311 replies to this topic

#41 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Clarkson at anything more than $4.5 mil/year screams lunacy to me.  I'm not even that comfortable with that much.  Even if the Devils don't sign a similar player immediately, I'd rather that than Clarkson being signed to "being scared to lose him overpay" money. 

My guess is that's exactly what Lou offered ($4.5m) and the agent is waiting for Toronto's deal.

#42 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

"@ToddCordell: Holy smokes. That's too much. MT @MikeInBuffalo Dreger speculated $6 to $6.5 M for Clarkson."

#43 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Haha wow.  fvck.  That.

Enjoy those greener pastures Clarkson.  I'll be happy to see him walk at 6.5m per.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#44 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

Looks like I'll be curled up in a blanket, crying all day and watching Clarky highlights. Two summers in a row. I can't take this heart break Lou
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#45 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Looks like I'll be curled up in a blanket, crying all day and watching Clarky highlights. Two summers in a row. I can't take this heart break Lou

do you *want* to pay a guy who's never put up 50 points in a season 6million? Nooooooooo thanks. Only a team as dumb as the Leafs would give him that and they'll wanna run him out of town when they see how inept a first liner he would be

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Clarkson highlights are the way he looks like a $5M or $6M player.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

wow Clarkson's agent sounds like a douche, well maybe not but that quote is rubbing me the wrong way.

http://blogs.northje...n_devils_offer/

And Clarkson could have very well been facing life without the NHL had Lou not given him a chance.  One word:  undrafted.

I know this is the agent talking, but man does he sound like the stereotype of so many agents...just an annoying, wormy little zilch who took his share of playground pummelings as a youth. 

Do your job, get your client the best contract, I get that part of it, but don't be a dick.  That approach may work with some GMs, but it definitely isn't going to get it done with Lou.  Just ask Gilles Lupien. 

fvck the agent and fvck Clarkson. If that's how they're gonna treat this, they can hit the bricks. 'Economic peril'? 'Life without David'? Suck my fvcking balls Pat Morris, you little cocksucker.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#48 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

"@ToddCordell: Holy smokes. That's too much. MT @MikeInBuffalo Dreger speculated $6 to $6.5 M for Clarkson."

HAHAHAA!!!!  Have fun with that contract Toronto.  Although I will definitely miss the Clarkaround and him tripping over the blueline every time we entered the offensive zone, it isn't worth $6 million/season. 

Seriously liked Clarkson because he brings a lot to the table, but F that!

Posted Image

#49 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm going to :lol: pretty hard if this was all just posturing, and he resigns here for like 4-4.5 after we've all been bashing him

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#50 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I liked him. But that is superstar money so cya clarky

#51 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

I haven't seen that rumor anywhere (I know Dreger does a lot of TV and radio this time of year), so let's grain of salt that one.

#52 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

This screams of a Marty Lapointe type deal for Clarkson based on one great year. Clarkson does a lot of good things, and the Devils will miss him, but I don't think you can justify giving him the amount of money he probably gets on the open market. I bet Lou gave him a fair deal, but a deal that will be blown away come tomorrow.

I feel bad for him in a way because life is surely going to be miserable for him if he goes anywhere in Canada and underachieves (which he surely will).

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#53 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

And we're forgetting that Matteau can possibly replace Clarkson in the future. Maybe not next season, but certainly a hell of a lot cheaper over the next 5-7 years. Clarky brought some great locker room/character intangibles, but considering he wasn't much before DeBoer, I'm completely fine with this. Now let's hope the Devils sign a real scorer.

Can't believe Clarkson's agent would make comments like that. David has so much respect for Lou and the Devils that I wouldn't be surprised if he yells at his agent about this. Not the way you want leave

Clarkson played well before Deboer. He had a real good year in 09-10 with 24 points in 46 games. He just struggled the next year and Lemaire buried him on the 4th line after that.

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

fvck the agent and fvck Clarkson. If that's how they're gonna treat this, they can hit the bricks. 'Economic peril'? 'Life without David'? Suck my fvcking balls Pat Morris, you little cocksucker.

Clarkson's fast becoming the one big-name FA I don't give a **** about leaving. PK wasn't wrong when she said you find out about a guy's character when he gets to FA, and it isn't always predicated on whether the guy stays or leaves, but why. This is becoming as ugly as any exit since Holik.

Not to mention yes he is a limited player, even more limited considering his physical play has been curbed a bit the last two years by his 'scoring touch'. Problem with the rationale that at least we aren't overpaying him, we'll wind up overpaying SOMEONE to replace him. So either way it's the same difference.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#55 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Let's get real here.

1. If you were in Clarkson's situation you'd see what numbers get thrown at you. I am guessing that $50, 000 is a lot of money to most people. David is talking millions.
2. If there was any hint your employer MAY have financial issues, then you would certainly be exploring the market.
3. The Devils haven't given their best offer yet. Classic Lou at work.
4. Anyone that doesn't believe David is a huge part of this team is delusional. I am not saying he worth crazy numbers, but let's be honest with ourselves, he is worth every bit of 4.5-5. We just signed Zubes for 3.1.(not a knock on #8)
5. Who is scoring goals on this team? Unless Lou goes buck wild, last season might look like the 84 Oilers offense.
6. For better or worse you know what you have in guys that have been on your roster. Why is Boston shopping Seguin? Seems the kid likes to party more than play. It' always buyer beware.
7. Clarky should fire that agent, not because of the douchey comments, but because his agent should be saying that the Devils put out an unbelievable offer that other teams are really gonna have to work at to match.
8. If he leaves he will get paid, but his hockey career may become not as enjoyable and only David knows what means more to him. Going home to Toronto may be his dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Seeing a confirmation now on Twitter of Dreger reporting that Clarkson could get 7 years, 6.5MM per.  Hahaha.  If something like that happens it is a classic case of NHL GMs thinking that a rare talent is eo ipso a valuable one.

#57 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

If the Devils sign Clarkson to a 7 year, $6.5 mil per contract I will probably get pretty pissed off for a few hours :lol: but good for Clarkson if he can get it. Clarkson works hard and seems a good guy so I just hope the Devils don't pay him those crazy numbers.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#58 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

If those figures are even close to true he can jog on. Which is a shame because i really like him and how his game has developed.

To be honest i expected this, he seems to get ahead of himself and thinks is better than he actually is. His play reflects that, when he plays simple he is effective, then he gets confident, tries to be something he is not and then goes cold and has to go back to basics.

This is possibly his last big contract as well so you know his agent is going to push for big $$$$.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#59 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

I will add one thing: David Clarkson should take all the money he can get. I usually think most athletes should, but Clarkson is a perfect example of one that needs to. He is almost 30 and only made about $10 million in salary in his career. This will probably be his last NHL contract...definitely his last of any consequence. He set himself up nicely for free agency, and now he should go and get paid. I'm never going to be pissed when any athlete goes where the money is no matter what you think the franchise has done for an individual or not. No one should feel obligated to take much less than they deserve.

Edited by devilsrule33, 02 July 2013 - 11:37 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#60 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Let's get real here.

1. If you were in Clarkson's situation you'd see what numbers get thrown at you. I am guessing that $50, 000 is a lot of money to most people. David is talking millions.
2. If there was any hint your employer MAY have financial issues, then you would certainly be exploring the market.
3. The Devils haven't given their best offer yet. Classic Lou at work.
4. Anyone that doesn't believe David is a huge part of this team is delusional. I am not saying he worth crazy numbers, but let's be honest with ourselves, he is worth every bit of 4.5-5. We just signed Zubes for 3.1.(not a knock on #8)
5. Who is scoring goals on this team? Unless Lou goes buck wild, last season might look like the 84 Oilers offense.
6. For better or worse you know what you have in guys that have been on your roster. Why is Boston shopping Seguin? Seems the kid likes to party more than play. It' always buyer beware.
7. Clarky should fire that agent, not because of the douchey comments, but because his agent should be saying that the Devils put out an unbelievable offer that other teams are really gonna have to work at to match.
8. If he leaves he will get paid, but his hockey career may become not as enjoyable and only David knows what means more to him. Going home to Toronto may be his dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

i agree with 100% of what you said there buddy.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users