40 replies to this topic

#21 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

yeah that was hopeful thinking more than anything haha even at 4.5/5 it leave us with a nice cap space.

I do not see Zid returning, he will just command too much. Its a shame because I am a big Zid fan. We waited years to get a PMD like him.

Only way I see him taking a slight pay cut is the fact Elias will return and they are good friends.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#22 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

I do not see Zid returning, he will just command too much. Its a shame because I am a big Zid fan. We waited years to get a PMD like him.

Only way I see him taking a slight pay cut is the fact Elias will return and they are good friends.

maybe juste mayyyyybe depending how how long elias re-sign that we could have him cheaper but would have to offer an extra year which most people won't be a big fan of... but i could see Zid wanting to finish his career here with Elias. Gotta think that out of all teams in the league he said he'd want to play here when he was still in Minny. Who knows... 

www.SterioDesign.com

#23 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Can't quibble too much as long as Deboer doesn't overuse him and force him into situations where he can't succeed.  Deboer clearly took a liking to him.

I'd be stunned if Tallinder is back next season.  Hopefully Lou can find a taker.  I'd be stunned if Buffalo didn't have at least a mild interest in him again considering it's just a 1 year commitment and just to see if he can help right Myers a bit as a last resort.

Someone is definitely getting moved from the D-corps and it's looking really unlikely Zidlicky is coming back, otherwise I'd expect to see someone else like Fayne possibly getting dealt too on top of a Tallinder.

Should be an interesting week ahead.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

I like Harrold as the 7th D but I'm nervous they'll find a way to bring back Zidlicky or another vet D that they don't need. No reason to keep 8 D when the F group is lacking in scoring. I won't be holding my breath for a trade.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I liked Harrold and think he deserved another contract from us. It being a 2-way makes it an even better one to swallow; if we don't need him, I think the guys in Albany can learn a lot from him.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

I like Harrold as the 7th D but I'm nervous they'll find a way to bring back Zidlicky or another vet D that they don't need. No reason to keep 8 D when the F group is lacking in scoring. I won't be holding my breath for a trade.

Zidlicky isn't someone that they don't need - if he (or someone else like him) isn't brought back, they'll miss him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Zidlicky isn't someone that they don't need - if he (or someone else like him) isn't brought back, they'll miss him.

This has me split. Like you say, we will miss Zid if he isn't re-signed. Someone else said it earlier, but we've been waiting for a d-man like Zid who can move the puck and put up points since Rafalsk, then Martin left. We don't have someone who can be that player right now. Harrold is a good 7th d-man, solid guy, but he's not gonna light it up and if he's playing the point on our 1st PP, we'll all be screaming at the TV a lot next year.

Maybe Gelinas or Merrill is ready to make the jump to the NHL and put up a few points, but to count on that would be insane, so without Zid, we're going to be missing that type of player in our defensive corps.

#28 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

zid the defender is worthless, zid the forward may be something to look at.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#29 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I've seen other people mention this, so you're certainly not alone in thinking that.

My take on moving Zidlicky to forward is that it makes no sense for anyone involved.  There is no reason to think Zidlicky helps a team more at forward than defenseman.  There's no evidence Zidlcky plays forward well at all and really no information to go on that would let us know if he can play forward well.

So you take a guy that have value at defense, you have to sign him to his defenseman value, and then convert him to a forward where if you're lucky he retiains the same value but, much more likely, you've now have someone who kind of stinks that you're paying a decent amount of money for.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Zidlicky needs to continue to be paired with a complementary player like Salvador to be effective at both ends.

Even if he re-signs, Harrold should get more playing time, especially on the PP.  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Is LL really going to go into the seaosn with all these dmen??  wish he would amnesty Vol & Tal....

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#32 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Is LL really going to go into the seaosn with all these dmen??  wish he would amnesty Vol & Tal....

Volch should be bought out. Tally should be part of a trade.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#33 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Dont agree with buying out Anton now. He's still a potential asset for us. I also think someone would bite if he was willing to waive his NTC. Tallinder is absolutely tradeable. We have a long way to go before the season starts. Not worried about the glut of D right now.

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Dont agree with buying out Anton now. He's still a potential asset for us. I also think someone would bite if he was willing to waive his NTC. Tallinder is absolutely tradeable. We have a long way to go before the season starts. Not worried about the glut of D right now.

I agree with everything you said and buying out Volch is meaningless to me because he's not great, but his replacement likely won't be better by all that much, if at all.

I just don't want to see 8 D again come start of the season. If we have to move Tallinder for picks, so be it, if we're not gonna play him, wtf is the point in keeping him? Might as well just save the $3M and call it a day. We could use an extra 2nd rd pick since we don't have a 1st. And if we're gonna wait until deadline time to see if that will pump up his value, then I'm still lost because we could have done the same thing last year. Not like that 2nd year was a killer at $3.375.

We got Urbom, Merrill and Gelinas, Urbom being the farthest along in his development and terms of games played at the pro level. One of these guys has to be given at least a shot at staking claim to an NHL roster spot. At this rate, in a couple years, we might as well just tell Albany to say fvck it to putting forwards out there and just throw 20 D on a team. I mean seriously, what's the ratio of D prospects to F prospects we got that might be in Albany next year?

You got:

Urbom
Merrill
Gelinas

Helgeson

Scarlett

Severson

Burlon

That's 7 D right there, all NJ prospects.

For forwards, we have:

Boucher

Matteau

Teddy

We all know Teddy has a make or break season ahead of him. If he can't crack the NHL by the end of the season, he's toast.

Am I forgetting anybody?

#35 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't feel like Zidlicky's offense outweighs his absolutely atrocious defense. Plus, the Devils PP still sucked with him. I feel like he ends up doing more harm than good. If Lou brings him back and creates the 8 D logjam again, I hope he moves Tallinder or Fayne, out of respect for the player.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

I agree with everything you said and buying out Volch is meaningless to me because he's not great, but his replacement likely won't be better by all that much, if at all.
I just don't want to see 8 D again come start of the season. If we have to move Tallinder for picks, so be it, if we're not gonna play him, wtf is the point in keeping him? Might as well just save the $3M and call it a day. We could use an extra 2nd rd pick since we don't have a 1st. And if we're gonna wait until deadline time to see if that will pump up his value, then I'm still lost because we could have done the same thing last year. Not like that 2nd year was a killer at $3.375.
We got Urbom, Merrill and Gelinas, Urbom being the farthest along in his development and terms of games played at the pro level. One of these guys has to be given at least a shot at staking claim to an NHL roster spot. At this rate, in a couple years, we might as well just tell Albany to say fvck it to putting forwards out there and just throw 20 D on a team. I mean seriously, what's the ratio of D prospects to F prospects we got that might be in Albany next year?
You got:

Urbom
Merrill
Gelinas
Helgeson
Scarlett
Severson
Burlon

That's 7 D right there, all NJ prospects.
For forwards, we have:
Boucher
Matteau
Teddy

We all know Teddy has a make or break season ahead of him. If he can't crack the NHL by the end of the season, he's toast.
Am I forgetting anybody?

He's at least 3 years away (so is Scarlett btw), but I'm warming to Santini, as I've read up on him a little more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#37 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Honestly, Zidlicky is a legitimate 2nd line RW...

#38 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Just my opinion, but I don't feel like Zidlicky's offense outweighs his absolutely atrocious defense. Plus, the Devils PP still sucked with him. I feel like he ends up doing more harm than good. If Lou brings him back and creates the 8 D logjam again, I hope he moves Tallinder or Fayne, out of respect for the player.

I'm fighting this internally as well.  I just dont know what's going on in the locker room enough to know if keeping him is good.  He's not quite merely a luxury piece.  Someone has to teach offensive D.  We have defensive D -- defensive EVERYTHING.  But I dont know... I can't see the full picture.  :rant:  dang it all... 

<_< pro'ly woudn't know what to do with the full picture if I had it anyhow...

I'm here for the party

#39 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

<_< pro'ly woudn't know what to do with the full picture if I had it anyhow...

Drawing mustache on people face... always a good idea.

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Drawing mustache on people face... always a good idea.

Indeed!  That reminds... I have to go back to my Hercule Poirot obsession -- so much easier than hockey and wastes far less time.

Poirot_scott.jpg

Ronald S. Poirot.... hmm.... "zee leetle gray ice particles"

Edited by Pepperkorn, 03 July 2013 - 10:11 AM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users