Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

can_tsun.jpg?w=550&h=612

BAHAAA!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#263 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I wonder if Marty will FedEx the Andrew Peters card to Clarky up in Toronto. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#264 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

That Clarkson pic is just...man, I'm gonna feel kinda sorry for him in a year or two.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#265 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Clarkson will be a hero, he'll be visiting with Don Cherry after games, and the Leafs will be bad, and it won't matter.

I mean yeah there's more pressure in Toronto than a lot of other places, but I'll never forget when Wendel Clark got a standing ovation for hitting the post with a shot - that's how I think Toronto fans feel about their team.

This may be true for the first season. Once they realize they didn't get a 30 goal per year power forward and instead got a 15 goal a year guy who can't skate or use his teammates, it won't be pretty. 

Think of his last 30-something games this season. That won't fly when the honeymoon is over.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#266 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Clarkson is NOT Wendel Clark...if the Leaf faithful think that's what they've got in Clarkson, they're going to be sorely disappointed.  The only thing Clarkson has on Clark is a better ability to stay healthy.  Clark missed a lot of games, but when he did play, he was a hell of a player...there's a reason he went #1 overall in his draft class.  For Clarkson's sake, I hope the fans will let him be David Clarkson.   

And one other thing about Wendel Clark...was it me or did that poor guy seem to be 35 years old from the age of 23 on?  Seemed like that guy was never young!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 06 July 2013 - 11:22 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#267 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Anyone think it kind of speaks volumes to our player development/scouting programs that two years in a row we had the number one free agent, and two years in a row we willingly let them walk? In a good way I mean, I don't think there's a team in the NHL that identifies talent better than Lou and Conte

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#268 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,491 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Pretty sure almost everyone on this board feels the same way. Good Devil, but just got overpaid

A lot more positive things coming in after I wrote that. But wasn't so nice in the pages before. Happy the tone is different than with past players leaving. 

And one other thing about Wendel Clark...was it me or did that poor guy seem to be 35 years old from the age of 23 on?  Seemed like that guy was never young!

Wow, this is so true. Wendel Clark retired at 33, just a few years older than David is now. I can't remember ever watching Wendel and thinking he was younger than 35-36. I'm blown away. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 July 2013 - 12:41 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#269 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have been scouring the Leafs boards the last couple days and as far as I can see, no one expects Clarkson to score 30 goals or even 25. One may argue that board members are more esoterically minded than most fans but nonetheless they do represent a good-sized sample of Maple Leaf fandom. They are an educated (if primitive :P ) fanbase - most of the Leaf fans are extremely discontented with this signing. They are cursing and yelling and are generally upset that David Clarkson got as much money as Lupul. Those who are in favor of Clarkson (I'd say %20-%30) are arguing what you'd expect, that Clarkson bring more to his game than goals, that he is a rare type of player who will do anything for the team and brings a strong presence to the ice.

Now with that said, I certainly don't think it's going to be a shock to anyone when Clarkson scores 15 goals and he will be given a pass in the statistical categories. I think he will be given some leeway for awhile because of his personality and like-ability but as soon as the Maple Leafs suck it will be hell for Clarkson. With certainty I would say that when (if) Toronto is 15 points out of the playoffs the fans will not forget that he has a giant contract. I think his hometown status will give him a pass for about 3 games and then the cutesy, sentimental crap will dissolve. And if Toronto sucks AND Kessel leaves, Clarkie won't be able to find a hole big enough to hide in, whether he scores 3 or 30 goals.

If Toronto wins then all will be golden. That's the crux of it - it's all about scapegoating - it's not about the fans not knowing what kind of player Clarkson is or whether he actually plays well or not. Sometimes we forget that we Devils fans don't know everything that others don't- Toronto fans know they overpaid and they will rain down hell if the team tanks. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#270 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Clarkson tried to make up with effort with what he lacked in talent. This led to his faults as well as his attractiveness. All those offsides on breakaways, missed passes to open teammate s, he tried hard to make up with the predictable wraparound shots. I'll miss him, a bit.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#271 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Clarkson tried to make up with effort with what he lacked in talent. This led to his faults as well as his attractiveness. All those offsides on breakaways, missed passes to open teammate s, he tried hard to make up with the predictable wraparound shots. I'll miss him, a bit.

I like this. I hope they just love him for being him. I'd actually really respect the leads more if they kind of embraced the hockey of it all. It's not for me, but I sure can appreciate the thought.

I'm here for the party

#272 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Bad contract, but I wish Clarkie the best. He did a lot of great things for us over the years. Hopefully he doesn't fvck up too badly in Toronto.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#273 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is really bumming me out now. Can this get unpinned now?

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#274 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Clarky would be great on the "Crash Line".....but he's gone and they dont exist anymore.

#275 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

Packing away the Clarkson jersey for 7 years exactly, he'll be back,

#276 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Wow, this is so true. Wendel Clark retired at 33, just a few years older than David is now. I can't remember ever watching Wendel and thinking he was younger than 35-36. I'm blown away. 

Part of it was that he always had a mustache, and lost a good bit of his hair pretty early...he usually had some stubble going along with the 'stache, so that all helped to make him look a good bit older than he really was.  But his game was just so physical...every night, or so it seemed, his body was either taking or dishing out a serious pounding...and he was always battling injuries...I think all of that just combined to age him faster.  He played a game that was bigger than his body was too...he was only 5' 11" and 200 lbs, but didn't back down from anyone.  By the time he reached his late 20s, you felt like you were watching a guy who was in his late 30s and who'd been playing in the NHL for 15 years.  His game really took a toll on his body...I wonder how he feels now.   

Check out this clip...it's one of Clark's best-known moments...hard to believe that Clark was only 26 years old when you see him:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TacPPXaNI9A

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 July 2013 - 06:44 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#277 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

David Clarkson's #leafs contract is unique (as per @capgeek) -- $9M of $36.75M gets paid in salary; rest is bonus.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/780

www.SterioDesign.com

#278 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

Tyler Dellow thinks that's to make the contract difficult to buy out, as some signing bonuses are unrefundable.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#279 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Tyler Dellow thinks that's to make the contract difficult to buy out, as some signing bonuses are unrefundable.

which is really good in that case for Clarkson lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#280 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm going to miss the Clark-A-Round...and I am going to miss the 1 or 2 exciting times a year when he actually scored with one. Also, no more David Clarkson on the ice when the team is down with less than 2 minutes left in the game for me to complain about seconds before he ties it on some lame weak shot. lol. Wait, now I'm sad. :(

815631765.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users