680 replies to this topic

#321 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hey fiesty, do you have any idea what kind of player we can expect Black to become? Stats look good so far this year, but I guess that's expected for someone playing in the WHL two years after being drafted.

I've never seen him play but going off his draft profile from Hockey Prospect and reading articles the last few years, I like him more than most. He is an overager and should be putting up numbers like this, but I really think that if he didn't have Graves' Disease, that he would've played his age 18 year in the WHL and been drafted in his first year of eligibility. His upside if everything goes well for him seems like 3rd line center, but I think that on a team like the Devils that sort of has interchangeable pieces in the top 9, maybe he would be able to surprise them with his offensive skills at times. Like I said though, that is his best case scenario so I would temper expectations on him since it's far from a sure thing.

Maybe I'm biased, but having a friend who is athletic and has a similar condition, it's amazing to me Black has been able to play this well through it. Diseases like this can be really debilitating when they flare up. However, it looks like the worst of it is behind him now and he should be able to maintain weight, sleep better, etc. going forward.

FWIW here is part of his 2012 Hockey Prospect Black Book profile:

The first thing you notice about Black’s game is his speed. He goes from point A to B in a hurry, and defenders really have to respect his skating ability and give him a bigger gap than most players. With his speed, Black likes to attack and create match up problems for opponents. He drives to the net hard with or without the puck, and it allows his teammates to have some extra room to make plays.

With the puck, Black makes very good plays. He has a very quick release, and loves to sneak into the slot, receive a quick pass and get his shots off and score goals that way. He also has good hands in tight, but a lack of size does not allow him to be as effective around there. Black always has his head up, and makes good decisions with the puck.

Defensively, Black must improve his play without the puck. He takes awkward lanes to the point, which does not allow him to take away shots or passes effectively. He gets caught puck watching, and loses track of where his check is many times.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#322 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

It's all about the AHL for Black (first, NJ has to sign him, no sure thing).  If he shows up there and gets 20 points per 80 games next year, he's probably an AHL pro.  If he gets 40, he could be a 3rd/4th line guy who kills penalties.  That speed is NHL quality, it's about rounding out the rest of his game.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#323 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

Friday 12/13
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Quebec 7-3
Anthony Brodeur G: 9 Saves on 14 Shots in 29:56 (Replaced in 2nd down 5-0)

OHL
Kingston lost to Niagara 5-4 (OT)
Ryan Kujawinski C: E, 2 PIM (Interference)

-- Penalty led to GWG for Niagara.

WHL
Kelowna defeated Brandon 6-5 (OT)
Damon Severson D: DNP (At Canada WJC Camp)
Myles Bell RW: 2 Goals, Assist (PP), +1

-- Scored tying goal with 9 seconds left in regulation, scored GWG in OT.
-- 4 goals, 1 assist in last 2 games.

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Colorado College 4-1
Joe Faust D: E, 2 Blocks

North Dakota defeated Northern Michigan 4-1
Derek Rodwell RW: +1, 1 Shot

Michigan Tech lost to Bowling Green 3-2
Blake Pietila LW: Assist, +1, 3 Shots, 9/18 Faceoffs

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#324 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

Saturday 12/14
OHL
Windsor lost to Barrie 4-3
Ben Johnson LW: Goal (PP), -2

Kingston defeated Sarnia 9-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: DNP (Healthy scratch after penalty in OT cost them the game last night)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Kootenay 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: Goal, +1, Stopped in SO* 2nd Star

-- 7 game point streak: 1 goal, 11 assists.

Kelowna defeated Regina 5-4 (OT)
Damon Severson D: DNP (At Canada WJC Camp)
Myles Bell RW: Goal (GWG), Assist (PP), +1

-- 5 goals, 2 assists in last 3 games including back to back GWG's in OT.

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Colorado College 4-3 (OT)
Joe Faust D: -1, 1 Shot

North Dakota defeated Northern Michigan 3-1
Derek Rodwell RW: Goal (EN), +1, 3 Shots

Michigan Tech tied Bowling Green 4-4
Blake Pietila LW: Goal (PP), -1, 10 PIM (Unsportsmanlike Conduct), 5 Shots, 4/8 Faceoffs

#325 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Sunday 12/15
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Drummondville 4-0
Anthony Brodeur G: 7 Saves on 7 Shots in 20:00

-- Relieved Steeves after 2 periods.

OHL
Windsor lost to Owen Sound 3-2
Ben Johnson LW: +1

-- Just 6 points in his last 14 games (5 goals, 1 assist).

North Bay lost to Sudbury 1-0 (OT)
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 4 PIM (Tripping, Cross Checking)

Kingston lost to London 6-4
Ryan Kujawinski C: Assist, E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Calgary 5-2
Graham Black C: -4

-- Snaps 7 game point streak.

Kelowna defeated Prince Albert 5-3
Myles Bell RW: Goal, E

-- 6 goals, 2 assists in last 4 games.

World Junior Championship Division 1A
Belarus defeated Slovenia 7-3
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Goals (1 SH), Assist, +2, 10 Shots, 14/20 Faceoffs

-- Gavrus is the captain for Belarus.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 16 December 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#326 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Monday 12/16
Belarus defeated Austria 4-1
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists, +3, 5 Shots, 9/16 Faceoffs
Tournament: 2 GP 2-3-5, 0 PIM, +5, 15 Shots, 63.89 FO%

WJC Camp Notes:
-- USA has 17 forwards in camp and is using 3 lines of 3 and 2 lines of 4 that rotate a player in and out. Matteau is on the 3rd line of 3 which seems like a good sign. He's with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK). I would love to see those 3 stay together with their size.

-- Looks like USA coach Don Lucia didn't use any set pairs on D for practice.

-- Looks like Severson has been paired with Derrick Pouliot ('12 1/8 PIT) at the Canadian camp. They were a pair in the Super Series recently.

#327 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Monday 12/16
Belarus defeated Austria 4-1
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists, +3, 5 Shots, 9/16 Faceoffs
Tournament: 2 GP 2-3-5, 0 PIM, +5, 15 Shots, 63.89 FO%

WJC Camp Notes:
-- USA has 17 forwards in camp and is using 3 lines of 3 and 2 lines of 4 that rotate a player in and out. Matteau is on the 3rd line of 3 which seems like a good sign. He's with Andrew Copp ('13 4/104 WPG) and Hudson Fasching ('13 4/118 LAK). I would love to see those 3 stay together with their size.

-- Looks like USA coach Don Lucia didn't use any set pairs on D for practice.

-- Looks like Severson has been paired with Derrick Pouliot ('12 1/8 PIT) at the Canadian camp. They were a pair in the Super Series recently.

Listened to interview w/ Lucia today. They asked about difficulty in "cutting" guys and when it get's done.  He will initial cuts here, and go over w/ more than he needs.  Final cuts will be made in Malmo. Cutting guys is hard but,  not near as bad as in Canada because press is ever present.  They take this Jr .stuff very serious. He said you don't choose 12 "skilled " fw's but 2 lines that can split pp, and bottom 6 that can pk and play roles (checking) etc.

Hopefully Santini in the mix as well as Matteau.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#328 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Fiesty there was discussion today w/ Boomer (Gordan) and a college guy.  And they spoke of a few college  guys (undrafted) . One BC guy that plays on a line w/ Johnny Hockey (Goudreau) bidding for his services will be "lively". He mentioned a few more but I was driving. Apparently there's a few good prospects out there.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#329 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Listened to interview w/ Lucia today. They asked about difficulty in "cutting" guys and when it get's done.  He will initial cuts here, and go over w/ more than he needs.  Final cuts will be made in Malmo. Cutting guys is hard but,  not near as bad as in Canada because press is ever present.  They take this Jr .stuff very serious. He said you don't choose 12 "skilled " fw's but 2 lines that can split pp, and bottom 6 that can pk and play roles (checking) etc.

Hopefully Santini in the mix as well as Matteau.

I really like Lucia's mindset on taking versatile players. That seems like it should help Santini since he's a strong penalty killer. I read from the United States of Hockey blog that Matteau was on a PP unit in practice ahead of tonight's exhibition game. The blog lists Matteau as LW on a line with C Vince Hinostroza ('12 6/169 CHI) and RW Henrik Samuelsson ('12 1/27 PHX) and Santini on a pair with D Jaccob Slavin ('12 4/120 CAR).

Fiesty there was discussion today w/ Boomer (Gordan) and a college guy.  And they spoke of a few college  guys (undrafted) . One BC guy that plays on a line w/ Johnny Hockey (Goudreau) bidding for his services will be "lively". He mentioned a few more but I was driving. Apparently there's a few good prospects out there.

I think freshman Austin Cangelosi was the undrafted player they referenced to playing with Gaudreau but I think he still has one more year of draft eligibility left. I could be wrong though. Here's a link to the leaderboard for undrafted free agent NCAA players (excluding freshman).

Greg Carey will probably get signed by someone but seems like the typical, older kid in college puts up nice numbers due to age, not much upside. I think Austin Czarnik is a legit prospect who got passed over due to size. I would be happy if the Devils added someone like him since he could very well have more offensive tools than the other forward prospects they have. Kevin Goumas was at the 2012 Devils prospect camp and has 20 points in 18 games his senior year, maybe he's on the Devils radar. Guys that were at this year's prospect camp include Conor Sheary, Ryan Misiak, Cody Wydo, and Kyle Gibbons.

As triumph mentioned earlier in the thread, the Devils could have a bit of a logjam in Albany so they probably won't be too active signing guys but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out one contract to someone like Czarnik or one of the prospect camp guys.

#330 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Tuesday 12/17
WHL
Swift Current defeated Kamloops 6-3
Graham Black C: 3 Assists (2 PP), +1* 2nd Star
Season: 36 GP 17-32-49, +15, 31 PIM

-- 14 assists in last 9 games.

Kelowna defeated Saskatoon 7-1
Myles Bell RW: Goal, Assist (PP), +1, 2 PIM (Holding)
Season: 31 GP 17-15-32, +13, 25 PIM

-- 5 game point streak: 7 goals, 3 assists.

WJC Exhibition
USA defeated Minnesota State 3-2 (OT)
Stefan Matteau LW: Assist (PP), E, 1 Shot, 1 Block
Steve Santini D: Assist, +1, 1 Block

WJC Camp Notes:
-- Severson was on a pair with D Josh Morrissey ('13 1/13 WPG) at Canada's practice today.

#331 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Wednesday 12/18
Belarus lost to Denmark 5-4
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists (Both PP), -2, 7 Shots, 14/24 Faceoffs
Tournament: 3 GP 2-5-7, 0 PIM, +3, 22 Shots, 61.67 FO%

WJC Camp Notes:
-- As expected both Matteau and Santini survived the first cuts for Team USA. There are 3 more cuts left to make, once again 2 forwards and a defenseman. They have 2 exhibition games, 12/20 vs. Sweden and 12/22 vs. Finland.

-- Severson continued to skate on a pair with Josh Morrissey ('13 1/13 WPG) in Canada's practice today.

Injury Update:

Blake Coleman tweeted out a picture of his shoulder now with the plate and screws in it. Still no idea how long he will be out.

#332 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

What exactly happened to his shoulder?

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#333 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

What exactly happened to his shoulder?

He got hurt after taking a hit in front of the Miami bench against Denver on 12/6. Sounds like his upper body fell awkwardly into the boards. I haven't been able to find any official info on him but going off his x-rays, it appears like he fractured his collarbone and had it fixed with a plate and 10 screws. I have no idea how long that takes to heal and how long any rehab for it takes.

#334 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

He got hurt after taking a hit in front of the Miami bench against Denver on 12/6. Sounds like his upper body fell awkwardly into the boards. I haven't been able to find any official info on him but going off his x-rays, it appears like he fractured his collarbone and had it fixed with a plate and 10 screws. I have no idea how long that takes to heal and how long any rehab for it takes.

Yikes!  Sounds painful.  The picture of the bar and screws look like parts of bone were replaced.  Shoulders take a heckuva long time to rehab.  Maybe it will be shorter for him since he is an athlete.  btw, bones take 2 full years to fully heal even though we can go on as we once did.  He will probably need antibiotics for stuff like going to the dentist. 

Thnx for the info. :)

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#335 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thursday 12/19
OHL
North Bay defeated Mississauga 3-2 (SO)
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 2 PIM (Hooking)
Season: 23 GP 8-7-15, -3, 55 PIM

Kingston defeated Peterborough 4-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), 2 Assists, +3
Season: 27 GP 13-11-24, E, 22 PIM

Belarus defeated Poland 5-1
Artur Gavrus C: Goal, Assist, +2, 3 Shots, 13/16 Faceoffs
Tournament: 4 GP 3-6-9, 0 PIM, +5, 25 Shots, 65.79 FO%

#336 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Corey Pronman @coreypronman

18m

Canada cut Shinkaruk (VAN) and Severson (NJD).

-------

I watched Canada's exhibition game against Finland this morning and Sutter had Severson as the 7th defenseman. He might've had 3 minutes of ice time and didn't do anything of note (positive or negative). It's odd that they didn't give him much of a chance, while a guy like Matt Dumba continuously made bone-headed plays. I guess Sutter merely looks at draft position...

Re: McDavid. He is every bit as good as people say. He played on a line with possible 2014 top pick, Sam Reinhart, and our old friend Bo Horvat.

I also caught USA's exhibition against Sweden where they were taken down 4-2. Matteau played mostly with Hudson Fasching (LA) and Andrew Copp (WPG), though he did get moved up to the top line with Ryan Hartman (CHI) and 2015 eligible Jack Eichel. He made some nice plays in the offensive zone, including a sweet pass to send Fasching on a breakaway. He cycled the puck well and was physical. Steven Santini was paired with Will Butcher (COL). He played well on the PK and threw one particularly heavy hit in the neutral zone. He plays a very quiet game but is such a silky-smooth skater

Edited by SMantzas, 20 December 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#337 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Wow surprised about severson he sounded like he was paired with highly though of guys. Oh well hopefully santini and Matteau make it.

#338 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Wow, I watched the SWE - USA game and didn't even know Santini was playing until you mentioned it SMantzas. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#339 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Sucks that Severson got cut but I had the feeling it was going to happen when the Wild let Dumba go to Team Canada. Has to suck for Severson to not only get cut but have go overseas for it to happen. Would've rather seen him play than a guy like Derrick Pouliot who never impressed me in his own zone.

EDIT: I should also add that Mark Edwards at Hockey Prospect mentioned the other day that Severson wasn't having a great camp.

I really like Matteau's chances of making Team USA. I think Santini makes it but I'm not as sure of his chances compared to Matteau, though they are still pretty good.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 20 December 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#340 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Friday 12/20
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Rouyn-Noranda 5-4 (OT)
Anthony Brodeur G: 14 Saves on 15 Shots in 33:36 (Relieved Steeves)
Season: 15 GP 7-6-0, 3.17 GAA, .877 SV%

OHL
Windsor defeated Saginaw 11-6
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Goals, 2 Assists, +4* 2nd Star
Season: 28 GP 15-9-24, +7, 8 PIM

Kingston defeated Ottawa 8-5
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), +1, 5 PIM (Fighting)
Season: 28 GP 14-11-25, +1, 27 PIM

-- 2 goals, 3 assists in last 3 games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users