round pick might break his leg! Maybe he'd be another tedenby! There's a lot less "if's" with an established #1 goaltender in his prime than there are with an 18 year old kid. This is a huge addition to our roster, important, and it was a steal of a trade. 

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#55 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Nishuskin dont score taht much in the KHL... Devils trade their pick because they couldnt have a real goal scorer a that position (he still love shinkaruk)

Be hey im really happy and exited...

I have friend who are canuck fans and they hate the trade.... They thought they would have a 1 pick  a 2 pick and a legit top 6 player

#56 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

So what happens this year? Do the Devils go with three goaltenders or is Moose out the door? If the latter, how? Retirement? Buyout? Trade (after Moose waives his NTC)? Waivers?
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

I like this deal.  Offense comes and goes, but the Devils were going to walk into next year with the worst goaltending in the league.  They just fixed that.  And they have an older-ish team - yeah, it'd be nice to get someone in this year's draft, but you've got Kovalchuk around for a long time - if you think he can hold up until he's 35 (which a lot of his comps do), you're not set there, but you're not doing badly either.

The trouble is that Schneider is only signed for 2 more years and will command elite goalie prices when he comes available.  But you look around the league and a lot of teams already have their guy signed through that year, it's not a bad risk to take from that perspective.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#58 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'm actually pretty indifferent about the trade. However, I am concerned about Lou's almost complete disregard for bringing on any solid offensive talent and Kovy doesn't count.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Cory Schneider is about to speak after the commercial.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

there gonna do a phone interview with him when they get back from commercials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users