Photo

Elias re-signed. 3 yrs/5.5 per. 16.5 total. NMC.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm really excited to see him finish out his career as a Devil.

I thought the contract was a little high though.

Are cap space has quickly evaporated. 12 million left with Henrique and Josefson still un-signed.

Yeah but you have to imagine there's a few pieces of ours on the trading block this offseason.. Doubt well be seeing all our currently signed D on the roster in October..

#42 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah but you have to imagine there's a few pieces of ours on the trading block this offseason.. Doubt well be seeing all our currently signed D on the roster in October..

lets fvcking hope

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#43 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

No- it's just dumb.  A team offers what it offers -- what is this bullsh!t about a team might not be able to pay?  Who gives a fvck?  They will pay.  This is just stupid.  You weigh offers not on the possibility of what a team might or might not offer.  You ALWAYS ask no matter how much you THINK a team might have.  This is just plain stupid reasoning.  Why are people even going there?  Not that I even care but .. :wacko:

You are a bit wet behind the ears my man to think that an analysis of sorts isn't done behind the scenes to realistically see what a team may be able and willing to pay you. 

If Elias is signed, sealed, and delivered, Clarkson's camp uses those numbers as leverage knowing what the Dev's cap hit is, and realistically deduce whether or not the team can sign Clarkie.  Ego is also a big factor with this.

"Well, you gave Patty 5.5 so why don't you give me similar money"...

Keep the cards in the deck until absolutely necessary to show them - and Lou works this way and that is why they waited until today to announce this.

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Big risk (Elias will be 37, 38, and 39 years old), and one that could potentially blow up if the Devils rely on him too much.  This could wind up being a lifetime achievement contract where the actual return is far below the monetary value.  None of us can say for certain how a guy in his late 30s is going to perform (see Rolston, Brian).

All that being said, I'm glad he's back...I think this was a risk the Devils flat-out had to take.  I really hope this deal works out...if the Devils get two solid years out of Elias, I think everyone made out.  Will be nice to see Elias finish with about 1300 GP and 1100 points.

I actually think Elias is in a better frame of mind about signing this contract than the last one.  I think from the minute he signed that 7-year deal, he questioned the decision quite a bit, especially over the first few years.  Now I think this is simply where he wants to be, end of story. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Looking forward to many more goals like this for the next few years!

es2.gif

Edited by GoArmySports, 04 July 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#46 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Was there really ever any doubt? At this point in his career it wasn't worth it to start over anywhere else. Now he can roll along, scoring 20-25 a year and ride off into the sunset
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#47 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Absolutely necessary to bring Patty back, glad the deal got finished and we didn't have to worry about him leaving. Clarkson is another story, but he doesn't bring the full game that Elias does. Hope Patty continues his great play from the last few seasons moving forward and doesn't decline too much with his age. He seems like a guy who can age gracefully like Selanne, Jagr, etc. Just needs to stay healthy.

#48 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

It's a little more than I liked, but the Devils had no choice here. He has been the Devils best forward over the last 3 seasons. Top 10 in scoring in 2012. Top 10 for 20 or so games last season before the entire team went cold. Most amount of ice-time ever in 2012 and third most last season. With the money guys like Kovalchuk, Zajac and Brodeur are making, and the deal Zubrus just signed, there was no real debate.

3-year deals can be a little scary. Hope he stays as motivated as possible to train in the 2015 off-season. His TOI is going to have to be reduced a little bit moving forward. But so excited to have Patty back. 

This echoes my feelings, too. A bit pricy for a deal that gets the player from 37 to 40 y.o., but spending a bit too much is way better than letting him go - losing Elias would've been catastrophic for the organization. Glad he'll finish his career here and be able to hit 1000 points in a Devils uniform - amazing!

Pretty good offseason so far - free agency hasn't hit yet and we've already re-signed our top free agent, kept another important one in Zubrus and brought in a very good goalie without losing a player. Nice change compared to previous years, when we knew nothing at this point and then proceeded to letting our big UFAs go. Now, let's re-sign Henrique and Josefson, move some D-man and add some offense.

#49 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

:yay:

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#50 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Fantastic news, Patty's is the only jersey I have

Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#51 Taiter32

Taiter32

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Love that we got him back, was hoping for around 4.5-5m just so we can possibly have more money to sign guys. But I'd hate to see Elias anywhere else besides the Devils!

#52 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I am happy for Elias and for the Devils.

#53 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Glad to have him stay.  A 2 year deal would've been perfect.   Hopefully he proves me wrong !

#54 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Glad to see this. May he have a selanne like future!

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Glad to have him stay. A 2 year deal would've been perfect. Hopefully he proves me wrong !

There's 2 sides to negotiating. He probably gave up some money for the extra year.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#56 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Glad he re-signed. I was visiting the HHOF today, and was half afraid to wear my jersey, but did anyway (it was hotter than hell, btw). By the end of the day, people were coming up to me to congratulate me.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#57 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

I will have to rock the Elias retro jersey I have.. happy he is staying a Devil, and even though it is slightly higher than I was expecting, out of all the older Devils Lou has signed, he is probably the more consistent, hockey smart, and better player worth a retirement contract.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#58 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Anyone who doesn't appreciate this deal can go ahead and stroll over to the Ottawa Senators board on hfboards, and see their reactions to Alfie leaving.  Could have easily been us.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#59 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

not sure how true this is but...

Czech source idnes.cz reports that Patrik Eliáš was speaking with Petr Speychal, vicepresident of Lev Prague (KHL), and told him that he will play for Lev after next three years.
Rashid Khabibulin, the predisent of the club confirmed that and said that they were close to sign contract this year, but Eliáš prefered NHL. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#60 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

not sure how true this is but...

Czech source idnes.cz reports that Patrik Eliáš was speaking with Petr Speychal, vicepresident of Lev Prague (KHL), and told him that he will play for Lev after next three years.
Rashid Khabibulin, the predisent of the club confirmed that and said that they were close to sign contract this year, but Eliáš prefered NHL. 

Those reporters as well as the managers for the KHL are always full of it.

Besides if it is true, it is not like he is going to a rival NHL team anyways.  He will still always be a Devil.  I picture the KHL as being the senior circuit for a lot of former NHL players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users