311 replies to this topic

#221 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Clarkson: "In my heart, being close to home and wearing that (Tor) jersey meant a lot to me... In my heart this is where I wanted to me."

glad Lou didnt figure out all of that and that he would ask WAY TOO MUCH to even consider keeping him. right?

www.SterioDesign.com

#222 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Clarkson: "In my heart, being close to home and wearing that (Tor) jersey meant a lot to me... In my heart this is where I wanted to me."

glad Lou didnt figure out all of that and that he would ask WAY TOO MUCH to even consider keeping him. right?

I guess Ottawa and Edmonton should've figured that out yesterday, since he met with them

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#223 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I guess Ottawa and Edmonton should've figured that out yesterday, since he met with them

well they didnt lose anything other than some time.

www.SterioDesign.com

#224 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

You know he would have made a similar speech no matter where he went, right? 

well they didnt lose anything other than some time.

The Devils didn't lose anything either. Clowe fills the spot nicely and can pass a puck. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#225 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hah, can't say this is a surprise. This is one of those instances where I am very glad the Devils did not try and match or best this deal. Terrible contract for sure. Clarkson was an okay player and a great guy, and it's a shame that he had to move on. But at that money and term length, forget it. I would bet good money that that contract gets bought out well before it concludes. This has disaster written all over it. I almost feel bad for Clarkson considering how much Leafs Nation is going to hate him in a couple years (at least). But he got his money, so I don't feel that bad for him.

#226 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

They really didnt though. They didn't have to give up Zibanejad. It was a pretty fair deal really considering what Ryan gives Ottawa.

(Until 2015).

#227 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Bye bye Clarkson. Can't say I'll miss you falling all over the ice and never being able to find your better positioned teammates and instead putting it on the goalie's chest. Moving on..

believe-3devils.jpg

#228 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

clarkson on now on nhl network

"i pretended to be wendell clark when i was little"

#229 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I can't bad mouth him. He was one of my favorite players. Not for his goals, but for his personality. He played with heart, good personality, just a likeable guy. Sad to see him go, and wish him nothing but the best. And thank god we didn't offer him that contract!

#230 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

finally..now we don't have to hear about Clarkson leaving anymore. Thanks for the years, David, good luck back home. 

#231 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Cant hate on this guy. 

Clarkson: "My daughter was born in NJ. Mr. Lamoriello is someone I'd do anything for. I had a coach in Pete DeBoer I grew up with."

#232 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Very true,  this is a guy who went home with class.  He actually tugs at the heart strings more than Parise.  We did replace him with a cheaper replacement.  I wish Clarky all the best.  It actually bugs me a little more than Parise because of we picked him up undrafted and he made it.  Devils are known for finding undrafted talent like Greene or Clarkson.  Sucks to see him go, but all the best to Clarky in TOR

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#233 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Cant hate on this guy. 

Clarkson: "My daughter was born in NJ. Mr. Lamoriello is someone I'd do anything for. I had a coach in Pete DeBoer I grew up with."

You absolutely can! Just insert "So I moved out of New Jersey" to the end of what he's saying and it doesn't sound so heartfelt and sweet anymore
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#234 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Oh please, knew something predictably annoying was coming from you on this one. 

Oh wait...let me guess...if only Lou had made him an offer last offseason, then he would've known conclusively that Clarkson would've wanted a 7-year deal worth $36.25 million and could've traded him for something ahead of time so Lou wouldn't be left with nothing.  That's about what you come up with (or some variation of) when you're going into Johnny One-Note mode. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#235 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

You absolutely can! Just insert "So I moved out of New Jersey" to the end of what he's saying and it doesn't sound so heartfelt and sweet anymore

Nah, with the possibility of playing at home and a sh!tload of money... Hard to say no. I mean, I know you could probably say the same about Parise, but Clarkson at least didn't pull a BFF out of his butt to sign there and, let's face it - losing Zach was much more devastating for the club, so we were all mad at him. Clarkson you CAN keep, but you don't have to.

Edited by Revan, 05 July 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#236 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I can't bad mouth him. He was one of my favorite players. Not for his goals, but for his personality. He played with heart, good personality, just a likeable guy. Sad to see him go, and wish him nothing but the best. And thank god we didn't offer him that contract!

That nicely sums up how I feel about it. He's a good guy. I appreciated his effort with the Devils both on the ice and off. But I'm glad Lou didn't overpay to keep him. No hard feelings.

#237 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

clarkson on now on nhl network

"i pretended to be wendell clark when i was little"

And no kid will pretend to be him.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#238 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Per TG

Clarkson said he was unaware Lamoriello had turned page on re-signing him Sunday and hadn't closed door on NJ return til choosing TOR today.

hahaha Lou totally pulled a "no its not you leaving me, its me leaving you" on Clarky

per TG 

Clarkson wouldn't get into specifics said Lamoriello made "a good offer" and a team offered more money than Toronto.

WHAT !?!?!

www.SterioDesign.com

#239 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

per TG 

Clarkson wouldn't get into specifics said Lamoriello made "a good offer" and a team offered more money than Toronto.

WHAT !?!?!

No sh!t, right!? It was probably Philly or NYR. Good for him going home and all. It's a shame, cuz he was just getting used to standing on skates.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#240 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

oilers apparently offered an arm and a leg but he chose toronto.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users