680 replies to this topic

#121 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Seems to indicate that Black isn't getting a pro contract this year and isn't going to be part of Albany. I think that makes sense, unfortunately. The fact that Reece Scarlett hasn't played either game might indicate that he won't be returning to Swift Current (which I'd always assumed)

If Scarlett turns pro, I wonder if his huge ice time is a factor. The Devils may want him taking a year to focus more on physical improvement than being worn out from such heavy playing time.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#122 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

If Scarlett turns pro, I wonder if his huge ice time is a factor. The Devils may want him taking a year to focus more on physical improvement than being worn out from such heavy playing time.

ECHL is better than WHL.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#123 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

ECHL is better than WHL.

I wasn't saying anything about the quality of the leagues.

Scarlett needs to bulk up and playing huge minutes every night means he was spending more time/energy on recovery than he could use on bulking up.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#124 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Updated the 8/31 post. According to Windsor's website, Johnson had an assist on the game tying goal.

I also think it makes sense to let Black spend another year in the WHL given how much he's had to battle just to get on the ice over the years. I was expecting Bell to go to Albany and still do, but Kelowna's radio guy seems to think there is a shot of him staying in Kelowna and getting another year of development as a forward before going pro. There is even some talk he may be captain if he ends up back there.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#125 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Updated the 8/31 post. According to Windsor's website, Johnson had an assist on the game tying goal.

I also think it makes sense to let Black spend another year in the WHL given how much he's had to battle just to get on the ice over the years. I was expecting Bell to go to Albany and still do, but Kelowna's radio guy seems to think there is a shot of him staying in Kelowna and getting another year of development as a forward before going pro. There is even some talk he may be captain if he ends up back there.

Good info fiesty.  I dunno, while it'd be nice for him to get more development as a forward in the WHL, he could do the same at the ECHL level.  Considering he is already doing really well at the WHL level as a forward, seems like he could be driven to some bad habits if he stays there.  The only advantages to Bell waiting a year is that if the Devils don't sign him until 2014, he gains another year of waiver ineligibility - if he signs this year or plays a pro game at all, he's waiver eligible in 2016-17, otherwise he's eligible in 2017-18.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#126 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Good info fiesty.  I dunno, while it'd be nice for him to get more development as a forward in the WHL, he could do the same at the ECHL level.  Considering he is already doing really well at the WHL level as a forward, seems like he could be driven to some bad habits if he stays there.  The only advantages to Bell waiting a year is that if the Devils don't sign him until 2014, he gains another year of waiver ineligibility - if he signs this year or plays a pro game at all, he's waiver eligible in 2016-17, otherwise he's eligible in 2017-18.

I think we'll have a pretty good idea if he'll pan out as an nhl calibre player in that length of time.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#127 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Sunday 9/1
OHL Preseason
Kitchener defeated North Bay 5-2
Ben Thomson LW: I don't think he played.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current lost to Calgary 4-1
Graham Black C: DNP

Monday 9/2
OHL Preseason
Windsor defeated Plymouth 5-3
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Assists (1 SH)

Once again I had to go off Windsor's twitter feed so that info is limited and not official.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#128 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Tuesday 9/3
OHL Preseason
Kingston defeated Ottawa 4-1
C Ryan Kujawinski: At least a PPG if not more, *1st Star

He skated between LW Billy Jenkins and RW Sam Povorozniouk who both went undrafted in 2013 and will turn 19 this season.

I had to get the info from the Ottawa 67's twitter feed and I have the feeling Kujawinski had an assist or 2 but I can't confirm.

#129 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Wednesday 9/4
WHL Preseason
Swift Current defeated Saskatoon 9-4

KHL regular season starts tomorrow.

I figured this was an article that triumph and other posters into advanced stats would enjoy: Ottawa 67′s embrace analytics, hiring sabermetrician Matt Pfeffer

Part of the reason the Ottawa 67's decided to tap into Pfeffer's powers of analysis was a study he published last season on TheScout.ca detailing which midget AAA programs are overrated and underrated at turning out future productive OHLers. One thing has led to another, namely that the 67's are joining the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds by having the Trent University economics student become their resident sabermetrician, providing the team with advanced stats.

Pfeffer spent his at 67's training camp doing a practice run for the regular season, where he will oversee the tracking such data points as zone exits, zone entries and ice time. That will complement what coach-GM Chris Byrne, associate coach-assistant GM Misha Donskov and their staff see with their eyes and ears. It's a great leap forward in an OHL context, seeing how the league does not even publish individual shots on goal or faceoff stats.

#130 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

Tuesday 9/3
OHL Preseason
Kingston defeated Ottawa 4-1
C Ryan Kujawinski: At least a PPG if not more, *1st Star

He skated between LW Billy Jenkins and RW Sam Povorozniouk who both went undrafted in 2013 and will turn 19 this season.

I had to get the info from the Ottawa 67's twitter feed and I have the feeling Kujawinski had an assist or 2 but I can't confirm.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not just saying this because he had a good game, but I'm really happy the Devils traded down to get Santini and Kujawinski. I've been doing a bit of research and watching some videos on him (Kuja), and I think he has potential to be a real good player in the future. He may even turn out better than Dauphin, the player everyone thought the Devils would take with their second round pick before it was traded.

#131 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Fiesty for updates. I see us being pretty strong up the middle in not too distant future.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#132 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a limit to the amount of pro contracts that each team can have? 50 I believe. And don't the Devils have 48 or 49 players under contract? That might be why someone like Bell or Black aren't playing in the AHl.

Posted Image

#133 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a limit to the amount of pro contracts that each team can have? 50 I believe. And don't the Devils have 48 or 49 players under contract? That might be why someone like Bell or Black aren't playing in the AHl.

You are right. Each team can essentially have 50 contracts on their reserve list. Right now the Devils have 48. There is a way to go above 50 contracts and that is by having an ELC slide, which theoretically could happen to Matteau's and Severson's, though in reality, only Severson's should slide this year. For info on how a ELC's can slide, here is the link to the Cap Geek FAQ on it.

To get back to Bell and Black, the Devils may be up there in contracts but should have no problem fitting them in if they wanted to. I think Bell is likely to sign and get in the AHL since he's been in the WHL for 4 years already and needs the next step in his development. On the other hand, given Black's medical history, I think it's best for his development to have a 3rd WHL season - even though he's 20 like Bell.

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Matteau's contract can't slide, that's an error by capgeek.

#135 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Thursday 9/5
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Dinamo Riga 2-1
Artur Gavrus C: E, 1 Shot, 4/12 Faceoffs, 17:27 TOI

Looks like he skated with Jacob Micflikier and Geoff Platt.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current lost to Medicine Hat 4-2

I suppose Scarlett and Black are already off to NJ for camp.

#136 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Gavrus getting 17 minutes in the KHL is a good sign for a draft Y+2 player.

#137 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Friday 9/6
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau lost to Ottawa 4-1
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

He did dress as the back up though. Maybe he'll play for Gatineau tomorrow before leaving for NJ.

OHL Preseason
Windsor lost to Sarnia 4-3
Ben Johnson LW: 5 PIM (Check from Behind)

Devils camp invite LW/C Remy Giftopoulos scored a goal, wore the C.

Kitchener lost to Sudbury 5-2
Ben Thomson LW: Doesn't look like he played.

Kingston defeated Oshawa 4-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP)

WHL Preseason
Kelowna defeated Kamloops 4-0
Damon Severson D: DNP
Myles Bell LW: DNP

Both Severson and Bell have probably made their way to NJ.

#138 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Saturday 9/7
QMJHL Preseason
Gatineau lost to Ottawa 4-1
Anthony Brodeur G: 21 Saves on 24 Shots

OHL Preseason
Windsor lost to Sarnia 6-2
Ben Johnson RW: Didn't do anything notable. Was RW on well regarded 2014 prospect, Josh Ho-Sang's line.

Kitchener lost to North Bay 4-1
Ben Thomson LW: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)

Kingston defeated Belleville 7-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: At least a goal.

Once again, it's hard to really get much info on the OHL preseason.

WHL Preseason
Swift Current lost to Medicine Hat 3-2
Graham Black C: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 6-1
Damon Severson D: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)
Myles Bell LW: DNP (Off to Devils Camp)

#139 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

I think Bell playing another year in the WHL could be a good thing since he has only played one year as a forward. I understand that this would be his 4th year but second  as a forward and a chance to really (potentially) dominate the WHL in scoring could be a good step for his confidence which, considering his past, could be a good thing for him before he turns pro.

Posted Image

#140 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Preseason is preseason but it looks like Kingston will be much better this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users