46 replies to this topic

#21 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

everything on clarkson is nothing more then a bunch of assumptions.. no one here knows clarkson so with out speaking to the guy you have no idea how he feels or whats going threw his mind.. with out anything really being leaked no one knows lou either so we have absolutely zero idea of what has been offered to him.. all lou has said is that hes been working hard to re sign our ufa's thats it.. no one knows what the leafs real intentions are or if they even want clarkson as bad as to be speculated.. until some real news comes about we know nothing more then a bunch of rumors/speculations/assumptions. At this point it does seem clear that he will most likely go to free agency maybe even if his intentions are to stay here he is one of the top ufa's on the market he would be a shmuck if he did not go to free agency july 5th and see what his actual worth is.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#22 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I mean, I'd probably do Tallinder-Gelinas-Hedberg for Grabner.  Not sure they would, but Grabner would be a great fit on the 3rd line.

You just want to twist the knife in Vancouver don't you?

I'm here for the party

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

everything on clarkson is nothing more then a bunch of assumptions.. no one here knows clarkson so with out speaking to the guy you have no idea how he feels or whats going threw his mind.. with out anything really being leaked no one knows lou either so we have absolutely zero idea of what has been offered to him.. all lou has said is that hes been working hard to re sign our ufa's thats it.. no one knows what the leafs real intentions are or if they even want clarkson as bad as to be speculated.. until some real news comes about we know nothing more then a bunch of rumors/speculations/assumptions. At this point it does seem clear that he will most likely go to free agency maybe even if his intentions are to stay here he is one of the top ufa's on the market he would be a shmuck if he did not go to free agency july 5th and see what his actual worth is.

Both Clarkson's and the Devils' camp have stated that the Devils have not offered anything in terms of actual salary numbers.  It has nothing to do with being a mind reader. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Both Clarkson's and the Devils' camp have stated that the Devils have not offered anything in terms of actual salary numbers.  It has nothing to do with being a mind reader.

makes me think.. if the devils dont want to lose one of their players why would they still have gone this long with out trying to offer some type of a deal
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

This exactly. There have been no offers.

They are going to see what Clarkson commands on the open market. With buyouts and a falling cap, there's a chance that the money won't be out there to drive up a bidding war for Clarkson, meaning his chance of re-signing here for a reasonable price is higher. It's almost as if Lou knows what he's doing.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#26 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

This exactly. There have been no offers.

They are going to see what Clarkson commands on the open market. With buyouts and a falling cap, there's a chance that the money won't be out there to drive up a bidding war for Clarkson, meaning his chance of re-signing here for a reasonable price is higher. It's almost as if Lou knows what he's doing.

ahh i understand better now. Finally some logical thoughts
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#27 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's almost as if Lou knows what he's doing.

Bullsh!t!

I do believe I've heard everything now...

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#28 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Magnus Paajarvi. I believe he has excellent potential to be Grabner type 3rd liner.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#29 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Magnus Paajarvi. I believe he has excellent potential to be Grabner type 3rd liner.

I would love that, but the Oilers aren't parting with him for peanuts.

#30 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Before the season ended, I had hopes of Stalberg and Raymond filling holes in the Devils' lineup. I still think they would be decent acquisitions, but they aren't "goal scorers" in the traditional sense. Stalberg can produce but I see him as more of a Zubrus player (thought he'd be signed of Zubie walked). I like Raymond's speed, and he can score at times too, but from what I've seen (albeit limited amounts) he doesn't have the same puck possession skills as Stalberg.

Ryder fits the bill of a more traditional scoring forward, but I imagine he'll have a number of suitors.

Long way of saying I'd be thrilled and over the moon if the Devils acquired one of Stalberg or Raymond, and made a move to bolster offense via trading a defender. My favorite pipe dream is acquiring Jamie McGinn from Colorado. Flip a defender + prospect to Colorado for McGinn, take back a bad contract like Greg Zanon and buy him out (Trent Hunter style), and head into the season with a mega-shooter on the wing.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#31 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

too bad MacT's running the show there and doesn't seem nearly stupid enough to just give him away

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#32 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils
Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left. I love hearing there's a sense of urgency here from Lou. I'm hoping we lock Schneider up before the start of next season.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#33 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

that grabner trade is intriguing.

would still prefer to sign briere and stalberg.

henrique-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-briere

stalberg-josefson-zubrus

carter-gionta-bernier

i could dig it.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#34 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils
Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left. I love hearing there's a sense of urgency here from Lou. I'm hoping we lock Schneider up before the start of next season.

I hope so too. Hopefully he gets the starting role this year in whatever way, otherwise I dunno why he'd re-sign here

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Salary commitments are likely to be an issue.  Right now the Devils have $50M in salary committed counting Dainius Zubrus.  To me they're going to be capped around $60M.  I think they subtract Hedberg somehow - if it's via buyout, that's a $1M or so discount this year.  I think they trade a defenseman, that's $3M or so.  But I don't see many other sources of savings.  Figure between $5M and $6M for Elias, that leaves $8-9M for Josefson/Henrique + other possible upgrades - that's not a lot of money.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I don't get why everyone wants Horton so bad. He is David Clarkson, why not be loyal to a guy who's given us his all as long as he's been here. And I bet Clarky's price tag is much cheaper. If we lose out on Clarky, I'd like to see us replace him with double the skill.

because Horton is much better than Clarkson. They play the same way but Horton is much more effective and has way better hockey sense.

#37 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Salary commitments are likely to be an issue.  Right now the Devils have $50M in salary committed counting Dainius Zubrus.  To me they're going to be capped around $60M.  I think they subtract Hedberg somehow - if it's via buyout, that's a $1M or so discount this year.  I think they trade a defenseman, that's $3M or so.  But I don't see many other sources of savings.  Figure between $5M and $6M for Elias, that leaves $8-9M for Josefson/Henrique + other possible upgrades - that's not a lot of money.

It's kind of ugly when you think about it because outside of Kovy and Elias, we have no goal scores... and Kovy has become a defensive forward

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#38 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

A lot of our money is tied up on average D. That and the fact that we have a log jam at defense which is preventing our youth from making the jump to the NHL makes it even more dire that we move a defensemen. Idk if it will happen, but it's painfully obvious that we need to.

#39 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Tallinder, Fayne, Gelinas, Santini, Scarlett or Urbom can be traded for a young forward (Hemsky)

If we're getting a more established young player, Merrill or Severson (Pajaarvi)

If we're getting a Seguin type, Larsson.

Look at all that talent right there

Edited by SMantzas, 01 July 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

OK -- I think I can relax now - we're all thinking along the same lines.  No one wants to go nuts with a flashy scorer. The board hasn't been this realistic or down to earth on the whole in eons!

I rest and go back to life as I know it without clacking away on a message board... 

sleep.gif

but I dont sleep in native buff...

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users