Photo

Devils select Steven Santini 2nd Round (42 overall)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

hahaha, well done.

At least someone caught it........!   

Kids!

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#22 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

D Steven Santini 6'2 207 USNTDP (Boston College commit)

Future Considerations:

STEVEN SANTINI
POSITION: Defense
SHOOTS: Right
TEAM: Under-18 (US NTDP)
BORN: March 7, 1995
VITALS: 6’-1” / 210 Lbs
STATS: 65 GP 0 G 15 A 15 PTS 46 PIM

SCOUTING REPORT: Santini is an old-school, defensive defender whose priority is his own zone above all else. He is a good skater who generates healthy speed but lacks burst in his skating. His stride is powerful and fluid but turns condensed and choppy when he really digs in. He plays with a healthy amount of sandpaper -- he will bury an opponent if he gets the chance, but won’t take himself out of position just to blow someone up. He is gritty, physical and not afraid to drop the mitts if needed and uses his body and strength to separate the puck and clear zones. He forces the puck carrier to the outside and whacks and hacks with little slashes and cross-checks to the legs and hips if they wonder into his area. Santini also shows solid gap control and defensive awareness but can get caught chasing the puck at times. Offensively, he sees the ice well and makes strong passes but is not overly creative and likely will not run a power-play. He has decent hands that allow him to control the puck and start a breakout. A heavy shot from the point, good touch on his passes, very good poise under pressure are also in his arsenal. His head is constantly on a swivel with the puck on his stick. Never throws the puck away or forces it into traffic.

NHL POTENTIAL: Top 4 Defensive Defenseman

Hockey Prospect:

Santini, Steve – RD – US NTDP Under-18 Team – 6’2, 205

Mean, strong, and sound at both ends of the rink, Santini is the best defensive prospect from the NTDP this year. A confident leader who brings it for big games and works hard on and off the ice, he rarely goes a shift without making a positive impression and can be iced comfortably in any situation. A defense-first player, Santini makes life hell on opposing forwards, physically dominating those who come into his corner or try to camp out in front of the net. He makes very few mistakes against the rush and is difficult to beat wide, though he does chase the play from time to time when the opposing team get their offense set up. He steps up when he senses hesitation and can lay big, open-ice hits. He takes few penalties for such an aggressive player, but discipline is an occasional issue. Though he managed to go the entire year without scoring a goal, Santini’s puck skills are actually quite good. He’s not dynamic, and therefore not an ideal power play quarterback, but he has the ability to skate the puck out of danger and makes a good first pass. His shot is powerful and he keeps his head up when shooting, but his release tends to be slow and his accuracy is lacking. He’s not particularly elusive against the forecheck but protects the puck well and shows good instincts under pressure. When he finds himself without an option, he’s good about making the safe clearance. Excellent skating ties his game together. He has a powerful stride and is difficult to beat in tight with great edge work.

Santini projects as a top-quality, smooth-skating shutdown defenseman who won’t be a liability with the puck. Santini is the type of glue player that helps teams win championships.

Quotable: “Had him really high on my list early this season. I thought he could post some offensive numbers but they never came. He’s still a top 40 guy for me, I like the toughness, he moves the puck and can skate.” - Mark Edwards

Hockey Prospectus:

28. Steven Santini, Defense, USA Under-18 (USHL)

Santini is a defenseman possessing several professional-level qualities. He is not a player who will wow you with a high level of skill, but he does have some impressive attributes. He is a good, if not a high-end skater, with good four-way bursts and nice technique on his pivots and footwork. His top speed helps him when joining the rush. Santini is strong for his age, and he displays physical qualities in muscling forwards off of the puck or delivering solid body checks. He defends very well, be it closing gaps, making stops with his body or stick, or positioning himself effectively. Santini's area of dispute lies in his offensive upside. He shows good abilities on the power play, but scouts have given me divided opinions on his puck moving, ranging anywhere from it being one of his best qualities to being just average. I tend to lean toward the latter, despite the occasional flashes of puck rushing Santini shows. One source praised his shot, although I am not as convinced that it is a strength. He is committed to attend Boston College in the fall.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#23 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

I really like this pick actually. With all the defensive prospects we have, we don't have anyone who is really a big checker and who plays the physical game the way the scouting reports say that Santini does. He sounds like he could someday play the role that Volchenkov was expected to.

believe-devs.jpg

#24 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

It is nice to get a player than can land big heads and play a defensive game. The only downside is that he doesn't have any offensive skill (maybe a hard shot) and it costed us a 2nd rounder. For a 2nd, many of us were hoping to land a scorer

Also, being committed to Boston, he won't be available for a while

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#25 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Not a fan of this pick. I prefer to avoid the US development program.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

Not a fan of this pick. I prefer to avoid the US development program.

Why do you prefer to avoid the USNTDP?

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

I just don't like the type of player it usually develops. North-South players, little creativity or hockey sense, doesn't generate much offense from the point. They are transition players.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#28 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

Can we at least hope to get a josh gorges out of him?

www.SterioDesign.com

#29 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

Sounds like Colin White

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#30 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Colin White with possibly the ability to think a little more - hopefully not so much an intuitive learner as Colin.  The more I live the more I see how important it is to learn how to think and learn in a formulaic way to compliment and temper the intuitive side. I hope he'll be playing in Boston -- it'll be fun to see how he develops.

MacIssaac just blew any chance of scouting for the Devils. I kid. :evil:

I don't quite understand J., how your philosophy matches up with the Devils. I'm not being a jerk.  I just feel like you ARE learning more and more of the specifics of how you personally select a player and the kind you like - and you must see it's not really in synch with this organization. You don't read prospects quite the same way - you don't reach the same conclusions this organization does. Do the Devils moves ever cause you to rethink your scouting taste or methods - or more the more logical assumption, do you start to doubt your opinion of this organization? 

In all honesty, and I'm sure you won't grant me the privileged, but I really would love to read about what it is you do like about the Devils the more you learn.  How do you think you'd jibe with their system or do you think you'd provide much needed change, a fresh point of view? 

While it might be easy to tell me to shove it, it's just one guy -- It's not just this one pick - I ask all this based on the full body of your posting here.

I'm here for the party

#31 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

This is such a strange selection to me.

I always find USNDTP players are always hard to judge until the take the next step and move on to College or Junior.

He has a different skill set which is good, and it seems that he is fantastic at what he does in his own end, he should also have plenty of time to develop, but considering our depth on the blue line and the lacking scoring prospects in the organisation the fact that we select Santini one place before Nicolas Petan, who just scored 120 points in a season is strange.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

I think it's clear The System is still  where it's at in Jerz.   I dont see it as a refusal to grow with the changing NHL.  I think it says hockey is hockey and what works will always work.  You need goal tending and you need defense - scoring is always intuitive and comes with confidence you are fully supported in teh background. 

I still do sort of think that when a forward isn't scoring on THIS team, within this system, it's because he's got his mind on covering his ass with the backcheck.  Without a real defence he can't do his job.  Our defence will ALWAYS look good on paper because our forwards are instilled with defence first.  It's why a lot of guys dont want to play here.  :noclue:  The way to make them want to is to free up there time for the forecheck.  ummmmm.gif  OR - I'm just blowin' sunshine up my skirt here  winky.gif

I'm here for the party

#33 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

So with our second round pick we take a defenseman with no offensive skills.Yea, we have too many scorers on this team as is.. I totally get it. Need to mix it up. :koolaid:

#34 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, I probably would have been happier with no trade in the second round, and just picking up Dauphin at 39.

With how deep this draft was in offensive prospects (Zykov nearly fell to us at 39), a really good offensive player could have been chosen early in the second round. Not sure why they went with a big defensive D here.

#35 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

They drafted the highest rated player on their board at the time they selected.  They didn't draft for need.

Posted Image

#36 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

This pick won't impact the Devils until 2015-16 at the earliest, whether it was a forward or a defenseman. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#37 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Thing is... Dauphin is really good....

www.SterioDesign.com

#38 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

I could've gone either way with what the Devils did. I would've been thrilled with Dauphin at 39 but I also think Santini is a solid prospect. Who knows what the defensive depth for the Devils will look like at the pro levels in 3-4 years. I like that Lou was able to get a quality prospect and add a 3rd round pick to select a guy with 1st round talent but flawed consistency which is why he fell.

I'm fine with passing on Petan who is 5'9, 166 lbs. No doubt he has some serious offensive skill but his numbers may be inflated from playing on a great Portland team. He's also known to be weak along the boards and gets beat physically as Hockey Prospect points out.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 04 July 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,897 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Yah, don't sleep on that third rounder, that's the kind of pick Detroit makes every year.  

The Devils have drafted 1 defenseman in each of the last two drafts.  By the time Santini might be ready for NHL duty, who knows what the Devils D situation will look like.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users