Photo

Ryane Clowe signs with the Devils. 5 years. 4.85 per.

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

I like Clowe alot, 5 yrs at almost 5mil is crazy, but thats what the market is, most of us complain that LL never dips into free agancy, and then when he does we get annoyed at the contracts, we cannot have our cake and eat it to. 

I think he can be a productive player for the Devils, lets wait and see... 

I'm starting to get excited about this year, if LL would only waive Vol & Tal i"d be thrilled!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#42 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

does this pretty much mean Clarkson isn't coming back? I mean there's still room financially for Clarkson to come back isn't there?

I think Lou closed the page on that chapter 2 days ago :/

#43 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Any news on whether there's a NTC/NMC involved?

The deal is on Capgeek (as is Elias and Zubrus') and there is no NTC/NMC on Clowe, but there is on both Elias and Zubrus. Have to wait and see is my guess. Ive not seen anyone mention one.

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Don't like it, but don't fully hate it.  The idea is right, and Clowe has been a part of some real good Sharks teams, but I don't like the idea of paying guys who play with great teams who don't seem like great players themselves.  Plus you'd think you'd get a discount on a guy who pissed off the shooting gods last year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

I like Clowe alot, 5 yrs at almost 5mil is crazy, but thats what the market is, most of us complain that LL never dips into free agancy, and then when he does we get annoyed at the contracts, we cannot have our cake and eat it to. 

I think he can be a productive player for the Devils, lets wait and see... 

I'm starting to get excited about this year, if LL would only waive Vol & Tal i"d be thrilled!

Exactamundo

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#46 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I think Lou feels he signed the better of the two players and got Clowe cheaper.  I think Clowe will be a very good Devil and play PDB's cycle game very well.

#47 shornick

shornick

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Have a feeling Lou offered this same contract to Clarkson. Once turned down it was easy to use white out and change the name.
Strong player, over paid but hopefully he stays healthy. He'll be good in corners and creating space for players with speed, if we are able to find some of them. If he keeps up the concussion streak, ltir and we have space again.
Not really what I was hoping for when Lou said we needed scoring but has to work within reason. Prefer to not sacrifice future with stupid signings just for same of it.

#48 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Going to miss Clarky. Always loved the tougness he bought to the team day in and day out.

I hope Clowe stays healthy and shows he can still score.

Mike

Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 Taiter32

Taiter32

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Clowe is a 45-70 point guy in a healthy season, and 45 points is a bare minimum, hes a guy that can hit and play well without the puck thus like clarkson. Clowe is one of the guys that tons of team want. Now with clarkson signing 7 year near 6 million per season from what I'm hearing, clowe is better bang for the buck. Throw clowe with kovalchuk and he could get some more points and also bump up his productions by creating him some more place. I just wonder how many people bashing him actually know his style of play / previous seasons. 

Edit: Now that I see Clarky is 5.25m for 7 years. Thats overpaid more then clowe IMO

Edited by Taiter32, 05 July 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#50 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Don't like it, but don't fully hate it.  The idea is right, and Clowe has been a part of some real good Sharks teams, but I don't like the idea of paying guys who play with great teams who don't seem like great players themselves.  Plus you'd think you'd get a discount on a guy who pissed off the shooting gods last year.

Well he should fit in perfectly with the way the Devils pissed off the shooting gods last year.

In all seriousness, I agree with your mixed reaction to it. I get the overpayment because it's free agency so I won't complain. I like him as a 3rd line guy who could cover in a top 6 role from time to time but his health going forward is worrisome. If healthy I think he will be a nice fit on this team.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#51 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I like him well enough - but I am reticent. 

The vibe I feel is, he's a guy where you see him against your team and you think he's great...but when you don't see it day in and day out and look back, he's kind of done nothing - except that time he played against you. So I'm hoping he's bringing something intangible, not just playing well against the Devils.  I hope he's not head achy either.  It may be he's never been given proper time to heal.  I think the Devils have a nice handle on/respect for concussions now. 

He IS funny/grumpy and kind of an ass.  He will be the guy we get to freaking grump out about, for sure.

EDIT:  Oh cute -- we all feel the same way.  I think part of me feels he's going to earn that paycheck just hearing us fans bitch while he's feeling flippin' infuriated/frustrated on top of it all.  It's fair for the torture we'll dish out and more than fair if he shuts our bitching down with action!

Edited by Pepperkorn, 05 July 2013 - 01:18 PM.

I'm here for the party

#52 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I kinda like this deal. Just hope we sign one more forward. (Or trade some D for one.)

Posted Image

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Well he should fit in perfectly with the way the Devils pissed off the shooting gods last year.

In all seriousness, I agree with your mixed reaction to it. I get the overpayment because it's free agency so I won't complain. I like him as a 3rd line guy who could cover in a top 6 role from time to time but his health going forward is worrisome. If healthy I think he will be a nice fit on this team.

I don't think this is how NJ sees him at all.  I think they think he's going to play with Kovalchuk.

Edited by Triumph, 05 July 2013 - 01:18 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#54 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Clowe is a 45-70 point guy in a healthy season, and 45 points is a bare minimum, hes a guy that can hit and play well without the puck thus like clarkson. Clowe is one of the guys that tons of team want. Now with clarkson signing 7 year near 6 million per season from what I'm hearing, clowe is better bang for the buck. Throw clowe with kovalchuk and he could get some more points and also bump up his productions by creating him some more place. I just wonder how many people bashing him actually know his style of play / previous seasons. 

Edit: Now that I see Clarky is 5.25m for 7 years. Thats overpaid more then clowe IMO

If Clowe has 70 points next season, I'll buy everyone on this board a beer, maybe even two. He'll be lucky to top 50-55 points.

#55 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Bad deal. Way too much $$

#56 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

My main issue with this is that we were a team last year that struggled to score goals and are in general a team that needs to score goals and we have lost two of our biggest goal-scorers the last two years and yet Clowe scored 3 goals in 40 games last season. He did underachive but this is a $5 million a year question mark. I would almost rather give Clarkie the 7 yr Toronto contract at the slightly higher cap hit and keep his 20-25 goals, almost.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#57 Taiter32

Taiter32

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

If Clowe has 70 points next season, I'll buy everyone on this board a beer, maybe even two. He'll be lucky to top 50-55 points.

To be honest 50-55 points should be no problem for clowe, as long as hes healed from his concussion and what not.

#58 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

My main issue with this is that we were a team last year that struggled to score goals and are in general a team that needs to score goals and we have lost two of our biggest goal-scorers the last two years and yet Clowe scored 3 goals in 40 games last season. He did underachive but this is a $5 million a year question mark. I would almost rather give Clarkie the 7 yr Toronto contract at the slightly higher cap hit and keep his 20-25 goals, almost.

I have a hard time seeing Clarkson scoring 25.

Posted Image

#59 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I think Clowe is less of a question mark than Clarkson. He has been pretty consistent with his goal production over the last 5 years until last year. Clarkson is banking off one great year and a good 14 game stretch. Let's not forget he had 8 points over the final 34 games last season.

believe-devs.jpg

#60 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

As others have said it's what the market is this year.  Lou paid what he had to and it's better then giving Clarkson 7 year at over 5M.  Not to address scoring, oh and our Defense still sucks...

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users