• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

17-9-4 .927

vs

18-13-4 .902

Who's the better goaltender?

There's a reason Schneider sent the 2010 Canadian Olympic goalie to the bench. He's easily one of the best 10 goalies in the league IMO

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#122 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

17-9-4 .927

vs

18-13-4 .902

Who's the better goaltender?

Like I said before in this thread I'm pretty ambivalent about this trade. I liked Schneider before last season and was hoping he would have been on the Devils' radar before the extension, but anything can happen was what my point was.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#123 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

There's a reason Schneider sent the 2010 Canadian Olympic goalie to the bench. He's easily one of the best 10 goalies in the league IMO

its been posted already but "Schneider, 27, has a save percentage of .931 over the last three seasons, best among goaltenders with at least 75 games, 4th goalie in the league last season on SV%"

that is really. really good. like everyone here i wanted the shiny toy and get a scoring forward but getting a solid top goalie for one pick is clearly a good move. No matter what Bo harvat or whoever we could have picked turn out. We needed a goalie next season and would have had to take a huge risk signing a so-so goalie or overpay for a good one.

Deboer not giving a start to Kincaid last season even though Moose was obviously beyond horrible speaks volume a little on how they trust our youngsters at this moment.

Edited by SterioDesign, 30 June 2013 - 10:16 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#124 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Theres a reason why the majority of Vancouver fans are losing their minds over this trade. Its hilarious reading. Search any negative word i.e. stupid and Canucks in Twitter or Facebook and the amount of hate towards this deal from their fans is amazing. Other good search terms: "fvck Gillis" etc. 

Edited by ghdi, 30 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#125 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Guess I'm coming around to the trade. I was really bummed about passing on someone with number 1 pick type talent. But a lot of people who know more than I do did the same thing. And I guess Lou knows that Schneider needs to be here long term and won't dilly dally when the time comes. If we're getting someone that's better than Kunqvist it'll feel even better. Also glad Lou is open about needing to get more scoring via free agency, whether he follows through is another issue. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#126 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

I like this trade. Devils were looking at a huge hole in the most important position in the game and went out and acquired a proven commodity

#127 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm confused. Why would Vancouver trade Schneider to get the chance to draft Nichushkin and then draft Bo Horvat? Don't they read message boards?

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#128 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Why Vancouver made that trade, many of us will never know

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#129 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Back from the draft and watching the replay now. So awesome hearing Dreger say that a bunch of teams were shocked that the Devils got Cory for so little. Edmontons offer apparently blew the Devils offer out of the water but Vancouver didnt want to send Cory to another Western team. Was also funny hearing the TSN commentators call the trade a "heist."

#130 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

7 pages in and no video yet!?

believe-zubrus.jpg

#131 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'd also like to point out that while Schneider's stats are very good he didn't play in a vacuum. Vancouver's offense is better than ours and their D is as good if not better than ours.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#132 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'll feel a lot better about the "goalie of the future" when Lou signs him to an extension after next year. Not going to be happy if they gave up 9th overall for 2 years of Schneider. Would've liked the deal better if the Devils added in their 2nd and also got back Van's 24th overall. Schneider has never played more than 33 games in a season, which I feel like would help inflate his numbers. Still a big upgrade over Brodeur and Hedberg but I'm not able to get as excited about this as others at this moment in time.

Vancouver fans should be happy getting Horvat and Shinkaruk in their 1st round.

Hopefully Lou doesn't go "status quo" with 8 D again next year and actually makes a trade or signing for someone who can actually score a damn goal.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#133 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

Great Trade for the Devils. Upgrades our goaltender situation immediately. Our next 2 years in goal will be solid. After this trade, my confidence in Lou has grown a lot, and I firmly believe Lou wouldn't have made this trade if he didn't believe Schneider wouldn't sign an extension or re-sign after his contract ends. As Lou said, Schneider is the goalie for the present and for the future, which shows he believes he will re-sign him.

IN LOU WE TRUST   

Edited by Devs3cups, 30 June 2013 - 11:20 PM.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#134 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Where's parsy? I miss him.
Love this move and am excited to see what else lou has up his sleeves.
We got out new #1! How cool is that?!

#135 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'll feel a lot better about the "goalie of the future" when Lou signs him to an extension after next year. Not going to be happy if they gave up 9th overall for 2 years of Schneider. Would've liked the deal better if the Devils added in their 2nd and also got back Van's 24th overall. Schneider has never played more than 33 games in a season, which I feel like would help inflate his numbers. Still a big upgrade over Brodeur and Hedberg but I'm not able to get as excited about this as others at this moment in time.

Vancouver fans should be happy getting Horvat and Shinkaruk in their 1st round.

Hopefully Lou doesn't go "status quo" with 8 D again next year and actually makes a trade or signing for someone who can actually score a damn goal.

Well put.  I also think Vancouver did pretty damn well.  Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, and Subban.

#136 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

I like the trade for both NJ and Vancouver.  I'm curious how the team transitions since I think it's pretty clear at this point Schneider is better than Marty, and Marty does not seem like someone willing to step aside easily.  I also wonder if the fact that the Devils are going to forfeit their first rounder next year played into the decision making at all.

Also FWIW the Sharks played the Canucks last year in the playoffs and I thought Luongo outplayed Schneider (who was hurt) in the 4 games they played.   

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#137 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

here we go with an awesome vid

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4ZR7jvTfE6Q

#138 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

here we go with an awesome vid

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4ZR7jvTfE6Q

Fantastic video. Some of the reflex saves he makes there are incredible. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#139 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

will we have room to sign him after his two years are up?

#140 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

will we have room to sign him after his two years are up?

Yep, Marty's 4.5 million will be gone by then. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users