311 replies to this topic

#181 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Two years in a row Lou has broken my heart. I understand and support the move but god dammit this sh!t sucks

i feel the same exact way man.. i loved clarkson. fvcking sucks. just ruined my damn day
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#182 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

@DarrenDreger: 7 years, $36.75 for Clarkson and Leafs. Ltd no-trade and no-move clause.

Edited by Devils731, 05 July 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#183 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Limited NTC and limited NMC on Clarkson's 7 year deal worth $5.25M per year with TOR. .

#184 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

This is a hilarious overpayment, both in length and per year.  Devils were 100% right not to sign him to that kind of money.  That one has "bad contract" written all over it.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#185 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

I doubt I'll boo him. I'll feel the same way I've always felt about him...apathetic. Glad he's gone.

believe-devs.jpg

#186 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

I understand your point, but Bobby was always a good player - I dont think the Devils can take credit for that.  The only loss for the Devils is that he would have been a great captain and vet here - mutually beneficial for everyone.  The way it went down - no real loss for the Devils.  And end of a fulfilling career for Bob.

Clarkson wasn't going to be any great shakes here.  Hence no stupid deal.  He won't be great shakes in Toronto but thank the lord he'll have a great life.  Party-time may be over --- or else he risks losing what he worked for in his personal life.  This is perfect - he's sewed up his earning years -- he WILL earn and there's no risk for him.  Man, his whole career has been on the line for long enough - busting his ass and living in fear that he wouldn't make it.  Now it's a done deal and he doesn't even have to pull up stakes - he can relax where he wants to be.  It's like the Parise move if anything and luckily David doesn't have those Cup ambitions Zach will always have burning. 

I'm really happy for him where I was really sorry for Holik.  I still am sorry for all that Holik lost.  Money doesn't make up for that.  and no one wants to hear about hockey from him now because of that stupid deal.  If he'd stayed here he'd have been free to blather all over the NHL and he'd be a proven leader so his word would have been the gosple he thinks it is.  It just sucks for him.  But he's got enough money so he can shoot at Lou photo targets and weep softly blame it on the beautiful vista from his porch.   Yeah sure you always wanted to be a rancher... sure. :rolleyes:

Well put...Holik was a traitor though since he knew what you wrote and went for the money with our enemy... Clarkson is doing what actually makes the most sense

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#187 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

wonder if there's a "No Buyout Clause" in his contract?

www.SterioDesign.com

#188 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

This is a hilarious overpayment, both in length and per year. Devils were 100% right not to sign him to that kind of money. That one has "bad contract" written all over it.

Especially in a high pressure environment like Toronto. A couple of bad games and the media will start to flip. I hope for his sake he scores on opening night.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 05 July 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#189 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha - This is especially bad considering how many bad contracts have been given out the last few years - you'd think they would have learned.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#190 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Good bye Bobby Holik 2.0.  I'll miss you constantly falling down and putting shots into the goalie's chest protector.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#191 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Especially in a high pressure environment like Toronto. A couple of bad games and the media will start to flip. I hope for his sake he scores on opening night.

Like I've always maintained...signing the deal and doing the lovefest press conference intros are the easy part.  Then comes that little thing called "earning the money", especially in a high-pressure environment like Toronto.  Clarkson saw first-hand how tough it was for Kovalchuk in that first year of his deal, when he struggled early on in 2010-11.  I'm guessing double, probably triple, that in Toronto if Clarkson doesn't get out of the gate fast. 

Nothing against David in the slightest though, it's clearly the place he wanted to be, and he's getting silly dollars to be there...can't say I blame him for taking the deal.  But I sure think Toronto was idiotic for giving it to him. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#192 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

I won't. Clarkson will never have another chance to make this money.

#193 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Well, I would've like for Clarkson to return, but this had the same feel of Parise a year ago.  I'm not going to put down other teams for offerring money.  I'm a believer that you're worth what people are willing to pay.  Good for him.  Personally, I'm not convinced that Clarkson will re[licate what he did here.  The one thing that DID bother me, were the quotes attributed to Clarkson's agent earlier in the week.  It was clear to me then, that Clarkson wasn't coming back. 

#194 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Remember just because he signed with the Leafs for this money wouldn't have ment he'd give us the same discount but who really knows in the end

#195 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

I know -- that's what just hit me.  This is one of the nicest sincerest players to fans.  Leaf fans do not deserve him - they'll slaughter him and he'll have to hole up on the dressing room, and sound loop "no comment" for on his way to his car.  Well - that's where the life lesson is - not so much the hockey but human behavior. I think he'll be sheltered from it for the most part once the leafs make a stupid super star signing.  See THIS is where he needed the Suter buddy signing antic.

I'm here for the party

#196 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Man the claws come out quickly...

I will say this, the Clowe contract looks like a great deal now!!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#197 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm glad he's gone, I just wish we didn't sign Clowe to that bad contract

#198 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

dreger is reporting that Michael Ryder is deciding between BOS and NJ

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#199 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm glad he's gone, I just wish we didn't sign Clowe to that bad contract

Someone had to take clarkson's spot though.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#200 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

dreger is reporting that Michael Ryder is deciding between BOS and NJ

orly?  that'd be interesting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users