311 replies to this topic

#141 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

I still think he's going to end up in Ottawa.

#142 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I still think he's going to end up in Ottawa.

Yet he was reported as visiting the Oilers today. I think he's just seeing what's out there. Where he lands, no one knows. This thread has already said he's 100% going to the Leafs...why would he meet with Ott and Oils if that was true? No one knows. we will in 13.5 hours I guess. I hope he stays at a decent price, I have a signed jersey of his and a signed stick of his. He's obviously my fan favorite player. I will be bummed if he leaves.

1dun.jpg

#143 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

He'd be awful in Ottawa. What's worse is he could make a case for himself there - conveniently forgetting why it sucks. No no no. Edmonton at least you're prepared for everything sucking ass.

So funny I was thinking about how Clarkson has a persona comparable to Mike fisher, sans the whole Jesus thing. But not so much the on ice thing... It's just stupid. Both sides stupid stupid stupid. No it could NOT be a good idea. I just know that some superficial assmonkey had the same thought and proceeded to talk everyone else into the idea. "Ya know what we need? ". This is why Lou is so great. He'd be the first to say No, we don't. And be done with it.

Well actually for the Devils and my amusement it could be a good idea. But not for hockey not for Ottawa. For Clarkson if he just wants $$ and is willing to pay the price it's ok. There will be a real price to be paid though. He deserves some suckage - the bad kind. He'll learn about life.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 July 2013 - 10:24 PM.

I'm here for the party

#144 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Maybe Clarkson was laughed at by the interested teams when he asked for 6mil and was like, "I guess I'll just stay in Jersey."

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#145 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

He's certainly giving off the vibe he's going to sing O Canada...
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#146 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Clarkson is not worth more than 4.5 per. Good player, good guy, but bad person to make a big investment in

#147 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Clarkson is not worth more than 4.5 per. Good player, good guy, but bad person to make a big investment in

Point is 4.5 million particularly if it's for 5 years - IS a big investment. 

I'm here for the party

#148 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

I get the feeling Clarkson is going to sign the biggest "mistake" contact this off-season. 

First 14 GP:  10 G, 6 A  (16.7 shooting%)

Last 28 GP:  5 G, 3 A  (4.2 shooting %)

Of course, it's doubtful that he'll ever go through a full season that mimics that 28-game stretch, but he's had a couple of low% seasons before.  And not only that, he averaged 3.75 SOG per game last season...in fact, he led the Devils by a fair margin (Kovy was second at 3.32 SOG per game).  Elias was third at 2.46.  Clarkson's stats are the kinds of numbers that show too much offense going through a guy who really isn't up to it.  For starters, he's going to have to shoot a hell of a lot better than last year's 8.3% to justify shooting the puck so damned much.  This isn't a great comparison, but he's like the NBA player who scores 20 points on something like 10-for-31 shooting.    

Heaven forbid he signs for somewhere for $6 mil/year longterm and gets off to a start like the above 28-game stretch.  For the money he's going to sign for, his team and the fans are going to expect offense and production. 

Over a 94-game stretch, Clarkson scored 40 goals on 13.9% shooting.  That reeks of a massive peak he'll be hard-pressed to come close to matching.  But I get the feeling this is pretty close to what his future employer will expect.  Suffice it to say I'm glad it won't be the Devils making this gaffe.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#149 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

I get the feeling Clarkson is going to sign the biggest "mistake" contact this off-season. 

First 14 GP:  10 G, 6 A  (16.7 shooting%)

Last 28 GP:  5 G, 3 A  (4.2 shooting %)

Of course, it's doubtful that he'll ever go through a full season that mimics that 28-game stretch, but he's had a couple of low% seasons before.  And not only that, he averaged 3.75 SOG per game last season...in fact, he led the Devils by a fair margin (Kovy was second at 3.32 SOG per game).  Elias was third at 2.46.  Clarkson's stats are the kinds of numbers that show too much offense going through a guy who really isn't up to it.  For starters, he's going to have to shoot a hell of a lot better than last year's 8.3% to justify shooting the puck so damned much.  This isn't a great comparison, but he's like the NBA player who scores 20 points on something like 10-for-31 shooting.    

Heaven forbid he signs for somewhere for $6 mil/year longterm and gets off to a start like the above 28-game stretch.  For the money he's going to sign for, his team and the fans are going to expect offense and production. 

Over a 94-game stretch, Clarkson scored 40 goals on 13.9% shooting.  That reeks of a massive peak he'll be hard-pressed to come close to matching.  But I get the feeling this is pretty close to what his future employer will expect.  Suffice it to say I'm glad it won't be the Devils making this gaffe.

The one thing that a lot of teams might look at is that Clarkson has never played with an elite center or that many very good players. He did see times last season with a guy like Elias, but he put up some good numbers playing without big time players in the past. I think a team like Ottawa is selling on him playing with Spezza, or Edmonton with their young guns.

Not sure who or who wouldn't complement his game, but it's all part of it for different teams. We may have not seen the best of Clarkson just yet.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#150 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,732 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

I guess, and I know GMs don't watch a ton of hockey, but Clarkson is just not a good fit with that sort of player.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#151 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

I guess, and I know GMs don't watch a ton of hockey, but Clarkson is just not a good fit with that sort of player.

I'm really not sure what kind of player he clicks with, if any. It's going to be a wake up call for any fanbase to see how Clarkson operates. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#152 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Elias has made a career of making his linemates be productive and appear better than they are.

Clarkson is no exception and I don't see Clarkson being any better than he has been these last two yrs.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#153 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Honestly, in 4-5 years we may look back and be able to say that letting Clarkson and Parise go we're the two best decisions Lou ever made.. Both are gonna have a really tough time as they surpass their 30s...

#154 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think Clarkson is a very self aware player - he's best when he takes charge.  but he's not all that confident in reality, so once it dawns on him he' sin charge he kind of chokes, he loses focus and starts watching himself play.  (Maybe he is a good fit in Ottawa).

When he's committed to following, in that he's letting a star linemate take over, he also loses focus.

What he needs is simple confidence and trust in himself beyond as far as he's taken it.  What's odd is I suspect what he considers his strong suit has actually turned into his limitation at this point.  I don't think he's going to get out from under that any where - NJ included, so what you see is what you get.  Unless he's just SO trapped that he's all he's got and has to fight his way out of it, I dont see him growing much more as a player.  Linemates won't do it, I don't think. 

PEPPERKORN SIDEBAR - no need to read I'm just putting it out there.

The whole problem is that in his wildest dreams - THIS is as far as Clarkson has taken it. Our dreams honestly hone our future and set our limitations.  He's gone no further than this - being desired in the NHL.  It's funny how you guys dont understand these things.  I feel like no one here has (withe sincerity) chased an unrealistic dream or maybe you're in the process and can't face up to certain things about the climb up.   because it's where the truth of it all lies - the intangibles that actually make or break a team.  Conte would get it.  I can tell by his quotes he totally gets it - what it is to be at the very top echelon and how you got there and what it takes to stay -- or rather what choices you are going to be capable of making... to SEE when you are really there faced with these choices.  I actually don't think life/career choices are the same at every level of life.  The investment in a sports of performing career is very different than the investment in a career in science or something. You guys really can't empathize because you don't do that - you can't imagine - WANTING to be  is the difference in the thinking -- well actually it's how far you want to take it - setting the benchmarks.  Not the leg work but the dream and the choice to go for it to commit to it- and how far you take that choice without taoing through it. 

Like Scott Stevens knowing he HAD to be IN THE NHL right at the get go -- because he knew where he had to take it.  Parise, Matteau -- these guys know where they have to take it thanks to their family.  Clarkson knew just up to this point - and now that's it.  Gomez knew up to the signing with the Rags point... and that was it (I wrote so at the time - how it was that stupid apartment - an adolescent dream that he stalled on).   I wish you all understood what that's like. It's not a simple thing - to brush this stuff aside, you know... it's just working half blind.  :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 05 July 2013 - 09:10 AM.

I'm here for the party

#155 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Maybe Clarkson was laughed at by the interested teams when he asked for 6mil and was like, "I guess I'll just stay in Jersey."

I was thinking the same thing.  Interview goes well until he says his demands.  I really can't see any intelligent GM giving him that, nevermind laughing in his face. 

Now the ball is in your call jackass agent.

Elias has made a career of making his linemates be productive and appear better than they are.

Clarkson is no exception and I don't see Clarkson being any better than he has been these last two yrs.

This x1000.  That is the kind of player Elias is.

Edited by lucifer91, 05 July 2013 - 08:49 AM.

Posted Image

#156 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

How many players has Elias built up only to have crash without him:  just recently we've had Bergfors, Sykora, Gionta, Gomez, and now Clarkson.   Elias just doesn't get paid enough turning straw players into another fool's gold.

I am hearing Clarkson to Toronto for 7 years at $6.0 million per season.   Elias should get a percentage of this.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#157 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m
RT @DarrenDreger: Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm's think he will get $6 mil or higher per
Absolute, utter lunacy. I give it 2 years before he's bought out.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#158 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

RT @DarrenDreger: Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm's think he will get $6 mil or higher per

i can't believe I'm seeing this, someone needs to lose his job

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#159 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

How many players has Elias built up only to have crash without him:  just recently we've had Bergfors, Sykora, Gionta, Gomez, and now Clarkson.   Elias just doesn't get paid enough turning straw players into another fool's gold.

I am hearing Clarkson to Toronto for 7 years at $6.0 million per season.   Elias should get a percentage of this.

That's ridiculous. Elias has done some good things with a lot of players, but I don't think he is a big factor in Clarkson's goal scoring rise. There wasn't some great chemistry between the two like with Gomez/Gionta and Arnott/Sykora. Pretty unfair.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4qkG2r_OTp8

#160 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I thought that last sentence was part of the tweet, I was about to say OMG... But that was you lol..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users