311 replies to this topic

#61 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

I will add one thing: David Clarkson should take all the money he can get. I usually think most athletes should, but Clarkson is a perfect example of one. He is almost 30 and only made about $10 million in salary in his career. This will probably be his last NHL contract...definitely his last of any consequence. He set himself up nicely for free agency, and now he should go and get paid. I'm never going to be pissed when any athlete goes where the money is no matter what you think the franchise has done for an individual or not. No one should feel obligated to take much less than they deserve.

yeah it turned out really good career wize for guys like Gomez, Luongo, dipietro, Bryzgalov, Redden, etc etc etc etc It litterally DESTROYED their career not because t hey couldnt play but because they signed for a lot more than what they could ever give. Its fine when you sign it but i heard a few of them admitting regretting signing those contracts. 

I know its easy to say that million of dollar would make you happy and that they shouldnt wine on their faith but a lot of them are feeling miserable and stressed all year long. And thats not a way to live.

Edited by SterioDesign, 02 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#62 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Let's get real here.

1. If you were in Clarkson's situation you'd see what numbers get thrown at you. I am guessing that $50, 000 is a lot of money to most people. David is talking millions.
2. If there was any hint your employer MAY have financial issues, then you would certainly be exploring the market.
3. The Devils haven't given their best offer yet. Classic Lou at work.
4. Anyone that doesn't believe David is a huge part of this team is delusional. I am not saying he worth crazy numbers, but let's be honest with ourselves, he is worth every bit of 4.5-5. We just signed Zubes for 3.1.(not a knock on #8)
5. Who is scoring goals on this team? Unless Lou goes buck wild, last season might look like the 84 Oilers offense.
6. For better or worse you know what you have in guys that have been on your roster. Why is Boston shopping Seguin? Seems the kid likes to party more than play. It' always buyer beware.
7. Clarky should fire that agent, not because of the douchey comments, but because his agent should be saying that the Devils put out an unbelievable offer that other teams are really gonna have to work at to match.
8. If he leaves he will get paid, but his hockey career may become not as enjoyable and only David knows what means more to him. Going home to Toronto may be his dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

1) No one is arguing or having an issue with that here.  Only teeny-boppers who liked Clarkson are having issues with him and his "loyalty" to this team.

2) True and no one is faulting him for that.

3) Maybe, maybe not.  We don't know everything that is going on behind the scenes.

4) He is worth $4.5 but that's at most.  He is important but not $5 million + important.  That sort of contract is a ticking timebomb.

5) Free agency.  Lou probably has a contingency plan.  Let's just hope it goes better than his plan B after Niedermayer left.

6) Of course but I doubt we are getting Seguin

7) If his agent doesn't get the best offer he can, then he is not doing his job.  It's a slimy job but if he doesn't try to get the best offer for his player, he won't have many clients to represent in a hurry.

8) He probably knows that and that is his risk to take.

If the Devils sign Clarkson to a 7 year, $6.5 mil per contract I will probably get pretty pissed off for a few hours :lol: but good for Clarkson if he can get it. Clarkson works hard and seems a good guy so I just hope the Devils don't pay him those crazy numbers.

If he gets that sort of contract from the Devils and doesn't score at least 30 goals a season, you better believe it will turn really ugly really quick here.  I'd rather have Toronto have those headaches.

#63 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

It's one thing to take the money, it's another to be a **** about it, particularly when you owe your career to the team and their head coach. Scott Gomez was classy leaving compared to Clarkson's agent - who does speak for his client.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 July 2013 - 11:50 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#64 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

It's one thing to take the money, it's another to be a **** about it, particularly when you owe your career to the team and their head coach. Scott Gomez was classy leaving compared to Clarkson's agent - who does speak for his client.

Who cares what his agent says? Shea Weber's agent last year begged Nashville not to match the offer sheet and they did anyway and now things are fine and he's not going anywhere. It's proably a negotiating tactic by him is all

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#65 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Well, Clarkson walks at those sums and surely, I won't be disappointed.  I will be happy for Clarkson.  He isn't worth that kind of coin, especially for 7 years.

With the money saved on a potential Clarkson signing, the Devs can focus their attention on grabbing a buy-out player the likes of Horton or Briere.

Good bye #23.  Thanks for the Bryzgalov gaffe-goal from the 2012 playoffs.  That was priceless! :-)

#66 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Eh it's his job to play hardball.

It's kinda like the opposite of what happens during salary arbitration between a player and a team.  Teams will put down a player as much as possible to get the lowest salary judgement.  I remember Lou's arbitration with Holik being pretty ugly.

#67 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Let's get real here.

1. If you were in Clarkson's situation you'd see what numbers get thrown at you. I am guessing that $50, 000 is a lot of money to most people. David is talking millions.
2. If there was any hint your employer MAY have financial issues, then you would certainly be exploring the market.
4. Anyone that doesn't believe David is a huge part of this team is delusional. I am not saying he worth crazy numbers, but let's be honest with ourselves, he is worth every bit of 4.5-5. We just signed Zubes for 3.1.(not a knock on #8)
5. Who is scoring goals on this team? Unless Lou goes buck wild, last season might look like the 84 Oilers offense.
6. For better or worse you know what you have in guys that have been on your roster. Why is Boston shopping Seguin? Seems the kid likes to party more than play. It' always buyer beware.
7. Clarky should fire that agent, not because of the douchey comments, but because his agent should be saying that the Devils put out an unbelievable offer that other teams are really gonna have to work at to match.
8. If he leaves he will get paid, but his hockey career may become not as enjoyable and only David knows what means more to him. Going home to Toronto may be his dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

1.  I agree, Clarkson has earned this right, I never have a problem with a player testing the market.  Those opportunities come few and far between for NHL players. 

2.  I think a guy like Clarkson should probably explore the market anyway, just because.  This is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him, and 2011-12 has sweetened the pot for him in a big way

3.  If Lou goes above $4.5 mil for his, I'll feel like he made a mistake.  Clarkson simply is not worth more than that.

4.  Agree on the $$ value, not sure if I'd say he's a huge part of the team.

5.  Fair question, but I'd rather have options than Clarkson at $5+ mil per year for the next five or six years. 

6.  Agree, which is how most of us know that anything over $4.5 mil per season for Clarkson in insane.  $6 mil is hysterically laughable.  That's a bad deal the day it's signed. 

7.  At the very least, Clarkson's agent should STFU, unless he's just looking to burn a bridge.

8.  Agree, the easy part of these things is to sign the contract and have a lovefest press conference or two.  But then comes the inevitable...having to play and show you're worth the money.  Clarkson in NJ at $4.5 mil per may lead to mild disappointment, but nothing more than that, unless his play really tanks.  Clarkson at $6 mil per in Toronto with expectations that are bound to be unrealistic and bloated due to his paycheck will likely lead to borderline fan hatred.  Not that goals, assists, and points are everything, but the guess here is that Toronto's fanbase will expect 25-30 goals and 50+ points...if he doesn't do that, they'll be pissed (especially if the team is not winning).  Here, I think we'd all take low 20s and 40 points, because we have a better handle on what is realistic and fair to expect from him.  GMs sadly never learn that paying a guy to be better than he really is almost NEVER makes him better than he really is. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 July 2013 - 11:56 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#68 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

This is where we disagree. David Clarkson should not owe his career to this team. They signed him and gave him a shot. That's it. Doesn't mean no other team would have. And he parlayed that shot into being an effective goal scorer in this league and a player that deserves to get paid. What amount of money should Clarkson sacrifice because the Devils signed him? $10 million? $15 million? It's a business. 

Now we are saying Clarkson is a$$hole? What has he done but be extremely complimentary to Lou, Pete and the organization? Have we heard from him in since the season ended?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#69 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

I agree. However, I am wondering if Lou low balled them in hopes of hitting a home run. Something seems off about the whole attitude of the agent.  Doesn't make sense to me. I still think Lou is waiting to see what the actual market is, before throwing real numbers at him. Maybe Lou may believes David was definitely gone and didn't want to set a precedent for anyone he was looking at in FA or even for future deals with his own rostered players... the whole yeah but you offered Clarkson X argument.  Let's also keep in mind that the cap will be going up and my guess is by quite a bit in the next 5 years, so what seems a lot in a down cap year will be a better deal down the road. Let's not forget inflation as well, which we will see in the next few as well.

4.5 mil 4 years is what I would offer. Anything over 5 and GM's should lose their job.

I think the sticking point is gonna be term.

Edited by hystyk28, 02 July 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#70 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

yeah it turned out really good career wize for guys like Gomez, Luongo, dipietro, Bryzgalov, Redden, etc etc etc etc It litterally DESTROYED their career not because t hey couldnt play but because they signed for a lot more than what they could ever give. Its fine when you sign it but i heard a few of them admitting regretting signing those contracts. 

I know its easy to say that million of dollar would make you happy and that they shouldnt wine on their faith but a lot of them are feeling miserable and stressed all year long. And thats not a way to live.

In fairness, DP's contract was only kooky in terms of length.  Had he been able to stay healthy it could've been very reasonable...from '05-'08 he was showing signs of being a guy who could start 60+ games per year and be reasonable effective.  But that of course it one of the big risks of signing these crazy-length deals...guys can get hurt and never really bounce back. 

Redden was just Sather being Sather...see big name and sign big name, even if big name is clearly on the downswing.  Almost everyone except Sather knew that that deal was going to be a disaster.  Can't blame Wade for saying, "Holy sh!t, someone wants to pay me THIS much?!", even though he probably knew he would never live up to it.  Ditto Bryzgalov.  I think Gomer and Luongo both thought they could live up to it, though I think Gomer was more a victim of both his own and Sather's idiocy. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#71 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Let's get real here.

OK I have to run with this one as I think it touches the major points well. I love Clarkson and what he brings to the team but lets be honest. The Devils never replaced the production they lost in Parise and they need another top 6 forward to work with Kovy. I have no problem with Clarkson taking the biggest contract or with the Devils saying, this isn't the best investment we can make. I do think that Clarkson and the Devils were symbiotic and I would be skeptical of him being as successful if he doesn't land in a similar system.

Anyway, I'm not going to panic from any of this because there is a new CBA and buyouts so until free agency starts and deals start to be made I think it's fair to say that we don't really know what the true market is. I think overall I love Davids style but he was always small for the big bruising style he plays. I think Lou has to find one to two scorers and a way to build depth that looks like Boston's lineup(Big, Strong and Deep).

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

4.5 mil 4 years is what I would offer. Anything over 5 and GM's should lose their job.

This is where I'm at.  At 5 years and $5 mil I'm very uncomfortable.  5 years at $4.5 mil or 4 years at $5.0 mil I can stomach a little better, but I'm not feeling great about it.  Anything combo resulting in more than 5 years or $5.0 per and I think it's a mistake. 

#30 FOREVER!

#73 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Eh it's his job to play hardball.

It's kinda like the opposite of what happens during salary arbitration between a player and a team. Teams will put down a player as much as possible to get the lowest salary judgement. I remember Lou's arbitration with Holik being pretty ugly.

His agent crying Lou is being cheap is one thing, making a douche comment like 'we didn't expect an offer cause of the team's financial issues' poisons the water for EVERY OTHER FA that might want to sign here too.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#74 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

do you *want* to pay a guy who's never put up 50 points in a season 6million? Nooooooooo thanks. Only a team as dumb as the Leafs would give him that and they'll wanna run him out of town when they see how inept a first liner he would be

do you *want* to pay a guy who's never put up 50 points in a season 6million? Nooooooooo thanks. Only a team as dumb as the Leafs would give him that and they'll wanna run him out of town when they see how inept a first liner he would be

No. I understand the logistics but when it comes down to it I'll miss Clarkson just as I missed Parise this year
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#75 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Can Clarkson function without Zubrus on his line?

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#76 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

In fairness, DP's contract was only kooky in terms of length.  Had he been able to stay healthy it could've been very reasonable...from '05-'08 he was showing signs of being a guy who could start 60+ games per year and be reasonable effective.  But that of course it one of the big risks of signing these crazy-length deals...guys can get hurt and never really bounce back. 

Redden was just Sather being Sather...see big name and sign big name, even if big name is clearly on the downswing.  Almost everyone except Sather knew that that deal was going to be a disaster.  Can't blame Wade for saying, "Holy sh!t, someone wants to pay me THIS much?!", even though he probably knew he would never live up to it.  Ditto Bryzgalov.  I think Gomer and Luongo both thought they could live up to it, though I think Gomer was more a victim of both his own and Sather's idiocy. 

I see this and do wonder if Clarky reall does sign a 6 mil a year deal if he really would live up to this. I love Clarkson and his game but I have always fealt that he was a perfect fit for the Devils system and that only certain team with our style will get the most out of him.

#77 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

His agent crying Lou is being cheap is one thing, making a douche comment like 'we didn't expect an offer cause of the team's financial issues' poisons the water for EVERY OTHER FA that might want to sign here too.

This is what I don't get. It's not like this guy only represents Clarkson.  How does he think saying that is good for him, which is the only thing these guys worry about. I can only figure,it reeks of low balling by Lou or maybe desperation by David really wanting to stay for max $/term. These statements may be his agent urinating on the team so it will  will keep other potential FA's away, ugly business move for sure.  Another factor in all of this is that David is still very close to Mike Richards, so he sees how ugly the business can be.(Richards took a hometown discount and then got traded-issues aside)  A NTC is another sticking point.  That would be deal killer for me, unless it is a list of 15 teams.

#78 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I haven't seen that rumor anywhere (I know Dreger does a lot of TV and radio this time of year), so let's grain of salt that one.

I agree, although to be fair, the guy who originally tweeted it said he personally disagreed and thought maybe $5M tops.

#79 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Wow.  I mean - I wrote my piece and all.  But who cares?  It's David Clarkson.  :blink:

I love the guy, but lets be real.  The way the dude conducts himself off ice says it all.  Clarky's kids... nnno, that's not what I'm talking about.  Dude is childish.  It's not a big deal. 

He's not being as a$$hole (his agent sure is though). As long as he knows what he's doing it's all good. I think he does.  He doesn't want the Cup or any of that.  He's not as ambitious as Holik, Gomez, Parise -- he's just looking to relax and stop working.  I dont think he understands that's what he wants.  This kid has worked his ass off all his life to prove himself - not to be a WINNER like a John Maddog Madden.  Clarkson doesn't have a "You think you're better than me" chip, he just had a But I KNOW I CAN play hockey chip.  Well this is it for him then.  this is the goal achieved - a nice contract.  the OFFER is what he was dreaming about and his dream stopped there.  A pretty wife a house with a pool - being able to give back to the community.  It's enough.  it's what he wants.

Clarkson is done proving himself and I'm really happy for him wherever he ends up.  I think everyone should be because that's his story.  His is not a name on the Cup story like Parise's is.  This isn't tragic.  It's good all the way around.  How can anyone even think he's disloyal?  He isn't a good enough player to be disloyal in leaving.  Duh?  Perspective people... perspective!!!

I'm here for the party

#80 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

Wow, first I saw some 5,5M figures here and there and thought it was crazy (though I fully expect some idiot GM to throw that kind of money at him), now I hear people saying 6 million... If it really comes down to numbers like these, then I can't blame Clarkie for taking that money, but it's an awful deal. Don't worry, we'll sign him back as soon as he gets bought out.

Still love the guy, no matter what. But yeah, there is NO WAY he's worth 5,5+.

Oh, and thank God we re-signed Zubrus already, got Schneider and it seems we're re-signing Elias. Losing David (if it happens) won't sting that much and it's a good start to the offseason.

Edited by Revan, 02 July 2013 - 01:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users