341 replies to this topic

#81 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

i couldn't believe this trade when it happened. everyone in the chatroom couldn't believe Nichushkin had fallen to us.  I had always wanted him in a NJ jersey, and he was right in front of us.

originally i was pissed, but once it started to settle i realized that we just inherited our future, a goalie that has put up huge numbers the last few years.

.927 sv%

2.11GAA

playing 30 games last year and

.937 sv% 1.96 GAA

the year before, playing 33 games.

I could definitely get comfortable with him in net

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#82 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

also getting a solid goalie post-brodeur may have a positive influence on the free agents we could sign. as they'd see no question marks in net.

"Schneider, 27, has a save percentage of .931 over the last three seasons, best among goaltenders with at least 75 games, 4th goalie in the league last season on SV%"

this also feels pretty good.

Edited by SterioDesign, 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#83 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

bonus is Lou absolutely SNAGGED Schneider right from under Torts!

How obnoxious that this was my first thought above all else.

Ayeeeeee....fonz.gif

I'm here for the party

#84 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Goal scoring can be had via UFA, nothing stopping us. Goaltending however was a major major major monkey on our back, and finally I think we've solved it. Have fun this or next offseason trying to get a #1 goaltender, would've been impossible.

Absolute brilliant trade.

#85 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

This is a fantastic deal. A lot of people are talking about a solution once Brodeur retires. How about a solution right now. We are going from one of the worst goalies of the last few years to one of the best. This is the answer to the goaltending this coming season. This could be a very akward season, but Schneider needs to be the starter from game 1. It can't even be an argument based on current skill.

I have no clue how Marty will handle being a backup. It isnt for every great but many have done it.

One last thing. With Schneider as the goalie, you make the pick being given up next year a lot crappier. This was a deal that guarantees avoiding embarrassment.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#86 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

I was stunned by this news after getting home from vacation.  And I like it.  We have our goalie of the present and the future.  I'd be stunned if all goes well, that Schneider doesn't sign an extension next offseason.  Also as Tri said, I'm not sure there will be all too many teams out there with the Cap room to make themselves a competitor if he does make it to FA in 2015.  I think this is a good spot for both the team and player and I think Schneider strangely comes to an easier situation to deal with (Brodeur) than in Vancouver (Luongo) for obvious reasons.  While I love Marty, it's clear he needs to take a back seat and enjoy the farewell tour and I think Schneider is a huge upgrade for us right away too.  As for Hedberg, I've never been a huge fan, so I don't really have any significant feeling of loss for seeing him go.

Also, in terms of us tradining the pick, I was surpised, but I was not surprised Shinkaruk who many were touting after, fell so far to the back of the 1st as well. 

I expect Lou to continue to be active on the FA and trade front here over the next week or so.  I'm very doubtful Clarkson is coming back, so Lou ideally needs two Fs in addition to bringing back Elias and Zubrus.

Edited by coldply123, 30 June 2013 - 07:55 PM.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#87 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

A .900 SV% to  .925 SV% gives us how many wins?

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#88 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

You don't 'bring on' talent when you draft a player at 9th overall.  You hope that he improves enough to be able to play in the NHL (and hopefully excel).  Like I said, when you look historically at the draft, only half of the guys taken between 7-11 turned out to be average or better players.

This is why I've been so quiet.  High draft picks are fine but this team needed something now - something as certain and in the present as possible - not a great future possibility we probably have to wait a season or two for.  I'm not risk averse - I just like the teams odds better with this move than I would with a possibility. 

I'm here for the party

#89 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

This is a fantastic deal. A lot of people are talking about a solution once Brodeur retires. How about a solution right now. We are going from one of the worst goalies of the last few years to one of the best. This is the answer to the goaltending this coming season. This could be a very akward season, but Schneider needs to be the starter from game 1. It can't even be an argument based on current skill.

I have no clue how Marty will handle being a backup. It isnt for every great but many have done it.

One last thing. With Schneider as the goalie, you make the pick being given up next year a lot crappier. This was a deal that guarantees avoiding embarrassment.

This could be dicey at first, I don't know, but I think it's clear Marty will have a job with the organization for life if he wants it.  There are worse things than having to take a backseat to a newcomer for the first time in his career, for just one season.  I don't expect Marty to love this, but I think deep down he's got to understand his days of being the unquestioned man are very likely over. 

I'm guessing it will start off as a rotation early on.  Marty will have to play well beyond expectations to keep it that way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 June 2013 - 08:04 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#90 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

A .900 SV% to .925 SV% gives us how many wins?

It'll be a nice controlled experiment to see if save percentage translates across teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#91 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Awesome move, I'm stunned! Pencil him in for at least half the games next year :) I thought we might try and grab Miller, but jeez, this is a great move.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#92 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

I love, love, LOVE this move. This is highway robbery, downright criminal. Another notch in Lou's bedpost.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#93 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

this is a great long term move.  If this move was made by the flyers, objective fans would have proclaimed it brilliant.  This helps keep the team in the hunt right away versus a player that might be something in a couple of years.  As much of a lock as Larssen was supposed to be, look how he's struggled at times.  Schnieder is proven at this leve.

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#94 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

It'll be a nice controlled experiment to see if save percentage translates across teams. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No it won't, we already have 200 examples of that being true.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#95 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Lou said marty is still no.1

http://prohockeytalk...-a-no-1-goalie/

Edited by CarterforPresident, 30 June 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#96 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

It'll be a nice controlled experiment to see if save percentage translates across teams. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We get it, you hate the move.  The Devils found a guy who's still young, in his prime, and could be here for quite a while.  No living year-to-year, no wondering how the Devils get through 2013-14 with two oldsters, and what happens in 2014-2015.  No more wondering about Wedge and Kinkaid and Clermont.  This is such a positive, I have no idea how anyone can bitch about this one.

Lou said marty is still no.1

Fine if Lou wants to say that now as to be respectful, but there's no way Marty hangs onto the job if he struggles, or if Schneider clearly outplays him.  The writing is very much on the wall here.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#97 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

it didnt work with bryzgalov anyway

www.SterioDesign.com

#98 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yes. But can he score?

#99 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

What's his chant going to be though? We got blessed with the Marty chant, then moose came along. I guess we do Cory clap clap. Just doesn't feel right though.

#100 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Posts like this are so fvcking stupid. When and if he proves what a fantastic addition he is to the team, we will re-sign him. Was it stupid of Edmonton to offer a first, second, and prospect? This is a very, very good trade. It addresses a NEED, and it's the swap of a "could-be" prospect with an established, young NHL goaltender in his prime.

It's a valid thing to worry about, how is it stupid? Because we retain our UFA talent so well in the past? Parise, gionta, rafalski, holik, gomez....And then you say that people are "fvcking stupid" for thinking that. Go sit in a corner somewhere will you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users