Photo

Michael Ryder signs with the Devils - 2 years 7M/$3.5 per.

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

is he a 2nd line player do you think?

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,943 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Seems like a very fair deal.  All in all, it's been a pretty good off-season and first day of UFA.  Lou didn't get caught up in the Clarkson silliness, overpaid for Clowe (but I'd rather this than Clarkson getting the same deal from the Devils that he got from the Leafs), kept Loki, acquired Schneider, signed Ryder to reasonable dollars...this team should be in the playoff hunt, at the very least.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

How long before McFarlane toys makes a Maple Leafs David Clarkson?

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,943 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

How long before McFarlane toys makes a Maple Leafs David Clarkson?

This has what to do with Michael Ryder exactly?

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,038 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Just spitballing here: Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk Elias-Zajac-Ryder Clowe-Josefson-Zubrus Carter-Gionta-Bernier/Olesz

Edited by MadDog2020, 05 July 2013 - 05:57 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#26 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Love this deal.

#27 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

can we nickname him butterfingers

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GxFW25Gtfrk

#28 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Just spitballing here: Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk Elias-Zajac-Ryder Clowe-Josefson-Zubrus Carter-Gionta-Bernier/Olesz

Or maybe something like:

Kovy-Lokti-Clowe

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus

CBGB/Olesz

However you put it together, pretty solid 4 lines, if you ask me.

#29 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SPORm7jWjFk

#30 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,038 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Or maybe something like:

Kovy-Lokti-Clowe
Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus
CBGB/Olesz

. Definitely. I like our lineup. We're better than when we got up this morning.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#31 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,943 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

. Definitely. I like our lineup. We're better than when we got up this morning.

It feels like an "if" team with a good upside.  If it all works out, I can see it taking a while to jell, figuring out who can play with who, etc. 

#30 FOREVER!

#32 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

The more I look at this move the more I like it. 35 goals in 2011/12, on pace for ~28 this year... 3.5M per year short-term taking him to 35 y.o. What's not to like?

#33 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

YES!

#34 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

This is a solid role player addition, good signing. Now we have a nice sniper on top two lines

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#35 Aitchmack

Aitchmack

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Or maybe something like:

Kovy-Lokti-Clowe

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus

CBGB/Olesz

Don't forget Tedenby is on a one way contract next season as well.

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

You've got guys like Elias, Zubrus, Zajac, and even Loktionov to do the heavy lifting for the scoring players.  Ryder signed for less than Briere and is probably a better fit and a better player.  Great signing.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with this trade. Only two years and pretty cheap given what he can do. I hope he plays on a line with Elias and could see him putting up close to 30 goals if he does. Seems like it'd be a perfect match. The only question I have is does Uncle Lou let him wear #73?

oKCiNj.jpg

#38 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Am I missing something or is this a fantastic deal? He is 33, but he put up 35 goals two years ago and scored 21 points in 27 games for the Habs last season. I was sure that he would get more money and more years than this.

A great deal. And it's 35 points in 46 games last year in a weird year with two different teams - that's a pretty consistent half season. He also had about a .158 shooting percentage and 8 of his 16 goals came on the PP. He has scored 50+ points 5 times in 9 seasons (60+ twice).

Edited by Neb00rs, 05 July 2013 - 06:31 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#39 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,341 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Ryder is a little older than I thought he was (turning 34 in March 2014)

So two years is perfect, but I'm shocked nobody coughed up that 3rd year.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#40 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Don't forget Tedenby is on a one way contract next season as well.

I didn't forget him, I just don't see where he would fit given the players we now have. A one-way contract doesn't guarantee that he will be in the NHL. Of course, there is still plenty of off-season, and maybe there will be trades or something that will change things still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users